What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Rate the Fullbacks

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
1 - Tedesco
2 - Trbojevic
3 - Tuivasa-Scheck
4 - Gutherson
5 - Papenhuyzen
6 - Nicoll-Klokstad
7 - Dufty
15 - Kennedy
16 - Drinkwater

Ponga - 5/8
Hopoate - Centre
Brimson - 5/8
Mitchell - Centre
Doueihi - 5/8
Boyd - Winger

Panfas

Juniors
1 - Tedesco
2 - Trbojevic
3 - Nicoll-Klokstad
4 - Papenhuyzen
5 - Edwards
6 - Ponga
7 - Gutherson
8 - Mitchell
9 - Tuivasa-Scheck
10 - Brimson
11 - Dufty
12 - Hopoate
13 - Boyd
14 - Drinkwater
15 - Doueihi
16 - Kennedy

Dingo_dan

Juniors
1 - Tedesco
2 - Trbojevic
3 - Nicoll-Klokstad
4 - Papenhuyzen
5 - Edwards
6 - Ponga
7 - Gutherson
8 - Mitchell
9 - Tuivasa-Scheck
10 - Brimson
11 - Dufty
12 - Hopoate
13 - Boyd
14 - Drinkwater
15 - Doueihi
16 - Kennedy

Swap RTS and Edwards and you've got it bang on

Someguy

First Grade
Swap RTS and Edwards and you've got it bang on

I 2nd that!

CNK gets nowhere near the respect he deserves. Doesn’t do the block play/sweep as well as some others but every other aspect of his game is top notch. Raiders lucky he gets limited media attention, keeps his price down

Frailty

First Grade
Kennedy is still young and has a lot to improve, but he has been solid for the Sharks IMO.

Would take him over Boyd, Doueihi, and Drinkwater (Drinkwater is a 5/8 imo).

nick87

Coach
I 2nd that!

CNK gets nowhere near the respect he deserves. Doesn’t do the block play/sweep as well as some others but every other aspect of his game is top notch. Raiders lucky he gets limited media attention, keeps his price down

Cnk’s ball playing is a major problem and has been hurting us a lot this year. But he’s elite in every other aspect of fullback play
Really hope he can develop the ball playing, it would unlock another level for him and our team

yobbo84

Coach
You kinda need to factor in the mistakes though
Latrell has the most linebreak assists in the NRL, equal third for try assists, and only 3-4 more errors total than Tedesco, Dufty, Gutherson, et al.

I'd rather a fullback that creates points consistently than one that runs 200m and does not much else.

Of course we can't all be Tedesco who does both equally amazingly! But Latrell deserves way more recognition for his transition than he has received

soc123_au

Staff member
Cnk’s ball playing is a major problem and has been hurting us a lot this year. But he’s elite in every other aspect of fullback play
Really hope he can develop the ball playing, it would unlock another level for him and our team
There is hope, Edwards was in the same boat, but has found a bit of a passing game this year. Still a bit of a way to go to be considered a playmaker, but the signs are promising.

People have been watching too many Nable promos to have Ponga so high. Can look great in attack when he feels like playing, which is once a month, but is at Darius Boyd level in defence. He’s the ultimate “I’ll just pretend to go for the intercept or act like I intend to make a tackle” when the last line of defence

Let alone his goal kicking. The last attempt of the game yesterday belongs in the hall of shame.

Latrell has the most linebreak assists in the NRL, equal third for try assists, and only 3-4 more errors total than Tedesco, Dufty, Gutherson, et al.

I'd rather a fullback that creates points consistently than one that runs 200m and does not much else.

Of course we can't all be Tedesco who does both equally amazingly! But Latrell deserves way more recognition for his transition than he has received

Yet his involvement is not as high as it should be. Runs by fullbacks are often on kick returns, and those set up the start of the set of six. Also guys like Tedesco and Turbo are always sniffing in around the ruck looming up in support for any potential breaks. Latrell does not do this. His involvement can be rather low for what is expected for a top flight fullback. His defensive positioning is still spotty, and his catching of the highball? YIKES.

Sorry but for mine Latrell is not great a fullback. He is better than decent granted. He could be great, but he still has a lot to add to his game.

Let alone his goal kicking. The last attempt of the game yesterday belongs in the hall of shame.

Yet his involvement is not as high as it should be. Runs by fullbacks are often on kick returns, and those set up the start of the set of six. Also guys like Tedesco and Turbo are always sniffing in around the ruck looming up in support for any potential breaks. Latrell does not do this. His involvement can be rather low for what is expected for a top flight fullback. His defensive positioning is still spotty, and his catching of the highball? YIKES.

Sorry but for mine Latrell is not great a fullback. He is better than decent granted. He could be great, but he still has a lot to add to his game.

Agree with a lot of this. He’s gone from centre at the roosters, where last season he saw little ball for a significant amount of game-time, to a position with heavy involvement all game.

I think it’ll be another season to see how good a fullback he can be. I think he’s possibly the best centre going around but it’s become an “unsexy” position for some reason which I don’t get..

Lomax wanted fullback too, but going back to centre he’s killing it. You’ve also got double the chance of making rep football at centre (if you’re adaptable to both sides), especially now as Tedesco would have to get injured for anyone else to get a start. Or Ponga for Qld.

I reckon Mitchell can succeed but he won’t be the Slater, Tedesco style fullback sniffing around the rucks all the time we’ve now become used to. More an explosive power fullback that’ll pop up here and there in attack.

Perth Red

Post Whore
not many queenslanders. How the worm turns.

Why is that surprising? NSW with 3 times more clubs and double the jnr pool should be dominating all positions, with depth a plenty.
Dont be fooled by the once in a lifetime decade we have just seen where Qland were able to call upon 4 of the greatest of all time players in their positions. The odds of that happening are a squillion to 1!

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Why is that surprising? NSW with 3 times more clubs and double the jnr pool should be dominating all positio, with depth a plentys.
Dont be fooled by the once in a lifetime decade we have just seen where Qland were able to call upon 4 of the greatest of all time players in their positions. The odds of that happening are a squillion to 1!

I wasnt saying it out of surprise I was saying it out of spite.