What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rangi Chase

SaintArsenal

Juniors
on the fence with this. Mainly because I don't quite understand the intent behind his recruitment. Utility player? Replaces Fien (during and at years end). Does that impact Rein and king's rotation? Fien's selection has the potential to do that anyway. Starting half or cover for both Soward and Stanley. I just don't know whether his price tag would warrant those positions. I must say that I base that off the clubs, and supporters, opinions of Rein, King and Stanley. Soward I don't know.

One thing I am a little worried about is this "keeping the powder dry" fallback statement. That to me will undoubtedly put huge pressure on the 2014 recruitment in a period where our coaching options may be up in the air as well. Next year is massive on field and off field in so many ways. Exciting stuff.

MattYg1

Bench
Umm...no. If it looks like shit and smells like shit, it's shit. We obviously have a major issue in our recruitment. And to call a winner of the Man of Steel "unproven" is absurd.

Another absolute sitter dropped. The right guy in the right position. Wanted to come home. Loves the Dragons. Crazy stuff. Really don't understand what the management at the Dragons is doing any more. Clueless individuals.

Re halves, Soward and Style should be the combination this year. It sounds like Style's injury is progressing quite well. Even still, I would rather he miss the first month or so and ensure he is right. Drinkwater deserves his chance to start. Young halves often go well.

Fien should be cover for injury. But I suspect that Price will name him in the team all year. If he doesn't take an opportunity at half off Style or Drinkwater he will probably take King's chance at hooker.

I meant NRL unproven... And I think it still stands...

casfan

Juniors
Hi guys
What i've heard today is rangi's visa runs out at the end of next season.
So he may have to leave the UK.
So the deal maybe back on and you wont have to pay a fee. Think that was the stumbling block. Though not clear on that.
So all is not lost, he could be yours this time next year.
Thats if you still want him.

Cheers
Casfan.

hardbaby

Coach
Hi guys
So the deal maybe back on and you wont have to pay a fee. Think that was the stumbling block. Though not clear on that.

Cheers
Casfan.

Well if it helps me sleep at night, I'll try believing it.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Hi guys

Cheers
Casfan.

But wouldn't this have been know at the time as well or was an visa extension knocked back?

Elias1983

Coach
Just saw this on the smh website.

Meanwhile, St George Illawarra coach Steve Price has revealed that the club withdrew from negotiations with England halfback Rangi Chase because he was happy with the options he had in the halves for next season. After being offered a release from Castleford to join the Dragons, Chase announced that he was staying put and Price said it had been his decision to withdraw from negotiations with the New Zealand-born playmaker.
He also said the club had not made an offer for Scott Prince, who has joined the Broncos after gaining a release from the Titans.
''We have got a number of potential halves there in Jamie Soward, Nathan Fien, Kyle Stanley and a young guy from Manly, Josh Drinkwater, and I just made the decision that I felt comfortable with the players we have got in that area at the moment,'' Price said.
''We have also got some exciting young hookers in Mitch Rein, Cameron King and Damien Cookso we are fine with what we have got in those positions.''
Stanley is understood to be Price's first choice to replace retired former captain Ben Hornby but the emergence of Rein and King will allow Fien to spend more time in the halves.
''A lot depends on how Kyle's knee comes along but he is doing a lot of straight line running and hopefully we will have him back for the first trial,'' said Price, who confirmed Kiwi international Gerard Beale would get ''first crack'' at fullback.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...urry-potter-20121105-28u5w.html#ixzz2BO9hghwR

Saintsified

Bench
i do, i think he inherited an ageing team and this year he will finally be able to put some spin on the team of his own, he has also shown faith in the kids coming through which now 1 year on (by the time they start next season) which gives them loads of confidence, with some players coming back from injury and frizzel and beale joining the ranks, a bit of luck with no injuries and we can be a top 4 squad.

Maybe I'm being naive but I'm heartened by the news that Kyle will be back and playing for the pre-season. He has to play and have a breakout season if we're going to be competitive. Good news. Love Fien, but he's at an age where he's long depth only. We're a laughing stock if he's first choice half.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Maybe I'm being naive but I'm heartened by the news that Kyle will be back and playing for the pre-season. He has to play and have a breakout season if we're going to be competitive. Good news. Love Fien, but he's at an age where he's long depth only. We're a laughing stock if he's first choice half.

Agreed, he's coming along quicker than I thought he would. But they say it takes around 18 months to get over a reconstruction, & for that reason I think Fien will be our halfback, at least for the first half of the season.

jenninga

First Grade
Keep that article for when we have to play Prior in the halves.
Does anyone have any faith in Price ??
If true then i am glad Price has made these decisions.He can work with the halves options we have.
Also can't wait for Kyle to get fit and start in the halves,about time.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Alot of next season will rely on how Kyle Stanley goes. If he stays fit I have no doubt he will be a huge hit bit that is a big IF with his record of injury.

Prior will be training as a fullback,centre, half back, hooker and five eight this off season. He has alot of positions to cover.....

bottle

Coach
So it wasn't 'we couldn't sign him' or some other bullshit.
Coach made a call, and then came out and said 'It's on me'.
Good for him. He now lives or dies by his own decision. He's not hiding.
I for one hope he was spot on.
I know too little about Drinkwater to have a view, but I'm guessing Price would have an idea about him.
Time, as always, will be the decider.

hardbaby

Coach
It comes down to faith. If the younger blokes can come through we actually have a better team than last year. We have Weyman back. I think Creagh and Soward will bounce back as well.

If Price pulls the right rein, we will be competitive and massively cashed up for 2014. If he doesn't he will be gone and we'll have a better coach and sign some missing ingredients. I can live with this. It's frustrating but you know, it's actually not that bad a situation.

What would piss me off is if we get to the end of the season and find that the younger blokes weren't given an opportunity.

Stockwell over Vea
De Belin over Prior
Drinkwater over Fien
King over Fien

This is what we need and it must be this way from the start; not just a knee-jerk reaction to a bad start to the season.

And I would like to sign Harrison. If we don't move Vidot onto the bench and let him play 30 minutes as a wide ranging back rower.