What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raptors looking good

Yeah, when you look at the Bulls recent trades they have given up a lot of talent. The earlier trades were made by old GM Jerry Krause, while this one is the first by new GM John Paxson. Getting Antonio Davis I think is a good move, as he will be a good veteran role model for their 2 young 7-footers Chandler and Curry.

For the Raptors, they have added some versatility, playmaking and scoring, but have given up their 2 best rebounders. They will struggle to defend any good post players. Some pundits here think they will trade Mo Pete and Eric Montross's contract for a big man soon. But I'm not sure how good a big man they can get.

weasel

First Grade
It was a very encouraging result today. Every player seemed to stand up and have at least an above-average performance. Vince wasn't in scoring form but set up everyone else real well, Donyell Marshall played superb, Bosh was solid with a double-double, Rose struggled a bit but still helped out with a few assists and Alvin Williams took every chance he got to score. Even MoPete did well off the bench. Hopefully this is just a glimpse of things to come and not a flash in the pan performance, I think there's still lots of potential for improvement.

weasel

First Grade
Vince must seriously be lovin' the new personnel. Halftime in the second game with the new look Raptors and he's already got 16 points, 6 assists and 4 boards. :eek:

We are now up to 3-0 with the new players. Vince, Rose and Marshall really seem to play well together - it's great to see Vince with more skilled players to help him. There is talk of the Raps signing PF Tyrone Hill, recently released by Miami. He would help a little, but if they can swing a deal for a better big man, I think they can be a respectable playoff team in the East.

The Raptors went 5-0 post-trade, then lost 4 in a row. But tonight they beat the Knicks in OT. They still need to get one big rebounder/post player.

weasel

First Grade
The team is always so hot and cold. Ignoring the injury-ruined last season, we've been like that for several seasons. We always seem to do things in streaks, most notably losses, it's pretty frustrating cuz even in the years we've made the play-offs we've looked well placed to challenge for a high seed then suddenly drop four or five in a row.

weasel said:
The team is always so hot and cold. Ignoring the injury-ruined last season, we've been like that for several seasons. We always seem to do things in streaks, most notably losses, it's pretty frustrating cuz even in the years we've made the play-offs we've looked well placed to challenge for a high seed then suddenly drop four or five in a row.

Well you look to be right, Weasel, after the Raptors lost to Orlando yesterday. It was a terrible effort, and the coach was very angry about it. Vince had 1 rebound the whole game, and generally looked lackluster. The excitement of the post-trade win streak is starting to fade. They need a new big man.

I am going to the game against the Hornets on Jan 2. I have a friend who works on the scorers table at the games, and this year they have a deal where employees can buy 2 seats for the price of one. I have always been too cheap to pay for the more expensive seats in the "lower bowl", but I am taking my 15 year old son to this game with pretty good seats. He is a big NBA fan, and quite a good player.

So I will report back on how the team looks in person.

Well, my son and I saw the Raptors lose Friday to the Hornets. They have a very good team, with 3 big men, PJ Brown, Jamaal Magliore, and Robert (Tractor) Trayler who gave the undersized Raptors trouble. They also have a good backcourt in Baron Davis and David Wesley, with a good backup in Darrell Armstrong from the Magic. And their star player from last year, Jamal Mashburn, has been out with injury all season. If he comes back strong I think they can win the East, or at least compete with anyone in the East.

The Raptors played better in beating Phoenix Sunday, which we also went to. The Suns don't have dominant big players, and Marbury was cold, so the Raptors matched up well. Chris Bosh is struggling now - he was manhandled by 290 pound Jahidi White, the former Wizard.

Toronto really is an up and down team, as Weasel said.

The Raptors beat Lebron James and the Cavs last night, but rookie Chris Bosh suffered a mild knee injury and is sidelined for a while. They will really miss him as one of their few big men - I hope they make a trade soon and/or pick up someone on a 10 day contract.

Lamond Murray has barely played since the big trade. Kevin O'Neill has taken him out of the rotation, and recently he complained he wants to be traded. So I hope they can move him for a decent post player.

Up and down play continues as the Raps beat Portland today. Rasheed Wallace sat out for the Blazers, while Chris Bosh missed his 2nd straight game for Toronto.

Up and down play continues - Last night we lost to Detroit, a game where big Ben Wallace was ejected in the first half. Raps were winning most of the game but lost it in the 4th period. Then tonight we beat the Hornets in OT after losing Vince to an injury in the first period.

No word yet on how serious Vince's injury is. It's a "quad strain", just above the knee. Lately I don't think he's playing too well - it's amazing to me that he's the leading vote-getter for the All-Star game.

The Raptors have now lost 5 in a row, things are not going well. Vince misseed 3 games but has returned for the last 2, but did not play well in either.

EELS13

Juniors
The Raps are starting to look good again over the last few games. The went down by 1 to the pistons after actually having a big lead, lost to the Lakers by one and knocked off the Sixers. At the same time Carter is starting to play with a bit of passion and i cant talk strongly enough about the contributions of Yell Marshall. The guy is a champion and would definitly be my choice for team MVP for the season so far. Hopefully we can get a bit of a run happening and make some noise in the playoffs.
As i am writing this, we are smashing the Orlando Magic by 25 points, late in the third, although they are playing without T-Mac. GO RAPS !!!

The trade deadline has passed and the Raptors did nothing - very disappointing. Now Vince and Jalen Rose are injured, and they aree facing some tough teams in the upcoming schedule, and it looks like a losing streak is likely. Making the playoffs doesn't look as good as it did a month ago. :(

Last night we ended a 9 game losing streak with a win over Miami. Vince came back from 6 games off with an ankle sprain, to score 27 and lead the team to the win. Donyell played well also. Jalen Rose still out with broken bone in hand. The Raptors are trying to sign Vin Baker, released by Celtics, but the NBA put a hold on his signing until his grievance against the Celts is settled.

Raptors not looking good. They just fired GM Glen Grunwald. A nice guy, a gentleman who'd made some successful moves a few years ago, but lately has not drafted well or providided adequate big men on the roster.

I shook Grunwald's hand a couple of years ago at a game and told him he was doing a good job, which it seemed at the time. He's a good guy and it's too bad things haven't worked out. I think now there will be a lot of changes this summer. It remains to be seen if a new GM will keep coach Kevin O'neill or bring in a new guy.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Well they nearly killed there chances today of making the playoffs but dug in deep to come from behind in the last quarter needing a 3 pointer in the last seconds to snatch a 1pt win over one of the most inconsistant sides in the NBA being Cleveland.

What is just as important for the Raptors is that this win stops a 0-7 run and also pulls them within 1 of the Cavs.

Only a few more games to go and well you would have to be a brave man to say that the Raptors will make but well they still have some sort of a chance ;-)

Latest posts