What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Price, Eric Grothe and Terry Leabeater plan to remove Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzge

Delboy

First Grade
I will say again, this is really personal, since BS was coach the Board and the CEO have had little to do with the football operations, they ensure the funding is available and that is their role.

All football things from recruitment, retention, team selection and salaries were under the control of the Head Coach and Manager, Football Operations, similar to the structure at most other clubs. The fact that DF tends to be a bot of a headline lover is his main fault, but results should be laid at the feet of the coach, if there was a major issue it was the extrension of BS contract and the recruitment of Hagan, having said that DF is his own worst enemy.

I have no history with DF, we don't really get on as the STH meeting would confirm, but he is not always the devil he is being painted as by the Telecrap, we don't need this diversion with a new coach and a new season about to hit us. I would like to see support for the new coach to be a focus rather than all this agenda driven rubbish from the media mafia.

Gronk

Staff member
I will say again, this is really personal, since BS was coach the Board and the CEO have had little to do with the football operations, they ensure the funding is available and that is their role.

All football things from recruitment, retention, team selection and salaries were under the control of the Head Coach and Manager, Football Operations, similar to the structure at most other clubs. The fact that DF tends to be a bot of a headline lover is his main fault, but results should be laid at the feet of the coach, if there was a major issue it was the extrension of BS contract and the recruitment of Hagan, having said that DF is his own worst enemy.

I have no history with DF, we don't really get on as the STH meeting would confirm, but he is not always the devil he is being painted as by the Telecrap, we don't need this diversion with a new coach and a new season about to hit us. I would like to see support for the new coach to be a focus rather than all this agenda driven rubbish from the media mafia.

Whilst this may be a big event to the Telecrap, it is interesting that Fairfax do not see it as news worthy at all.

Bigfella

Coach
Dellboy,

I hear what you are saying. I have been a big critic of DF's, but TBH I won;t be concerned if the board remains unchanged and the status quo continues.

What gives me heart is that a large amount of members are making their dissatisfaction clear; their is being real scrutiny and potential accountability to a number of people who have seemingly been unaccountable previously; there is a bit of people power swelling and it is clear that people care.

I'd like to think that some of the way things have been done unchanged in the footy operations are given a simiar shake up - training methodsenior players etc. Not necessarily to see mass sackings, but a general shake up.

It does seem that our club (football and leagues) have suffered from a bit of complacency in the sense that they have all been in a bit of a comfort zone?

A shake up to keep everyone on their toes may be as healthy as significant changes of personnel.

Delboy

First Grade
Bigfella, that is exactly what is required, I tend to believe that the issue was mainly with the football staff, they just did not do their job. I know Hayden and Graig Catterick are good people with good reputations but I fail to see how they did their job over the past 2 seasons, and likewise in recruitment and retention.

The last BS year and the 2 Hagan years really put us on the back foot, those years have bitten us hard, to the extent that we have to endure the feeder club nonsense from the Beagles, let's get behind the new coach and hope that a size 12 up the rear end and a broom to the operations and roster at the end of 2009 is waiting for us.

Bigfella, that is exactly what is required, I tend to believe that the issue was mainly with the football staff, they just did not do their job. I know Hayden and Graig Catterick are good people with good reputations but I fail to see how they did their job over the past 2 seasons, and likewise in recruitment and retention.

The last BS year and the 2 Hagan years really put us on the back foot, those years have bitten us hard, to the extent that we have to endure the feeder club nonsense from the Beagles, let's get behind the new coach and hope that a size 12 up the rear end and a broom to the operations and roster at the end of 2009 is waiting for us.
I have to agree with you on all fronts there Delboy.

Gronk

Staff member
Greats finalise match plan

By Josh Massoud | December 03, 2008 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

0,,6380163,00.jpg
/ The Daily Telegraph

THE clock is creeping towards 7pm as sleek, black convertibles and 4WDs purr into an undercover car park. Each vehicle contains a lone male driver, all of whom wear business attire and determined faces.
They stride across to a small lift that travels upward four floors to a plain boardroom.
It overlooks the home straight of Rosehill racecourse, which is fitting given the whips have started to crack in the mad rush for control of the Parramatta Eels Football Club.
Less than a fortnight remains until election day and the rebels seeking to oust CEO Denis Fitzgerald are ready to make their final dash.
There are already more than a dozen dissidents in the sun-drenched boardroom when The Daily Telegraph arrives for an exclusive insight into their preparations.

Sitting in a row on the far side of the table are the three Eels legends who hope to revolutionise their club after 30 years under Fitzgerald's rule.
Previously pictured in Blundstones and work shirts, Ray Price and Eric Grothe have changed into buttoned-up and windsor-knotted clobber. Brett Kenny, who won four premierships alongside the pair, is dressed in similar fashion.
The adjacent four figures are the men selected to join them on the official seven-man rebel ticket. To Kenny's right is Bob Gare, a former police sergeant who recently retired after 27 years of service to the force. Next is John Chidiac and Robert Sassen, two prominent local property developers.
Last of all is Ken Lawless, who works in the financial sector. But there are many more names working for the rebel cause than the seven that will appear on the December 14 ballot paper.
Most were there on Monday night - 1986 Grand Final hero Terry Leabeater, long-time Eels sponsor and restaurateur Mario Libertini, Dr Graham Malouf, solicitor Daniel Essey, printer Joe Saad and businessman Colin Green.
Leabeater wanted to run on the ticket, but a dispute over his membership means the former prop is now settling for an advisory role.
"We only get one chance at this,'' Leabeater tells the meeting. "We've got to get on the front foot and tell people what we stand for. There's no more time to die wondering.''
The next two hours are a frenzy of ideas and debate as the all-important documents to be mailed to members this week are finalised. The platforms are transparency, unity and, after 22 long years, another premiership.
On transparency, Price says: "We are one of the biggest, most popular clubs in Australia and we have just over 600 members. That's pathetic. More should be done to attract members and give them more information about the club.
"As it stands, they pay their subscription, get an annual report every December and hear nothing else.''
At present, the football club only controls the Eels' Harold Matthews, SG Ball and junior teams. But should they win, the rebels will look closely at reclaiming the NRL side from the leagues club, which took it over after an extraordinary vote in 2001.
The one thing everyone understands is the enormity of their task. The incumbent board has not maintained power for so long without strength of numbers.
Of the 669 members who are entitled to vote, the rebels conservatively concede that 150 are already in Fitzgerald's keeping.
"That means the only people that matter are the other 500,'' Kenny says. "We have to convince as many as possible to get there and vote (because there are no proxies).''
The rebels decide to ask the football club for members to present personal ID with their badges on the day to ensure there are no identity disputes. They also want a guarantee that current NRL players who can vote will be free to attend.
There's no shortage of conspiracy theories about the veracity of previous elections, particularly the 1992 vote when 20 ballots were mysteriously lost. Fitzgerald last night declined an opportunity to argue the imcumbents' case for re-election.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24742626-5016547,00.html

Gronk

Staff member
Impressive show of strength. So how many of these suits can actually stand as a candidate ?

Stagger eel

Staff member
what I want to know is how do they know to write of 150 votes?? maybe our resident election whore, fisheel can explain that theory..

bartman

Immortal
Impressive show of strength. So how many of these suits can actually stand as a candidate ?
The article implies the seven man ticket will be:
Grothe
Price
Kenny
Bob Gare (former Police sergeant)
John Chidiac (property developer)
Robert Sassen (property developer)
Ken Lawless (financial sector)

Without looking up my annual report, I'd say they are all valid, given Leabeater is sitting out.

eeladdick

Juniors
what I want to know is how do they know to write of 150 votes?? maybe our resident election whore, fisheel can explain that theory..
its proberly a statistic they have worked out on people that will or can not attend the club to vote as proxys are mot allowed

bartman

Immortal

You're making a lot of sense there Delboy.

The repeated Josh Massoud insistence that the ticket has been created to "oust Denis Fitzgerald" (despite him not being someone up for election that can be ousted), has me wondering what the real basis for the nominations has been.

But Price is right when he says... "More should be done to attract members and give them more information about the club.
"As it stands, they pay their subscription, get an annual report every December and hear nothing else.''

And Leabeater is right in the article when he says... "We've got to get on the front foot and tell people what we stand for. There's no more time to die wondering.''

They would do goo not to pander to the simplistic remove-Denis-and-everything-will-automatically-be-better line of thinking, in my opinion. I look forward to reading the "all-important documents to be mailed to members this week"...

bartman

Immortal
Maybe they're going off the past contested election voting results, when Chidiac last ran?

Stagger eel

Staff member
The article implies the seven man ticket will be:
Grothe
Price
Kenny
Bob Gare (former Police sergeant)
John Chidiac (property developer)
Robert Sassen (property developer)
Ken Lawless (financial sector)

Without looking up my annual report, I'd say they are all valid, given Leabeater is sitting out.

I believe there are a couple more that have thenselve ineligible to be nominated for the same reason, can't remember who?

walker smith

Juniors
The 150 votes is a guesstimate based on people that have previously shown they are in Fitzgerald's corner....but no-one is writing them off. The tele just blew that out of proportion as a write off.

The ticket is hoping they will get a fair hearing.

the ticket has made it clear that this isnt about Fitzy necessarily, it is about CHANGE.

The telegraph has siezed teh Fitzy agenda for their own and the ticket is happy for the exposure to enable them to shine a light on certain concerns....

bartman

Immortal
The article implies the ticket is being "advised" by "Leabeater, long-time Eels sponsor and restaurateur Mario Libertini, Dr Graham Malouf, solicitor Daniel Essey, printer Joe Saad and businessman Colin Green".

Perhaps some of those guys originally intended to stand but later found out they weren't eligible.

Stagger eel

Staff member
also, I heard an interesting tidbit I heard yesterday The P3 ticket are specifically targeting the Grey vote knowing that's where their real challenge.