What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Tigerm

Coach
100% he does.
He is a mid level manager in the football operations department behind the Director of Football and the Head Coach.
I don't think he does, I believe he reports to Danny Stapleton who is a board member and heads the WT football committee?

Scott's role is to find the type of players that the recruitment committee want, Scott, Danny, Benji and Justin (I believe) are the committee, I think here is a finance guy in there as well (his name escapes me)?

Though according to the latest ATB podcast, JP said that the head coach will have final say in recruitment.

Last edited:
100% he does.
He is a mid level manager in the football operations department behind the Director of Football and the Head Coach.

All good on paper, but if he was truly answerable to Benji, he wouldn't be having robust discussions or ringing JP at all hours.

Benji wants a player he doesn't like, he can throw the old arm over.

I don't think he does, I believe he reports to Danny Stapleton who is a board member and heads the WT football committee?

Scott's role is to find the type of players that the recruitment committee want, Scott, Danny, Benji and Justin (I believe) are the committee?

Though according to the latest ATB podcast, JP said that the head coach will have final say in recruitment.
If you think the "Ask the Sloth" is an example of truthful and honest reporting, I think you're missing something.

Benji doesn't know what he's doing.

Tigerm

Coach
If you think the "Ask the Sloth" is an example of truthful and honest reporting, I think you're missing something.

Benji doesn't know what he's doing.
Whether you like it or not, JP is the CEO and Benji is the head coach, but they all report to JP. I have no reason to doubt that its truthful as it's just stating the facts.

As yet, we don't know if Benji doesn't know what he's doing, and we won't know till next season.

But I'd be pretty certain Benji knows more about it than us.

Whether you like it or not, JP is the CEO and Benji is the head coach, but they all report to JP. I have no reason to doubt that its truthful as it's just stating the facts.

As yet, we don't know if Benji doesn't know what he's doing, and we won't know till next season.

But I'd be pretty certain Benji knows more about it than us.
They aren’t facts, especially from ask the sloth they are assertions.

Based on the last two years, there’s very little evidence to support the club is actually truthful. Its more about propaganda

Benji is not an nrl coach, in fact, he’s never been a coach. He’s pretty much guessing, especially if hes learned from Tim. The way the halves played this year speaks to his inexperience.

My top 6 lies or misleading statements from the club in the recent past:-

1. Tim is the head coach and has a contract for 2024. Lee Tim sacked
2. Peter Peters statement is defamatory. Lee Not sued
3. Would like to thank Brook's' for his loyalty: GTA Successful on the 4th attempt to leave, Didnt give us final say
4.We will have a better season in 2023 Justin lol
5. I'm accountable:, we are all accountable Lee Corrected recently. We are a corporation
6. Tim has done a lot for the club: GTA 2 spoons and then runs off into the night.

I hope Tim's wife enjoyed her job at the club. Definitely there on merit of course.

My point is just be careful believing anything the club says. For a time there, you could almost bet on the opposite.

Last edited:

TroyJax

Juniors

Scott's role is to find the type of players that the recruitment committee want, Scott, Danny, Benji and Justin (I believe) are the committee, I think here is a finance guy in there as well (his name escapes me)?

If this is true, then our club is more f**ked than I thought.
That’s the most imbecilic setup you could imagine.

TroyJax

Juniors
All good on paper, but if he was truly answerable to Benji, he wouldn't be having robust discussions or ringing JP at all hours.

Benji wants a player he doesn't like, he can throw the old arm over.
Why would that be the case?
The recruitment guy is at least one rung lower than the coach.
If he can circumvent the coaches wants, then we have a huge indicator as to why this club stinks as it does.

Why would that be the case?
The recruitment guy is at least one rung lower than the coach.
If he can circumvent the coaches wants, then we have a huge indicator as to why this club stinks as it does.
Don’t forget that Pascoe and the club circumvented Tim and Benji when they went after Fulton! Basically hired the recruiter without any consultations with the coaches.
Anything goes in our organisation.

But I thought it was a good thing as I never agreed with 5 years of lockdown with Tim and/or Benji. The prospect was horrific.

The poor results this year seem to support the boards decision to rat on Tim.

And now Morris is a “no more to pay” instant stand in coach if Benji fails. A kind of insurance Policy.There was an unverified rumour he was one of the passed over applicants last year.

Tim was a mistake but it’s kind of being fixed.

I agree with the 360 boys, i think Benjis come in before he’s ready and now with Fulton long-gaming recruitment, not much quality on the market -it’s a tougher ask for instant success that Benji is expected deliver.

Doogie not back until July next year and probably ginger when he does return, realistically 2025 to get him anywhere near where he was physically. He might be excess to requirements. I feel for him. I’d like to keep him if we can, but that may be impossible.

Fulton would be mapping out 2025 and tentatively 2026 by now.

Tigerm

Coach
If this is true, then our club is more f**ked than I thought.
That’s the most imbecilic setup you could imagine.
I don’t see it that way, because if Scott reported directly to Benji, then he just becomes a yes man.

We would have had to do this after what Ivan did to us and our salary cap. We have only just recovered from his shit.

I'm pretty sure that Kevin Walters has said the Bronco's operate the same system, so I assume this is pretty standard these days.

TBH, I would like to see he old selection committees re-established.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
The last thing Benji wants is Fulton the pest ringing him every five minutes.. Pascoe is acting as a buffer for Benji..He probably emails Benji with Fulton’s thoughts.. Then Benji emails back “Fk off that player, have a look at that player”. As Lee said everything Benji try’s he succeeds at (apart from rugby Union of course) Don’t be mistaken, Benji is the guy now.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
If it was up to a Fulton we’d have shuster at WT and we’d be up to our eyeballs in schuster misery. . Benji knew he was rubbish before Gordsy knew.... saying he has massive talent was just diplomacy..

Tiger Ted

Bench
Doogie not back until July next year and probably ginger when he does return, realistically 2025 to get him anywhere near where he was physically. He might be excess to requirements. I feel for him. I’d like to keep him if we can, but that may be impossible.

D

Tiger Ted

Bench

Doogue should give it away.3 ACL’s to the one knee he will probably get a contract somewhere else for the minimum wage.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Here is the important stuff

Tigers fans protest as sorry season hammered home by rampant Manly​

Angry Wests Tigers fans staged a protest on the Brookvale Oval hill as the joint-venture slumped to a second straight wooden spoon with a 54-12 flogging from Manly on Friday night.

In a fitting end to a sorry season, the Tigers were completely outplayed, letting in a long-range try in the first minute and never getting a foothold in the contest.

A group of about 40 Tigers fans chanted for chief executive Justin Pascoe’s exit on the seven-minute mark, handing out flyers labelled “end the Pascoe fiasco”.

Multiple banners calling for the CEO’s exit were also hoisted on the famous hill, before security forced them to be taken down at half-time claiming the venue had deemed them “offensive”.

Club bosses have long maintained the joint-venture is on an upward trajectory off the field, while the pathways program is in good shape with three Australia schoolboys players and a trio of 18-year-olds taking to the field on Friday night.

But after 12 straight seasons out of the finals, fans have made clear they believe enough is enough.

Friday night’s capitulation marked a sad end to Tim Sheens’ 40-year span as a first-grade coach, with the veteran mentor still officially in charge alongside Benji Marshall.

The Tigers finished with 61 missed tackles as Manly broke the line 16 times and even left some points on the field in the first half.

For the Tigers, the 2023 campaign has been simply another disappointment.
Their four wins is no improvement on last year, they have conceded almost as many points (675) and collected a second straight wooden spoon.

AAP

Shredder

Juniors
I might be completely wrong here.
When we signed Morris as Assistant Coach we made a big statement about it being for four years.
Ive never noticed a club signing an assistant and making a big deal about how long hes signed for.

Not sure if this means something. Maybe the reports of Benji being on the outer already are true?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I might be completely wrong here.
When we signed Morris as Assistant Coach we made a big statement about it being for four years.
Ive never noticed a club signing an assistant and making a big deal about how long hes signed for.

Not sure if this means something. Maybe the reports of Benji being on the outer already are true?
They will let Benji win two more wooden spoons before handing it to Morris for two years before bringing in Roy Masters to mentor Aron Woods for two years .

Ned Kelly

Juniors
www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news/nrl-2023-wests-tigers-season-review/ar-AA1gbAQA

NRL 2023: Wests Tigers season review​

Story by Kye Kuncoro • 7h

Just when the Tigers fans thought things couldn’t get any worse, somehow it did.

Following a 2022 season where they finished last and sacked Michael Maguire, Wests have picked up their second consecutive wooden spoon this campaign and have moved on from yet another coach prematurely.

The struggling Tigers managed to break all the wrong records in 2023, going on one of the worst losing stretches in NRL history.

The marquee signings made over the off-season had many experts predicting at least an improvement in the sides' form, but they for the most part were unable to fire on a consistent basis.

A lack of creativity in attack and poor goal-line defence plagued the Tigers all season, ultimately resulting in the firing of Tim Sheens - their sixth coaching change in the past decade.

Unfortunately, all the optimism that followed the Tigers into this season quickly diminished as the club found itself at rock bottom and it will be up to Benji Marshall to turn things around.

Did the Tigers over-deliver or under-deliver in 2023?

The expectations on the Tigers this season were simply to avoid the spoon and to be competitive. It’s safe to say the Tigers have accomplished neither and have UNDER- DELIVERED in 2023.

Just when the Tigers fans thought things couldn’t get any worse, somehow it did.

Following a 2022 season where they finished last and sacked Michael Maguire, Wests have picked up their second consecutive wooden spoon this campaign and have moved on from yet another coach prematurely.

The struggling Tigers managed to break all the wrong records in 2023, going on one of the worst losing stretches in NRL history.

The marquee signings made over the off-season had many experts predicting at least an improvement in the sides' form, but they for the most part were unable to fire on a consistent basis.

A lack of creativity in attack and poor goal-line defence plagued the Tigers all season, ultimately resulting in the firing of Tim Sheens - their sixth coaching change in the past decade.

Unfortunately, all the optimism that followed the Tigers into this season quickly diminished as the club found itself at rock bottom and it will be up to Benji Marshall to turn things around.

The Sporting News reviews the Wests Tigers season below.

The expectations on the Tigers this season were simply to avoid the spoon and to be competitive. It’s safe to say the Tigers have accomplished neither and have UNDER- DELIVERED in 2023.

The acquisitions of Isaiah Papali’i, John Bateman, Apisai Koroisau and David Klemmer were supposed to at the very least push the Tigers off the bottom and towards a finals finish.

The standout from those signings has to be Api Koroisau who was arguably the side’s best, showcasing elite leadership and craftiness.

The other aforementioned signings were okay but not spectacular, with the emergence of talented youngster Jahream Bula the Tigers' unexpected hero in 2023.

A lack of cohesion stung the Tigers to start 2023 as the new signings struggled to mesh, resulting in the clunkiest attack in the NRL.

Nothing ever seemed to fall into place for a side that often showed heart but consistently failed to find a way to win.

When did it fall apart for the Wests Tigers?

From Round 1 it seemed the Tigers were on the back foot as they failed to find any success in their first eight matches, going 0-7.

In particular, Rounds 1-3 were extremely poor as the Tigers dropped points to the Titans, Knights and Bulldogs - all clubs who were either struggling at the time or have finished the season outside the top-eight.

Their seven-game losing streak is officially the fourth-longest winless run to start an NRL season.

The Tigers' woeful 2023 was typified by their Round 18 performance against the Cowboys where they conceded 74 points, the largest losing margin in the competition’s history.

The Tigers from Round 14 to Round 24 would lose 10 straight games - their second-longest losing streak only behind their 12-game losing streak which continued from 2022 into the 2023 season.

An inability to execute when they found themselves in their opponent's redzone was the Tigers' glaring issue this season as they finished with the least points scored.

This firing of Tim Sheens who was only appointed 12 months earlier would exemplify the instability at the club with the Tigers seemingly always in a state of flux.

The best period to be a Wests Tigers fan

In terms of great wins for the Tigers this year, there was no greater than the 66-18 demolition of the Cowboys at Leichhardt Oval in Luke Brooks’ 200th game.

A special moment for both Brooks who has been a loyal servant of the club and the fans that got to experience their side triumph emphatically at their spiritual home.

The period between Round 9-12 was the club’s best they went 3-1 with the remarkable upset victory over the back-to-back premiers, the Panthers, and the Dragons.

At the time it looked like the Tigers had turned a corner. Brooks, Koroisau and Bula were firing in the spine whilst newcomers Bateman, Papali’i and Klemmer had adapted and were dominating the middle.

The Round 13 bye would kill all momentum though, as the Raiders' one point victory in the final moments would be the beginning of the end for Wests’ season.

Shining light: Jahream Bula

The emergence of Bula came absolutely out of left field as the unknown fullback quickly rose to prominence.

One of the club's best performers in 2023, his introduction into the side correlated directly with their success in the middle of this season.

Bula is a frontrunner for the Dally M Rookie of the Year award and has been integral in the limited success his side has found this season.

The 21-year-old finished the year with five tries, 59 tackle breaks, seven try assists, and 159 average run metres per game, single-handedly sparking the Tigers' sluggish attack.

It was his inspired defence that really stood out, as Bula was amongst the best defensive fullbacks in the NRL.

Bula made eight try-saving tackles across the season, with two of those directly impacting their Round 9 and 10 wins.

Will the Tigers improve in 2024?

Yes – it is almost impossible for the Tigers to fall any further.

Benji Marshall will take complete control in 2024 and will be expected to at the very least elevate the Tigers outside the bottom four.

Wests showed that they could win the field position battle on multiple occasions, it was just their inability to turn their field position into points that haunted them.

These graphs from The Rugby League Eye Test showcase the inefficiency that the Tigers had trying to score points.

They were elite at getting into the right positions but were unable to convert opportunities into points, resulting in losing winnable games.

These statistics do show that the Tigers are capable of being competitive and just need more polish to match their ability to gain metres.

The Brooks and Laurie combination between Rounds 22-24 showed the side can put on points with the Tigers scoring 18 or more against three top-eight sides.

That combination will be gone by 2024, and the Tigers will be hoping that they can find joy with the new partnership between expected signing Aidan Sezer and confirmed acquisition Jayden Sullivan.

Koroisau needs to be healthy for all of 2024 - the attack flows through his creativity around the ruck and it was clear he was sorely missed when he was unavailable through injury.

The duo of Stefano Utoikamanu and Klemmer did relatively well up front whilst a bit more attacking flair will hopefully allow the star edge pairing of Bateman and Papali’i to flourish.

The constant altering of the centre and wing pairings highlighted the uncertainty the coaching team felt in that area of the squad, which might need reinforcements.

The lack of depth in the halves was the Tigers' other glaring issue in 2023 which will hopefully be resolved by both Sezer and Sullivan, as well as young prodigy Latu Fainu.

Wests Tigers player movements 2024

Gains:

Latu Fainu, Samuela Fainu, Jayden Sullivan, Aidan Sezer

Losses:

Luke Brooks, Tommy Talau, Daine Laurie

Unsigned

Alex Seyfarth, Apisalome Saukuru, Brandon Wakeham, Charlie Staines, Tukimihia Simpkins

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
www.msn.com/en-au/sport/news/nrl-2023-wests-tigers-season-review/ar-AA1gbAQA

NRL 2023: Wests Tigers season review​

Story by Kye Kuncoro • 7h

The Sporting News reviews the Wests Tigers season below.

The acquisitions of Isaiah Papali’i, John Bateman, Apisai Koroisau and David Klemmer were supposed to at the very least push the Tigers off the bottom and towards a finals finish.

The standout from those signings has to be Api Koroisau who was arguably the side’s best, showcasing elite leadership and craftiness.

The other aforementioned signings were okay but not spectacular, with the emergence of talented youngster Jahream Bula the Tigers' unexpected hero in 2023.

A lack of cohesion stung the Tigers to start 2023 as the new signings struggled to mesh, resulting in the clunkiest attack in the NRL.

Nothing ever seemed to fall into place for a side that often showed heart but consistently failed to find a way to win.

When did it fall apart for the Wests Tigers?

From Round 1 it seemed the Tigers were on the back foot as they failed to find any success in their first eight matches, going 0-7.

In particular, Rounds 1-3 were extremely poor as the Tigers dropped points to the Titans, Knights and Bulldogs - all clubs who were either struggling at the time or have finished the season outside the top-eight.

Their seven-game losing streak is officially the fourth-longest winless run to start an NRL season.

The Tigers' woeful 2023 was typified by their Round 18 performance against the Cowboys where they conceded 74 points, the largest losing margin in the competition’s history.

The Tigers from Round 14 to Round 24 would lose 10 straight games - their second-longest losing streak only behind their 12-game losing streak which continued from 2022 into the 2023 season.

An inability to execute when they found themselves in their opponent's redzone was the Tigers' glaring issue this season as they finished with the least points scored.

This firing of Tim Sheens who was only appointed 12 months earlier would exemplify the instability at the club with the Tigers seemingly always in a state of flux.

The best period to be a Wests Tigers fan

In terms of great wins for the Tigers this year, there was no greater than the 66-18 demolition of the Cowboys at Leichhardt Oval in Luke Brooks’ 200th game.

A special moment for both Brooks who has been a loyal servant of the club and the fans that got to experience their side triumph emphatically at their spiritual home.

The period between Round 9-12 was the club’s best they went 3-1 with the remarkable upset victory over the back-to-back premiers, the Panthers, and the Dragons.

At the time it looked like the Tigers had turned a corner. Brooks, Koroisau and Bula were firing in the spine whilst newcomers Bateman, Papali’i and Klemmer had adapted and were dominating the middle.

The Round 13 bye would kill all momentum though, as the Raiders' one point victory in the final moments would be the beginning of the end for Wests’ season.

Shining light: Jahream Bula

The emergence of Bula came absolutely out of left field as the unknown fullback quickly rose to prominence.

One of the club's best performers in 2023, his introduction into the side correlated directly with their success in the middle of this season.

Bula is a frontrunner for the Dally M Rookie of the Year award and has been integral in the limited success his side has found this season.

The 21-year-old finished the year with five tries, 59 tackle breaks, seven try assists, and 159 average run metres per game, single-handedly sparking the Tigers' sluggish attack.

It was his inspired defence that really stood out, as Bula was amongst the best defensive fullbacks in the NRL.

Bula made eight try-saving tackles across the season, with two of those directly impacting their Round 9 and 10 wins.

Will the Tigers improve in 2024?

Yes – it is almost impossible for the Tigers to fall any further.

Benji Marshall will take complete control in 2024 and will be expected to at the very least elevate the Tigers outside the bottom four.

Wests showed that they could win the field position battle on multiple occasions, it was just their inability to turn their field position into points that haunted them.

These graphs from The Rugby League Eye Test showcase the inefficiency that the Tigers had trying to score points.

They were elite at getting into the right positions but were unable to convert opportunities into points, resulting in losing winnable games.

These statistics do show that the Tigers are capable of being competitive and just need more polish to match their ability to gain metres.

The Brooks and Laurie combination between Rounds 22-24 showed the side can put on points with the Tigers scoring 18 or more against three top-eight sides.

That combination will be gone by 2024, and the Tigers will be hoping that they can find joy with the new partnership between expected signing Aidan Sezer and confirmed acquisition Jayden Sullivan.

Koroisau needs to be healthy for all of 2024 - the attack flows through his creativity around the ruck and it was clear he was sorely missed when he was unavailable through injury.

The duo of Stefano Utoikamanu and Klemmer did relatively well up front whilst a bit more attacking flair will hopefully allow the star edge pairing of Bateman and Papali’i to flourish.

The constant altering of the centre and wing pairings highlighted the uncertainty the coaching team felt in that area of the squad, which might need reinforcements.

The lack of depth in the halves was the Tigers' other glaring issue in 2023 which will hopefully be resolved by both Sezer and Sullivan, as well as young prodigy Latu Fainu.

Wests Tigers player movements 2024

Gains:

Latu Fainu, Samuela Fainu, Jayden Sullivan, Aidan Sezer

Losses:

Luke Brooks, Tommy Talau, Daine Laurie

Unsigned

Alex Seyfarth, Apisalome Saukuru, Brandon Wakeham, Charlie Staines, Tukimihia Simpkins
I think we will improve, but it will all stem with the new halves and how they go.

Last edited: