What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raptors looking good

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Yeah they also lost today again - Well I guess they should loose as many games as they can now to try and improve there chances of getting the best draft pick they possibly can for next season :twisted:

On another note my beloved 76ers went down to the Wizards today as well, lucky for them Boston didn't win which means that Boston now can't win a game and the 76ers have to win there last 3 to make it to the playoffs :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Not looking forward to that!

No, they're slotted to pick 8th in the lottery unless they move up by a good draw of the ping pong balls. Hopefully they can get a solid player there, but the real hope is that they can make a trade and/or sign a free agent this summer. They need to add size to the lineup. Hopefully the new GM, soon to be named, can pull off some good moves and get the team turned in the right direction. They are going to be rid of the contracts of Hakeem and Eric Montross, which will free up some cap room for a signing or 2.

Some of the fans and media in Toronto say they should trade Vince and start over, but I don't think they will. It would be a hard sell to the fans to go backwards to rebuild, plus Vince is still popular among some fans. Even though others are getting tired of his underachieving.

Raptors got 8th pick in the lottery. Hope they can get someone good, but they better name a GM and coach soon to plan the draft. Right now there organization looks pretty unprepared.

SECAUCUS, N.J., May 26 -- Following are the results from NBA Draft Lottery 2004, which was conducted Wednesday evening at NBA TV's studio in Secaucus, N.J.
The Orlando Magic, who had a 25 percent chance of obtaining the first selection, will have the first overall pick in NBA Draft 2004, which will be held in New York City at The Theater at Madison Square Garden on Thursday, June 24, 2004.

1. Orlando
2. L.A. Clippers
3. Chicago
4. Charlotte
5. Washington
6. Atlanta
7. Phoenix
8. Toronto
9. Philadelphia
10. Cleveland
11. Golden State
12. Seattle
13. Portland
14. Utah

The order for the remainder of the first round picks is as follows:

15. Boston 36-46
16. New York (to Utah via Phoenix) 39-43
17. Milwaukee (to Atlanta via Denver and Detroit) 41-41
18. New Orleans 41-41
19. Miami 42-40
20. Denver 43-39
21. Houston (to Utah) 45-37
22. New Jersey 47-35
23. Memphis (to Portland) 50-32
24. Dallas (to Boston) 52-30
25. Detroit (to Boston) 54-28
26. Sacramento 55-27
27. L.A. Lakers 56-26
28. San Antonio 57-25
29. Indiana 61-21

Note: Minnesota’s 2004 first-round pick has been forfeited.

2004 SECOND-ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER

30. Orlando (1)
31. Chicago
32. Washington
33. Charlotte
34/35.* Atlanta
34/35.* L.A. Clippers (to Seattle)
36. Phoenix (to Orlando or to Atlanta via Orlando)
37/38.* Philadelphia (to Atlanta)
37/38.* Toronto (to Chicago)
39. Cleveland (to Toronto)
40. Boston
41/42.* Seattle
41/42.* Golden State (to Orlando via Philadelphia or to Atlanta via Orlando and Philadelphia)
43. New York
44. New Orleans
45. Milwaukee
46. Portland
47. Miami
48. Utah (to Sacramento)
49. Denver (to Memphis via Orlando)
50. Houston (to Dallas via Denver)
51. New Jersey
52. Memphis (to San Antonio)
53. Dallas (to Miami)
54. Detroit
55. Sacramento (to Houston via Utah)
56. L.A. Lakers
57. San Antonio
58. Minnesota
59. Indiana

* Please note that teams that finished the regular season with identical records will select in the second round in the reverse of the order in which they select in the first round.

I'm not sure about the Suns and Knicks' picks. The above list, from NBA.com, gives details of traded picks for the rest of the 1st round, and the 2nd round, but not the lottery picks.

The Raptors have finally hired a seemingly competent management team. The new GM is Rob Babcock, most recently Kevin McHale's assistant in Minnesota. They have added Wayne Embry, former Cleveland and Milwaukee GM as a senior advisor, and ex-Nuggets star Alex English as director of player personnel. I'm hopeful this team can get the Raps on track for the draft and the next season. Word is they'll hire current Pistons assistant Mike Woodson as the coach.

Raptors GM Babcock says he won't trade Vince without getting good value. And VC has 4 years left on his contract. I wish they could just trade him for another star at his position, like Ray Allen or Peja Stoyakovich. But it's hard to make deals with the NBA slary cap. I think he will play for the Raptors to fulfill his contract, if he's not traded, but who knows how well he'll play in those circumstances.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...call_pageid=969907729483&col=970081562040

thewizard1o1

Juniors
Good win for your guys, you have a nice solid team there with Bosh, Marshell, Vince and Rose all able to preoduce when needed. Should be a good season for the Raps.

I hope so. The team is still lacking a really strong big man. Loren Woods had some good moments tonight, but rookie Aroujo looked like a rookie. I think threy'll have trouble with Shaq, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal and the western big men. But then we did ok against Yao tonight.

Jonotallica

Juniors
Wizard, you left out Alston. Where's the love?

He and Bosh had really good games imo. Those 2 (with Rose and Carter) are a good combo, if they can get consistent and take the pressure off Carter doing it all himself, watch out.

I can relate to needing a strong big man, the Grizzlies interior D is abysmal. Slashing, post ups and penetration kills them everytime. Analysts in the season previews called them a donut team. Unfortunately there just isn't enough quality big men out there at the moment. And all the good ones, are under lock and key.

Yes, Rafer did have a good game. He gets the team running, and they need all the easy baskets they can get.

Alvin Williams played admirably at pg the last few years, and he would be a good backup at the 1 and 2 spots now, but unfortunately it looks like he needs knee surgery and will miss the season.

thewizard1o1

Juniors
Rafer, is a bit up an down....but then again who doesn't have those moments. Willams would have been a very good backup, very consistant and works very hard, bad luck about the knee though :( .

OT: How interesting is the All-Star going to be this year with Shaq backedup by J'o and the wallace brothers against the Bigs from the west.

edabomb

First Grade
thewizard1o1 said:
Rafer, is a bit up an down....but then again who doesn't have those moments. Willams would have been a very good backup, very consistant and works very hard, bad luck about the knee though :( .

OT: How interesting is the All-Star going to be this year with Shaq backedup by J'o and the wallace brothers against the Bigs from the west.
Too bad no one takes it serious!!!!

Will Rasheed make the All Star Game?

Speaking of the Pistons, the Raptors beat them tonight 101-89. Chris Bosh scored 18 points, while newcomer Loren Woods added 17 points and a career-high 14 rebounds as the Raptors defeated the reigning NBA champion Detroit Pistons 101-89 Friday night at the Air Canada Centre.

Six Raptors scored in double figures as Rafer Alston scored 13 points, Vince Carter added 12 - plus eight rebounds and five assists - and Jalen Rose and Morris Peterson pitched in with 11 points apiece.

Loren Woods is looking like a brilliant pickup by Raps new GM Rob Babcock. He could have signed an older journeyman big man, instead he took a shot at this young guy who was underachieving. I know it's only 2 games, but so far Woods has played very well. If he can keep it up and rookie Aruojo develops, the team will be far ahead of last year by having improved post play.

The Raptors play portland at home Sunday, then have a tough road trip out west. The worry is they could play well but still come home with a bunch of losses. But after 2 games things look good, at least. A more positive atmosphere than last year, as new coach Sam mitchell's enthusiasm seems to be rubbing off on the players.

Latest posts