What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate the five-eighths form this season

Ladmate

Bench
Well I saw one for fullback and hooker, so I thought I would make one about five-eighths. Rate the five-eighths forms this season.
Daniel Mortimer
Benji Marshall
Braith Anasta
Darren Lockyer
Jamie Soward
Luke Lewis
John Sutton
Jarrod Mullen
Greg Bird
Brett Finch
Trent Barrett
Terry Campese
Ben Roberts
Kieran Foran
Ray Thompson
Joel Moon

IMO, Mortimer, Moon and Lockyer make up the bottom 3 while Marshall, Anasta and Finch make up the top 3 (in no order)

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
What's with all these 'rate this position'' threads. We're 4 weeks into the season FFS. Are we going to start awarding a free ice-block and a merit award to the best performed player in every position on a monthly basis.

user_nat

Coach
Most 5/8s have been pretty poor this year IMO. Benji probably the best.

Soward has been pretty disappointing this year. Was the best last year IMO and flat out average this year.

adamkungl

Immortal
Anasta...taken a bit of a back seat, but playing well, doing his job. Excellent defensively and has jagged a few try assists as well.

Ladmate

Bench
Yep. I'm lucky that I don't have Soward in my Dream Team. 17 and 26 the last two weeks.
I agree that Soward has been average, but the Dragons are 4-1, so good for them. They are showing they don't need Soward to fire up.

adamkungl

Immortal
What's with all these 'rate this position'' threads. We're 4 weeks into the season FFS. Are we going to start awarding a free ice-block and a merit award to the best performed player in every position on a monthly basis.

We're a month in, why not have a look at how players are going?
In another few weeks Origin sides will be picked. If you don't like it don't post in the thread.

dollyhands

Juniors
In another few weeks Origin sides will be picked. If you don't like it don't post in the thread.
Coz the Eels don't start playin till round 20!!! Stupid Eels supporters don't like you talkin bout anything but the Eels:crazy:

adamkungl

Immortal
Coz the Eels don't start playin till round 20!!! Stupid Eels supporters don't like you talkin bout anything but the Eels:crazy:

good point...this thread is wasting perfectly good forum space that could be used to talk about Hayne.

Eels Dude

Coach

If I don't like it I'll express my opinion. That's what forums are for. Freedom of speech right?

Personally I think it's idiotic to judge a player's form and rank them after just 4 weeks. There's too many variables to consider. The amount of home games, quality of opposition, the performance of the rest of the side, off season surgery and recovery time, players adjusting to new positions, players adjusting to playing with new combinations etc.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
Travis Burns is not listed here. I think he was in reasonably good form before he suffered his injury. Also Finch has been a standout for me.

Loudstrat

Coach
good point...this thread is wasting perfectly good forum space that could be used to talk about Hayne.

Hayne. That try v the Dragons. Hayne the dominant Blues back. Hayne the nice guy that takes his mum to the Dally M's. Hayne. The Hayne Train. Hayne the Christian. Hayne and his generous service to society by hiding many dangerous bullets safely in a wall of a Kings Cross brothel.

He's the closest thing we have to a pivot at the moment!

Marshall - sure. Anasta would look useless without Carney carving up. Soward's doing pretty good IMHO. I likes what Bird did last night. Finch, well he did try hard with us, and he did win that Origin game, but I just submitted my membership form to OVP's exclusive club named in his honour.

Gotta give Heather a wrap last night - even though he looked like Mr Bubbles playing with those kiddies ;-)

Didgi

These threads are gauging public opinion as to which players have started the season strongly.

My top 3 would be Benji, Finch, Anasta. The rest have been solid, except for Bird who started the season too slowly, and Rovelli (Cowboys) who was solid first couple of rounds then lost it a bit. Thompson is a player of the future.

Lockyer was good last night I thought considering the circumstances. I want to rap Campese, from what I've seen he has been fairly good for the Raiders.

Who wants to bet how long until a halback thread?

kbw

Bench
To me this is probably the hardest position to rate, because of the different ways a 5/8 can play.
Look at Anasta been very solid, especially defensively, but not doing alot of ball playing. Mashall has been all over the place and basically the mastermind behind the Tigers.

I think Marshal is the best at the moment.
Lockyer is being hampered by his forwards.
Sutton is a dumb *** that is inconsistent.
Finch is a poor excuse for a person but doing a decent job
Anasta been a little quite in attack but a standout in defense.
Soward is hiding, just not getting his hands on the ball enough.

Look, if its one of those cheap ice blocks then no way, but if its a pine lime splice you might just get me interested.