What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

WA Tiger

Bench
Hard to say what the motivations are with the sponsorship arrangements. Is it an endorsement of podcasters views or are they just supporting fan endeavours? The podcasters mentioned on air that their listeners were tired of the podcast endlessly criticising the CEO and maybe it is time to place the blame squarely where it belongs, at the feet of the board who hide behind the chair and the CEO.

Your timeline starts too early. Grant Meyer was CEO and Marina Go was the chair when the club made the stupid decision to punt Potter and hire Taylor. Taylor was already in the process of trying to force Farah out by the time Pascoe was hired, which was the catalyst for the Big 3 leaving. The only people who are still on the board from those days are Tony Andreacchio and Simon Cook.

It doesn’t matter anyway because like TSP said, the CEO is just a slave to the board. We know this from the last time Sheens was in charge. Sheens forced out Noyce, then he got Longmuir sacked which made Humphreys a lame duck. Expecting a new CEO to come in and make things better is wishful thinking. The board is not accountable to the members like they would be in a normal organisation because Wests Tigers members cannot directly elect Wests Tigers board members.
Holy shit That's full on.
ok..
It’s funny the only thing I can remember around the time of the Farah debacle is reading an article that quoted Pascoe saying (as you say having just arrived) “ I will sort this out”…blah blah blah I suppose he did but you’d expect a better solution than losing one of the top 2-3 players ever at WT as the solution.I’m pretty sure he suggested that he was tight with Taylor in that article as he was with Cleary when he was recruited as coach. So I’m thinking he had that influence without being league savvy at all.

When I think of CEO I always go to the Easts set up

Maybe Sheens could look at a position in “head office” after his coaching stint. Esp if he does good.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench

Looks like sheens won’t be happy with just getting into the 8. This year.
Well I expect the sheenius will
b quite distraught come September coz with our mediocre spine (except for Api) we’ve got buckleys of qualifying re finals footy

WA Tiger

Bench

The humbling of the thug has begun.. Its funny you know I always thought if a player passes in front of where a player is - to no one, then it’s the person passing the ball that's at fault. If the players not there to receive the ball, you don’t pass it! Luai did a No look pass to no one and he blows up in front of the cameras coz the receiver didn’t catch it.. Grow up you fkn idiot !

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Kikau helps Bulldogs snare promising forward from Tigers

The Wests Tigers are privately fuming over losing one of their brightest young stars to the Bulldogs.

Kitione Kautoga, who made his one and only NRL appearance for the Tigers against the Dragons in round 24 last year, is on his way to Belmore.

The Fijian forward, who scored three tries in NSW Cup in the opening round, was brought to the Tigers by former general manager Adam Hartigan. Hartigan is now at the Bulldogs working with Phil Gould.

The pair organised for Kautoga to meet with coach Cameron Ciraldo and his idol Viliame Kikau. It was enough to get him over the line.

The Tigers requested a $160,000 transfer fee from the Bulldogs to release him this year, but that doesn’t look like happening.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘Put up or shut up’: Tigers boss slams ‘clickbait’ media in fiery pre-game speech
By Michael Chammas
March 13, 2023 — 5.00am

Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis has fired a shot at sections of the media over the reporting of recruit John Bateman’s absence in the opening rounds of the season.

Hagipantelis addressed more than 200 guests inside the Centurions Lounge at Leichhardt Oval before kick-off against the Knights on Sunday, using his speech to defend himself and the club against suggestions the Tigers were misleading people over Bateman’s fitness.

The Herald was at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, when Hagipantelis reiterated the club’s position that Bateman was being rested to give him time to acclimatise after a shortened pre-season, and was not suffering from an ankle injury.

“Despite my public assurances that John Bateman is not playing due to any injury but rather for the reasons I have set out, there is still a section of the media that refuses to accept such declarations but rather, has positively asserted that we are fibbing and misleading our fans,” Hagipantelis told the club’s corporate partners and members.

“The public declarations which I make are based upon the information and assurances that I receive from those within the club who are possessed of the particular information. To suggest that I am fibbing or misleading our supporters necessarily implies that somehow I have been deceived as well.

“And knowing that deceiving the chair would not be a healthy career choice leads me to believe that what I have been told is absolutely correct and this is the information which I have imparted publicly. And there has never been any reason for me to question it.”

The Tigers have long held a view that they are unfairly targeted by certain sections of the media. The Herald approached Hagipantelis after the speech. He wouldn’t identify who he was referring to but said people could work it out.

“It did not take long for the club to become the target of slurs by a section of the media more intent on generating clickbait,” Hagipantelis also said in his speech.

“If any section of the media has evidence to establish that what I have said publicly is false or misleading, then I would invite them to provide [the] same to me. I would also caution anyone to suggest publicly that I have lied or misled our supporters. Some may construe such remarks as defamatory.

“Utilising the immortal words of Mark Twain in his 1889 Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court: “said journalists can put up, or shut up”. I apologise for the dark and somewhat sombre tone of today’s address.”

“I felt it necessary to ensure that all of those who are here fully understood that any and all information imparted on behalf of this club will be completely transparent and forthright. Please enjoy the afternoon. And I very much look forward to celebrating a Wests Tigers victory with you all later today.”

Bateman is expected to make his Tigers debut in round four.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

‘Pathetic’ Tigers’ Sheens revolution slammed as ‘coaching debacle’ emerges in Leichhardt​

Tim Sheens’ Tigers slumped to two disappointing losses on Sunday afternoon and the rugby league world has taken aim at the merger club’s attempted revolution.

Sheens, alongside Tigers legend Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah, were handed the reigns ahead of the club’s 2023 campaign, hoping to turn fortunes around in Leichhardt.

But after going down to the Titans in Round 1 and the Knights in Round 2, it seems there has been little improvement despite the recruitment of Apisai Koroisau, Isaiah Papali’i and David Klemmer.

On Sunday the Tigers were unable to overcome a Newcastle side without Kalyn Ponga after an ugly concussion and Jacob Saifiti who was sent off in the 40th minute — and The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield has taken aim.

“The story out of yesterday is the coaching debacle at the Wests Tigers, you defended Tim Sheens last year Laurie when I raised the fact he was 72-years of age,” Rothfield said on the Big Sports Breakfast.

“He had been out of the game, in England for 10 years and lost two jobs while he was coaching over there.

“You saw the way they played yesterday was just terrible, the Benji, Robbie, Tim Sheens coaching trifecta is not working, they were dreadful yesterday.

Rothfield also questioned why the club opted to keep halfback Luke Brooks who is reportedly earning upwards of $1 million-per-season on his current deal.

The Knights were desperate to sign the 28-year-old, however Sheens decided he would persevere with Brooks and rugby league legend Laurie Daley also slammed the Tigers’ Round 2 display.

“Obviously they thought they could get the best out of him (Brooks), I was disappointed with their performance yesterday, as I was in Round 1 and they need to improve quickly,” Daley said.

“What I saw from them yesterday was a team who just made mistake after mistake, they were rushing their plays, they had no one in their team to be able to calm everyone down and take the lead.

“They just were a team that looked frustrated, that tried to play way above their ability at this stage.

“But I have got every confidence that they can get it right over the long term, but over the short term they lack that leadership out there on the field.”

Fox League’s Michael Ennis also labelled the display “one of the most disappointing performances from the Tigers in recent history” and said their attack was “diabolical”.

Rothfield also highlighted how long ago Sheens had success as an NRL coach, having led the Tigers to a premiership in 2005.

“I don’t want to bag Tim Sheens heavy, but I did say last year I have a concern that he has been out of the game for so long,” Rothfield said.

“The premiership was in 2005, what’s that 18 years ago, Benji and Robbie are untried NRL coaches and I know there’s meant to be an apprenticeship here, and I know they are planning.

“They are not going to be anywhere near a premiership for the next three or four years.

“But you have to weigh up everything that happened yesterday, Kalyn Ponga went off yesterday very early into the game, Newcastle’s best player by ten lengths.

“Then they lost their hooker in Brailey.”

A heated post-match exchange between Jackson Hastings and the Tigers duo of Tommy Talau and David Klemmer also captured headlines.

Hastings, who left the merger club after the 2022 season, caught Talau with a high shot which sidelined the outside back for the remainder of the game.

After an interview with Fox League, Hastings approached his former teammate who shirtfronted the Newcastle halfback before a security guard intervened.

Rothfield slammed the Tigers duo for their actions and labelled the incident a “terrible look” for the club.

“I want to talk about what I thought was disgraceful sportsmanship there at full time... he did the right thing, he clipped Tommy Talau high early in the game,” Rothfield said.

“He went over there as footballers do after the game to shake hands, to apologise for the incident and to be then met with that kind of treatment from the Wests Tigers players was wrong.

“A terrible, terrible look to behave like that after a football game, having to be separated by bloody security guards.

“I don’t care what else happened, after a game you shake hands after a football game and there are some incidents that happen on a football field and stay on the football field.”

WA Tiger

Bench
So what Lee has done there, is throw everyone in the club under the bus giving himself an out if Bateman is injured as we all suspect. I hope he really is injured. The drama will be delicious to watch as he goes on the attack against his own.
That was such a pathetic out..Honestly if he cant see that he’s out of touch..well I mean he obviously can’t
We don’t need that bullshit representing WT. That would be a first from any clubs chair person.. making bold statements then blatantly prepared to pass the blame if there is any?

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
That was such a pathetic out..Honestly if he cant see that he’s out of touch..well I mean he obviously can’t
We don’t need that bullshit representing WT. That would be a first from any clubs chair person.. so blatantly prepared to pass the blame if there is any?
He just continually has to put himself out there.
Question: Who is the chairman of the Penrith Panthers? What about the Brisbane Broncos? Melbourne Storm? North Queensland Cowboys? Canberra Raiders?….etc