What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate the five-eighths form this season

Eels Dude

Coach
Look, if its one of those cheap ice blocks then no way, but if its a pine lime splice you might just get me interested.

We'll have to do a poll on how much forum members are willing to contribute to determine the quality of the ice blocks. Then do other polls at the end of every month to determine which players are the best in their respetive position to deserve this free ice block. If we roate the ice blocks colours we could call it 'Flavour of the Month' award.

eaglerock

Juniors
if i don't like it i'll express my opinion. That's what forums are for. Freedom of speech right?

Personally i think it's idiotic to judge a player's form and rank them after just 4 weeks. There's too many variables to consider. The amount of home games, quality of opposition, the performance of the rest of the side, off season surgery and recovery time, players adjusting to new positions, players adjusting to playing with new combinations etc.

neck up you parrot!, a good player will always play good no matter the 'variables"

go and print your teams name on the wooden spoon.

fourplay

Juniors
These threads are gauging public opinion as to which players have started the season strongly.

My top 3 would be Benji, Finch, Anasta. The rest have been solid, except for Bird who started the season too slowly, and Rovelli (Cowboys) who was solid first couple of rounds then lost it a bit. Thompson is a player of the future.

Lockyer was good last night I thought considering the circumstances. I want to rap Campese, from what I've seen he has been fairly good for the Raiders.

Who wants to bet how long until a halback thread?

How was Lockyer good? He ran the ball 3 times all night and his kicking game was avg at best. I think he kicked it into the in goal for a repeat set only once the whole game. Defensively he got shown up by Darius Boyd just before half time who ran around him to set up a simple try for Brett Morris.

Spot On

Coach
Marshall is playing very well. Playing a lot smarter than previous seasons. Definitely looks like he has matured. Finch has probably run more than any other 5/8 and this suits his game. Playing well at the moment. They're the two standouts for me as at r5.

typicalfan

Coach
How was Lockyer good? He ran the ball 3 times all night and his kicking game was avg at best. I think he kicked it into the in goal for a repeat set only once the whole game. Defensively he got shown up by Darius Boyd just before half time who ran around him to set up a simple try for Brett Morris.
Owned their first try to Copley and had one set up before Thaiday dropped the ball, his players are letting him down Lockyer has played as well as his teammates have allowed him to.

Benji Marshall is easily the form 5/8 of the competition and Bird is warming slowly to the task. Both teams as a result look like genuine title contenders.

boonboon

Juniors
Benji by a mile probably the best player in the game so far this year , finch has been strong, Campese and Anasta solid havent seen anyone else that has really stood out although my dislike of SOuths may be effecting my judgement on Sutton so leave that one open

fourplay

Juniors
Owned their first try to Copley and had one set up before Thaiday dropped the ball, his players are letting him down Lockyer has played as well as his teammates have allowed him to.

That's scraping the barrel a bit to credit all that to Lockyer.

The try came off the back of a good Corey Norman offload and a great run from Copley. Those two players deserve more credit in the movement than Lockyer's simple catch and pass.

Big Pete

Referee
Daniel Mortimer - Has been dissapointing
Benji Marshall - Great, the best I've seen of him since 2005.
Braith Anasta - Solid. Pearce and Carney stand out to me more though.
Darren Lockyer - Solid. Is being let down by his own team mates who crowd him.
Jamie Soward - Average. He's the ball dispenser, nothing more.
Luke Lewis - He's a good player, just not a five eigth.
John Sutton - Average.
Jarrod Mullen - Average.
Greg Bird - Playing out of position.
Brett Finch - Good, a stand out for the Storm since the WCC.
Trent Barrett - Solid.
Terry Campese - Solid, had a good first half against the Tigers.
Ben Roberts - Average.
Kieran Foran - Promising, showing some good signs.
Ray Thompson - Mixed, is basically playing as you'd expect from a rookie.
Joel Moon - Mixed. Decent runner.

fourplay

Juniors
Darren Lockyer - Solid. Is being let down by his own team mates who crowd him.

lol copying Gould's line. That happened once.. and in that play it appeared Lagi Setu and Thaiday were running up in line with Lockyer not to crowd him but to act as decoys for the 2nd man play which Brisbane always use. If the play was for Thaiday/Setu to receive the ball then they would have been a couple metres back.

Big Pete

Referee
It's happened more than once.

Since the Raiders game, Thaiday just seems to get in the way of Lockyer and the centres.

Dead set, did Lockyer run over your children fourplay?

DeeJ

Bench

The try came off the back of a good Corey Norman offload and a great run from Copley. Those two players deserve more credit in the movement than Lockyer's simple catch and pass.

Watch it again, Lockyer had to wrap around the handle the ball twice in that try.

He is playing well, his kicking game is sharp though not perfect, and he is setting up lots of opportunities for his team but inexperience and poor execution is letting us down.

fourplay

Juniors
Watch it again, Lockyer had to wrap around the handle the ball twice in that try.

He is playing well, his kicking game is sharp though not perfect, and he is setting up lots of opportunities for his team but inexperience and poor execution is letting us down.

Yeah I know he touched it twice.

Lockyer simple catch and pass to Norman, who runs at the line and throws a great offload behind him back to Lockyer. Lockyer throws another simple catch and pass next to him who happens to be Copley who shows great acceleration to bust through the line and score.

And that is why Lockyer had a good game? He made 3 runs the entire game and his highlight was a catch and pass off the back of Norman's offload.

The only tries Lockyer is really setting up are those for the opposition aka Darious Boyd and Brett Morris.

Anyway we'll see how the season progresses. :)

typicalfan

Coach

If Lockyer didn't double around the set play would have died off when Norman got stuck between passing and kicking. The play wasn't set for Lockyer to double around and a lesser player would not have done so.

Copley did do well putting the ball over but even in light of all that Lockyer had the bigger influence on the play.

And on the topic of Thaiday running into Lockyer he did it about 3-4 times that I saw. A reason why the left side with Gillett and Glenn who both played well looked so much more dangerous. Gus was right in this instance he mentioned how Thaiday should run unders lines as well at times giving Lockyer to create the equivalent space he was creating on the left.

Thaiday has the strength and the work ethic he just needs the variety in his running style that is probably what puts him just under other backrowers in the game.

Scottey

Juniors
James Maloney would be at stand-off if it weren't for Seymour's injury. He's killing it at the moment but yea, Benji's top.

Latest posts