What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank the Brisbane bids

Perth Red

Post Whore
IF player depth was not an issue, a 20 team comp would be perfect. But it is an issue so this is just day dreaming.

2023-2025
•South Queensland Jets
•East Coast Dolphins

2030+
•West Coast Pirates
•NZ2, Melbourne2 or Adelaide

Rivalries created:
Jets vs Dolphins - instant cross town rivalry if brought in around the same time
Jets vs Broncos - new club In town vs old club
Jets vs Titans - Titans fans may see the Jets as a threat
Dolphins vs Broncos - new club in town vs old club
Dolphins vs Titans - south east qld
Dolphins vs Pirates - east coast vs west coast
Dolphins and Roosters - easts vs easts

it would be the ideal and I think it is possible if we had a really forward thinking strategic administration.

I’d stagger it though to mitigate risk and have Brisbane2 and perth in then brisbane3 and Adelaide (though I still believe Adelaide and nz2 would be more valuable to rugby league long term). There’s no certainty that Brisbane2 isnt going to struggle for the first few years, maybe longer, so there is a heck of a lot of risk in bringing two new clubs into the same market at once.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Out of the three bids who has the biggest catchment population the closest to Suncorp and best public transport route? That should be a big consideration if we dont want to see an empty ANZ looking Suncorp every time the new club plays there.

Going purely off google and the LC location you have

Jets - 40k approx. 1hr 15min public transport
Dolphins -42k 1hr 40min public transport
Firehawks 10kms - 30min public transport

Going on that alone unless Jets and Dolphins can attract a decent following from the inner areas of Brisbane Firehwawks look to be the better choice.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
it would be the ideal and I think it is possible if we had a really forward thinking strategic administration.

I’d stagger it though to mitigate risk and have Brisbane2 and perth in then brisbane3 and Adelaide (though I still believe Adelaide and nz2 would be more valuable to rugby league long term). There’s no certainty that Brisbane2 isnt going to struggle for the first few years, maybe longer, so there is a heck of a lot of risk in bringing two new clubs into the same market at once.

For a long time I thought the next 2 teams should be Perth and Brisbane2. I think bringing in 2 new Brisbane clubs (if that’s their long term plan) in at the same time would better for both the clubs than if they come in 5-10 years apart. If there’s 1 new team, non bronco fans in Brisbane may feel like that’s the team they have to go for, then in 5-10 years, “oh there’s ANOTHER team”. Whereas with 2 teams at the same time, the people of Brisbane are forced to choose a team. They’re instantly rivals.

I dunno, that’s just how I see it in my head. I’m sure there’s demographic studies and such that they’d be reviewing

The NRL will eventually go to Perth. It might be 5 years, it might be 30, but they will get there. I think if they only put one new team Brisbane to start with, the second may not make it

For a long time I thought the next 2 teams should be Perth and Brisbane2. I think bringing in 2 new Brisbane clubs (if that’s their long term plan) in at the same time would better for both the clubs than if they come in 5-10 years apart. If there’s 1 new team, non bronco fans in Brisbane may feel like that’s the team they have to go for, then in 5-10 years, “oh there’s ANOTHER team”. Whereas with 2 teams at the same time, the people of Brisbane are forced to choose a team. They’re instantly rivals.

I dunno, that’s just how I see it in my head. I’m sure there’s demographic studies and such that they’d be reviewing

The NRL will eventually go to Perth. It might be 5 years, it might be 30, but they will get there. I think if they only put one new team Brisbane to start with, the second may not make it
Great post. I'd go with Dolphins and Firehawks.

Perth Red

Post Whore

true but are there really 50k plus die hard RL fans in Brisbane sat twiddling their thumbs? You’re running a massive risk of diluting down tot he point where neither new club was viable. If brisbane 2 doesn’t have 20k fans from day one. Willing to get a membership and attend a game they’re in trouble.

T-Boon

Coach

Exactly. If they decide 3 is the right number long term then they should bring them in at the same time - certainly not staggered.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
true but are there really 50k plus die hard RL fans in Brisbane sat twiddling their thumbs? You’re running a massive risk of diluting down tot he point where neither new club was viable. If brisbane 2 doesn’t have 20k fans from day one. Willing to get a membership and attend a game they’re in trouble.
Yeah I’m just spitballing. Wouldn’t have a clue about how many fans they think they have waiting. If they DO think Brisbane can support 2 more teams, then I think a staggered entry would not be as effective in gaining new fans for both teams