What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raptors looking good

Nice win by the Raps over Knicks tonight. Jalen and Donyell played so well in the 4th, I hate the thought of them being traded. But Jalen's contract would free up a lot of cap space for next year, and Donyell's contract runs out this year. If they don't trade him they're likely to get nothing.

Lots of bad news lately - VC lighting it up for the Nets, lots of turmoil in Raptor camp. At least we beat the Clippers the other night.

I went to my first live game of the season last week, seeing the Mavericks. Mowitzki is so impressive live, he just glides around the court to an open spot, then hits the shot. What a shooting touch. Mark Cuban was there, sitting behind the bench.

The Mavs are loaded with talent - when Finley goes off, Stackhouse comes in and scores a bunch. Even without Steve Nash, they have so much scoring talent. They'll miss Nash in the playoffs though, and I'm not sure Dampier is the answer at center - he was hobbling on a bad knee and had trouble getting shots away in traffic. I think they'll struggle against the Spurs if they meet in the playoffs.

Raps defeated Lakers today for their 3rd straight win, and 4 of last 5. Two road wins before today's home game, including a defeat of VC and the Nets last week. I was disappointed they did nothing at trade deadline, but I hope they can keep up this good play and make a run for the playoffs. (I know that sounds unlikely.)

This off-season will be important with all their draft picks, plus hopefully some free agent signing.

Tonight Donyell Marshall hit 12 threes, tying the NBA record, as the Raptors defeated the Sixers easily. Just 2 nights ago they lost to the hapless Atlanta Hawks. Man, it's frustrating following such an up and down team.

Update: Raptors traded Rafer 'Skip to my Lou' Alston to Houston for pg Mike James at the start of training camp. Raps are 0-2 in pre-season play, but some good moments from Chris Bosh, and rookie Charlie Villanueva.

attamarrap

Juniors
raps aren't looking to good steve what were they thinking drafting charlie V so high I'm a U-Conn fan but damn i never expected him to go so high

Today they lost to Maccabi Tel Aviv, the first NBA team to lose to a European club team in 17 years apparently.

I think they took Charlie V because they needed more big men, though it's true he does play the same position as young star Chris Bosh. What they really need is a powerful center, but those are hard to get. I still hope they can make a deal for Toronto native Jamaal Magliore as his Hornets contract winds down. He would really complement Bosh, and is probably by far the best player who would actually like to play in Toronto.

Toronto native Jamaal Magliore traded to milwaukee for Desmond Mason and a draft choice. He wants to play in Toronto, and would be a perfect fit for the Raptors. Stupid Rob Babcock for not getting him. Some think he's waiting till magliore is a free agent in 07, but the Raps need a center now. And there's no center in the league nearly as good who wants to come to Toronto.

Raps lost a close one to the Wizards tonight in their opener. The 3 rookies Charlie V, Joey Graham, and Spanish pg Calderon all looked good. I think they're going to have a hard-working team, without the dramas of last year. Unfortunately that doesn't translate into winning in the NBA if you don't have the horses. They need a powerful center, and/or a guy who can get 25 per night. Bosh is very good and still improving, but I don't know if he'll ever be the scorer to be the #1 guy on a team. He'd be great as the #2 scorer on a team with a higher-scoring star.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/11/02/Sports/wizards-raptors051102.html

attamarrap

Juniors
this is the comment in the espn power rankings where they are ranked 30

Raps' outlook isn't that bleak. Most staffers agree that they'd rank as high as second if we did power rankings for the Israeli league.

ouch

Ouch indeed. Tonight the Raps looked terrible for most of a loss to the Nets - 28 points at the half. New Spanish point guard Jose Calderon is a nice player, though, and he led a comeback that got Toronto back in the game - within 12 anyway. Game 1 looked promising; game 2 looked like it's gonna be a long season.

Raps win - defeated the Miami Heat today. It's still gonna be a long season, and the only hope is to get a very high draft pick for next year, possibly #1 or 2. But today's game was still sweet. Charlie V is looking good.

attamarrap

Juniors
yeah he's playing good I thought it would've taken him longer to do well in the nba (I thought he should've stayed in college) but i guess the motivation of everyone giving it to him has really helped his game

Raps have won 3 of last 5 to finish December with a .500 record. Too bad we can't omit November's games.

Tonight a good come from behind win over the Pacers in Conseco. After being down 16 in the 3rd period.

The Raptors got a huge home win with a 121-97 victory - their fourth straight - over the Orlando Magic tonight.

A run to the playoffs may not be out of the question. January's schedule is favourable.

OTOH, maybe it's better to finish low and get high draft picks.

Raptors fired GM Rob Babcock today. Kind of strange timimg - he had a terrible first year with the draft of Aroujo and the VC trade, but this year his drafts and his Rafer for Mike James trade have been successful.

We have a long wait before we get a contending team again.

Latest posts