What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rava being rubbed out

Willow

Assistant Moderator
How is this a shoulder charge.
Straight answer: It's not a shoulder charge. Just a great tackle.

You can see it on the replay, happens in the 77th minute. Rava lines him up and hits hard and low, gaining possession. It was pretty much a match winner, I think Canberra only had one more set after that.

We should applaud these type of tackles.

hewi

Bench
Yes, if it’s not a great tackle and you can’t hit in the bread basket like that to try and shake the ball loose let’s just call it Oztag and move on. As previously stated the NRL has lost the plot. There is deliberate, there is careless and lastly there is accidental. That tackle was none of those just bloody good.

BLM01

First Grade
How is this a shoulder charge.

it’s not. Luke Patten is still dirty with the Dragons after Sowies dive in 2009 amongst other things
We have all seen the bias Lately
It’s our turn to start fighting back and proving they charge on media speculation or talk, emotion and consider important matches coming up for a player where they can without scrutiny. And origin nothing is worthy a charge there

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sincerely hope that their response is not choreographed by the NRL .

As to Patten I just don’t know what happened to him , but some of his decisions over the years have left me perplexed to say the least .

And to think that he was once a Dragon . 🤔
'The General' was really a Canterbury player who was previously shown the door by Saints. In the latter stages of playing for for us, I recall he had a tendency to fumble the ball in our in-goal. Rumour has it that he left on less than happy terms.

To be fair, we don't know if Luke Patten was the one who cited Ravalawa. There's four panel members on the MRC and Patten isn't even the chair.

Four mornings a week match review committee chair Michael Robertson, the former Canberra and Manly winger who scored a grand final hat-trick and has a busy day job as the chief executive of an apparel company, speaks to fellow panel members Michael Hodgson, Luke Patten and Anthony Quinn over Webex.
7 May 2021

Plus he has previously been blamed for video ref decisions against us, once when he wasn't even the video ref. I suspect the suggestions about Patten started when the channel9 website incorrectly named Patten as a video ref in a Saints v Canterbury game in 2016, [Source]

Now... I do recall having concerns when he became a video ref so soon after retiring. It was after I noticed he was video reffing a Canterbury game the very next season after playing for them. Not saying he is intentionally favouring a team, but I personally wouldn't video ref a Saints game because I know I'd probably have trouble keeping my subconscious bias in check. I was surprised that the NRL thought this was a good idea for a rookie video ref who obviously still had close ties with the club.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I've said it before but there is absolutely no reason why MRC reviews and even judiciary proceedings aren't made public online.

The rationale in criminal justice is often that publicity may impact the determination of guilt.

But in this sphere, when the alleged "crime" itself has already been broadcast live and typically dissected ad nauseum by pundits and the public alike, how much more prejudicial could publicity be?

At least then the howls of "bias and inconsistency" would either be pushed to the fringes or substantiated and laid bare. But for the moment, its difficult to defend a process that appears bafflingly arbitrary and also completely opaque.

TruSaint

Referee
'The General' was really a Canterbury player who was previously shown the door by Saints. In the latter stages of playing for for us, I recall he had a tendency to fumble the ball in our in-goal. Rumour has it that he left on less than happy terms.

To be fair, we don't know if Luke Patten was the one who cited Ravalawa. There's four panel members on the MRC and Patten isn't even the chair.

Four mornings a week match review committee chair Michael Robertson, the former Canberra and Manly winger who scored a grand final hat-trick and has a busy day job as the chief executive of an apparel company, speaks to fellow panel members Michael Hodgson, Luke Patten and Anthony Quinn over Webex.
7 May 2021

Plus he has previously been blamed for video ref decisions against us, once when he wasn't even the video ref. I suspect the suggestions about Patten started when the channel9 website incorrectly named Patten as a video ref in a Saints v Canterbury game in 2016, [Source]

Now... I do recall having concerns when he became a video ref so soon after retiring. It was after I noticed he was video reffing a Canterbury game the very next season after playing for them. Not saying he is intentionally favouring a team, but I personally wouldn't video ref a Saints game because I know I'd probably have trouble keeping my subconscious bias in check. I was surprised that the NRL thought this was a good idea for a rookie video ref who obviously still had close ties with the club.

Good post.

Patten is a Bulldog. Played over 220 games for them and some 40 for us.

Now I dont know whether he has intentionally targeted us or not. It does though raise the question of ex-players officiating.

Patten finished his career with the Dogs in 2010, and played 2 seasons in England.

One year later, 2013, he became the first ex player to officiate as video ref in the GF. My opinion is that way too soon to have a player, just finished off his playing career,... officiating.

He was officiating over games which involved players he had actually played with and against. Human nature would suggest there would be some "bias", intended or not.

Now Perenara, who played for 5 Clubs finished his career in 2007 and went straight into the ref academy. Four years later he refereed his first game, 2011. This path is more acceptable.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
And 'Roosters enforcer'.

Seems that the other charges over the weekend are considered 'controversial' while Rava has 'prior form'.

The media telling us what to think.

Thanks for providing the link to the story . It may sound odd however I have not been able to do so on my old iPad . Have tried on numerous occasions but unfortunately no link ever appears .

Illusion

Bench
NRL tinkering of the rules has ruined the fabric of the game. Way too many penalties and half the time the other player is falling or slipping over. To have players sent off now for non event tackles is a joke and pretty much gifts the opposing side 6-12 points! The Bunker also coming in after the event is just micro management and nit picking at the very least. I have not seen a decent game in weeks and these blow out scores are an embarrassment to the game.
Might as well soon as the opposition gets the ball everyone run back to their goal line and defend from there ..... Easier no 6 again for not getting back less chance of send off ..... the games become a joke and V'landys needs to get off his high horse .....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Great, now if we can only get the NRL to provide a shoulder charge descriptor. Or better still, get the MRC to read it.

Application: Shoulder Charge – is where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball- carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact with the shoulder or the upper arm.

Seems to me that even U/12s know the difference.

redv13

Bench
Great, now if we can only get the NRL to provide a shoulder charge descriptor. Or better still, get the MRC to read it.

Application: Shoulder Charge – is where a defender, without attempting to tackle, grab or hold the ball- carrier (or any opposing player) using the arms or hands, makes direct physical contact with the shoulder or the upper arm.

Seems to me that even U/12s know the difference.
There are serious issues with the MRC if Ravalawa is found guilty tonight

boardlumps62

Juniors
My initial thoughts on Reece Robson tackle when I watched the game was ouch he must have hit the Shark player in the head with his arm for sure. Why the hell did he do that he was already tackled. Then Reece Robson was binned Sharks got a penalty I hate the Sharks.
I just watched the shot again but Robson hit Tolman with the shoulder not the arm fair in the head. Too me that was worth a bin and penalty that is what the NRL is try to remove from the game. Some say what else could he do well he was already tackled should have pulled out but easy to say in heat of the battle. Now back to Rava in comparison has no case to answer wasn't a high shot no shot to the head only the Raiders pride was dented from a very good tackle.

Latest posts