What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Tigerted

Juniors
As good as teddy is we'd need 6 of him to neutralise the abundance of pathetic deadwood in the team.

Let's hope he remains with us for the entire duration of his career & he manages to win a premiership & hence wins the Clive Churchill medal.Geez I'd better stop drinking as right now it's inconceivable that we will ever make the 8 again.

Tigerm

First Grade
High price to pay

It's hard to see Mitchell Moses or Luke Brooks getting bigger offers than the $600,000 or so that they are looking at for next year if they take up the options they have at the Tigers.

Both players have wisely decided to leave the process to their agent.

"My manager is handling everything because I haven't really been in this situation before," Brooks said.

Moses said: "If I was worrying about my contract I couldn't concentrate on playing good football – and I have been pretty happy with how I'm playing and that's because I can focus." The issue facing the pair is that their manager has been asking huge dollars for them – around $800,000 per player.

They may be worth that in years to come. Right now clubs say they that they have been priced out of the market.

Which is good news for the Tigers. The most likely result is the the pair will take up options to stay at the Tigers.

The highest-profile Tiger and former skipper Robbie Farah has some simple advice for the pair:

"Don't let the dollars rule the decision that you make," he said. "Its about a lot more than that."

The ongoing questioning isn't getting to the pair, who seem quite relaxed.

Moses insists he is not playing the club by making them wait to see if they will take up an option after the original deadline of January was extended.

"I just don't want it in my head for now," he said. I like to play with a clear mind. If I don't things can go to shit."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sea-eagles-20160415-go7gjb.html#ixzz461dOltLH
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Tigerted

Juniors
Their deluded & dickhead manager is only asking for 800k !!!

The way they r performing for us their real value is 80k for brooks & 250k for Moses.

Tiger05

First Grade
Their deluded & dickhead manager is only asking for 800k !!!

The way they r performing for us their real value is 80k for brooks & 250k for Moses.

Exactly. In some ways I want them gone anyway if it's just about money to them. We aren't getting value for money off either of them as well.

They owe us big time now. It's time for them to put in some consistent high quality performances.

BrotherJim05

Bench
imo Farah was solid against Melbourne. He has a way of getting the forwards moving forward and didn't tire out playing 80 mins.

Our issue is our halves. Our passes aren't sticking and our last tackle options are fairly poor

Tiger05

First Grade
imo Farah was solid against Melbourne. He has a way of getting the forwards moving forward and didn't tire out playing 80 mins.

Our issue is our halves. Our passes aren't sticking and our last tackle options are fairly poor

Farah isn't exactly great when it comes to last play options either.

Farah isn't exactly great when it comes to last play options either.
Tiger05, that's a bit hit and miss. The 9's like the 6 & 7 are either brilliant or not. This year though, I think Farah is doing as he has been told to play i.e. let the 2 guys in the halves run the team and he can't as captain over rule that because he isn't the captain.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Farah adopted Taylor ball last year.
And Potter ball before that.

It actually wouldn't be so bad if he played more of his natural game, it'd take pressure off the halves

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I know it's Phil Rothfield, but:
Balmain Tigers’ future secured with funding agreement with NRL and Western Suburbs
April 18, 2016 4:26pm
Phil Rothfield Sports Editor-at-LargeThe Daily Telegraph

The future of foundation club the Balmain Tigers has been secured under a new funding agreement soon to be finalised with the NRL and Western Suburbs Magpies.

Under the new arrangements, Balmain will hold onto a 25 per cent share of the Wests Tigers joint venture with seats on a revamped board of directors.

Western Suburbs will pay the NRL $2.5 million of Balmain’s $5 million debt and take a 75 per cent ownership of the joint venture.

The final make-up of the board will be determined later in the season although the Magpies will have a majority on the board to match the shareholding.

The future of the independents, including chairperson Marino Go, will be addressed later in the season. Some will have to go under the new structure to allow Balmain to get two votes back.

Wests would also want to appoint their own chairman.

Balmain officials are still in talks with NRL accountants over the $2.5 million they will owe once Western Suburbs has chipped in with half the amount owed to the NRL.

It is likely they will be granted a three-year extension to pay the money back once the future of the Victoria Road development site in Rozelle has been settled.

Western Suburbs officials had the opportunity — and funds — to take complete ownership of the Wests Tigers but always wanted Balmain to stay involved and to play future games at Leichhardt Oval.

Source:

Tiger05

First Grade
Tiger05, that's a bit hit and miss. The 9's like the 6 & 7 are either brilliant or not. This year though, I think Farah is doing as he has been told to play i.e. let the 2 guys in the halves run the team and he can't as captain over rule that because he isn't the captain.

Farah adopted Taylor ball last year.
And Potter ball before that.

It actually wouldn't be so bad if he played more of his natural game, it'd take pressure off the halves

I think we need more out of Robbie. He put in a great kick for the Lawrence no penalty try. I also think he can get out of dummy half and create chances for us. He is also probably more consistent in the halves than Brooks and Moses.

Tigerm

First Grade
Appreciate that this is not a WT article, but jeeze we could use a few of him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/enf...n/news-story/55069a5b85180a1d32761b2d1c1938a2

THE talk is Beau Scott is not really in contention for the Anzac Test.

Too old, doesn’t offer enough in attack.

Which should make compelling viewing on Saturday night when the Parramatta enforcer runs out in Townsville to square up on his old sparring partner Johnathan Thurston — and his bodyguard Gavin Cooper, who is also being talked up for a Kangaroos debut.

Alongside Scott will be Kieran Foran who, in a couple of weeks, will be running out for the Kiwis in the May 6 Test in Newcastle.

Asked if he’d hate to mark up against Scott playing in a green and gold jumper, Foran laughed: “Yeah, he is a grumpy shit. I mean, he is just out to kill everyone on the field.’’

For years, Scott’s teammates have nicknamed him Milat, as in Ivan. It’s a joke, kind of.

At pre-season training just after he joined Parramatta, Scott’s no-holds-barred approach was basically responsible for the latest knee injury that ended Anthony Watmough’s career.

Scott makes no apology for the way he plays, or trains.

“I know a couple of the boys here, not having a go at me, but have a laugh because I go one pace at training but that’s the way I am,” he said.

Kieran Foran talks to teammate Beau Scott during the round seven win over Manly.Kieran Foran talks to teammate Beau Scott during the round seven win over Manly. Source: Getty Images
Asked about the Watmough incident, Scott reasoned: “That’s how it is.

“Obviously you have to compete hard at training otherwise you get into bad habits on the field.”

But seriously, Foran is a fan. And in awe of a player who has to get his own painkilling injections every time he runs to help dull a shoulder injury Scott has been carrying since the round-three win over the Bulldogs.

“He is a great bloke. He has been great for this team,” Foran said.

“His intensity, his want to win and his desire at training has rubbed off on everyone.”

We all saw that desire first-hand last weekend in the Eels’ win over Manly when Tom Trbojevic found himself in the clear with the tryline in front of him. From nowhere, Scott came charging.

As the ball spewed out of Trbojevic’s hands, no one could quite comprehend how the 31-year-old got to his 19-year-old opponent in the first place.

“I don’t know if he tripped in a pothole,” Scott said, with not even the smallest hint of a smile.

Beau Scott takes on the Panthers defence. Picture: Gregg PorteousBeau Scott takes on the Panthers defence. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: News Corp Australia
“Honestly, my first reaction was just to try to run him off the middle of the field to make him score a little bit further out so the conversion was a bit harder. But I think Semi (Radradra) picked him up on the tail and pushed him over so I was fortunate enough that he ran towards me.”

But as Foran explained, at this level the great players make their own luck.

“He does things in a game that change the game if you know what I mean,” Foran said.

“He is just that tough. He just never gives up on anything, he never wants anyone to cross that line.

“That is one of the main differences why our (defensive) line is the way it is.”

And you can bet Scott will have added incentive when he goes up against Thurston, who he has had a running battle with for years.

“I wouldn’t say I love playing him but he presents a challenge,” Scott said.

“The best player in the world.’’

Tigerted

Juniors
I was really hoping we'd sign him when he announced he was looking @ moving back to Sydney to be closer to family due to a child's illness I think.

Forwards like Scott r priceless for there attitude commitment & +ve influence on young up & coming forwards.
He probably wouldn't b earning much more than that soft bludger sironen.

Tigerm

First Grade
Looks like we are not the only ones seeing how it is.

Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses not worth $600K: Brad Fittler

WESTS Tigers’ poor form and that of halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses is likely to cost the duo any chance of significantly upgraded NRL contracts, according to Brad Fittler.

Brooks and Moses are off contract at season’s end, with their asking price said to be around $600,000 a season each.

However NRL great Fittler believes the pair are not worth anything close to that on the back of the Tigers’ 60-6 loss to Canberra on Saturday, their sixth successive defeat.

“C’mon ... please ...” Fittler said on Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.

“The first thing as a player, you have to be able to defend your line. They are not doing that very well.

“Luke Brooks does that pretty poorly, actually he gets out of the road a lot.

“You have to be able to do that because people can’t help you on the line.

“They most probably should start (to fix things) there.”

Having entered the season already under pressure amid the Robbie Farah saga, the heat is mounting for Tigers coach Jason Taylor.

Luke Brooks is struggling to defend his own line, according to Brad Fittler. Picture: Brett CostelloLuke Brooks is struggling to defend his own line, according to Brad Fittler. Picture: Brett Costello Source: Getty Images
Former Tigers lower grade coach Todd Payten, currently an assistant to Paul Green at North Queensland, has been mentioned as a possibility to take over at Concord.

Ivan Cleary is another. However Fittler said the Tigers’ problems stem from the players, not the coach.

Mitchell Moses is not worth the big price tag, according to Brad Fittler. “I think there were four or five tries scored from within five or six metres (of the tryline),” Fittler said.

“It doesn’t show much commitment.

“It is not Jason’s fault.

“They were not having a go there. It was just awful.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...r/news-story/2ec459fad318af0afc530d919cc62152

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon Fittler is a goose but he makes some good points.

“C’mon ... please ...” Fittler said on Channel Nine’s Sunday Footy Show.

“The first thing as a player, you have to be able to defend your line. They are not doing that very well.

Taylor should go as well though.

Tigerted

Juniors
Fittler is emphasising the obvious.

The primary fundamental of league is defence.The no. 7 is the worst defender I've seen in over a decade.Although the 6 is a more competent defender he hasn't been able to replicate his attacking performances v manly & warriors.

It would financially be in our best interests if neither our 6 or 7 remained with the club assuming we were to use the 1.1 - 1.2 mill judiciously coz there not earning 20% of their salary.We desperately need a 6 or 7 who is a solid defender with an excellent kicking game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously Ted, get over it. No one signs a halfback to be a good defender ffs.

Sure his defence is bad, but so is the defence of a vast majority of halfbacks in the history of the game.

Do you want John Morris and Jeff Robson as the halves do you, because they are good tacklers and nothing else?

Maybe Woods and Grant should play in the halves. They are good tacklers.

Seriously man, if that's all you are going to bag Brooks for then you are stupid and blind.

Tigerted

Juniors
He's defence is an Achilles heel but as I've said b4 his passing & kicking games have been ordinary.As a halfback madunit i expect the kid to display some skill & particularly some improvement in these 2 critical areas.Whats also very disappointing is the lack of enthusiasm he shows with a running game which potentially should be his strength.How much blame for this one can attribute to the coach I don't exactly know but the evidence is clear he isn't performing in any facet of a halfbacks game.I want this kid to excel & succeed for us long term but the confidence in him has plummeted as he is in his 3rd yr & stagnating.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's some stats for you Ted.

He has less missed tackles than Gareth Widdop, Jamie Soward and James Maloney and has missed as many tackles as Moses and just 2 more than Ben Hunt.

He has run the ball 15 times more than Moses and made more metres this year than other halfbacks like Ashley Taylor, Cooper Cronk, Trent Hodkinson, Johnathon Thurston, Luke Keary, Jackson Hastings and Jeff Robson.

He's created 9 chances (4 Try Assists and 5 Line Break Assists) which is more than Moses who has 8, Maloney (5), Townsend (6), Taylor (4), Dylan Walker (1), Green (3), Cronk (1), Mullen (8), Hodkinson (5), Foran (5), Soward (6), Cody Walker (8), Keary (4), Widdop (4), Hastings (7), Johnson (5) and is equal with Corey Norman.

Yes, he is playing poorly, to be death riding him like you are when the facts show he is performing reasonably well is a good sign, especially when we know he is capable of better.

Moses is the one who is performing closer to his best and that's a massive concern. A five-eighth who cannot even make a single run in an 80 minute game where the side is being flogged shows exactly where his heart is.

Brooks made more metres than Milone and Sironen, who both also played the full 80 minutes.

You need to take the hate glasses off and actually watch the games more closely. Given Brooks and Farah are not being allowed to play their natural games, while the style suits Moses better, it's Moses who is the worst performer.

Tiger05

First Grade
Madunit - I can see your point but there is one area where Brooks isn't performing assuming we forgive the defensive misses. He is consistently taking poor options in attack.

I'm starting to think that both Brooks and Moses can become NRL players but they aren't elite level players and may never get to that level. We need to pay them according to their ability and get a good forward pack. At that point we can reassess how they are going. At the same time they both need a lot of work on their games and if we have better performing players in state cup those guys should get a shot.

Tigerted

Juniors
Stats can tend to belie the reality & there r variables like the kind of draw uve had compared to other teams when comparing a particular attribute like try assists between halves from different teams.Theres no doubt that brooks's forte is his running game although hes not applying it judiciously.The overwhelming problem is that the rest of his game is poor & he constantly plays unintelligently as in when he passes on the 5th & we turn the ball over in our own half or makes those dumb no look flat passes not to mention his ineffectual kicking game. Additionally the tackles he misses tend to be very costly.

I don't hate the kid.I just don't believe he is of NRL standard & I hope that he proves me wrong in the future.Id like to c how he goes under a smarter & more respectable coach who can genuinely mentor him.

I think that both Moses & Brooks need to be playing with an experienced & successful half/5/8.Which one if any of these 2 we keep is a difficult decision @ the moment as they r both liabilities & hugely responsible for us not winning any of the 5 losses prior to the debacle in Canberra.

Latest posts