What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Price should be on this list

bartman

Immortal
I'd have him as one of the five nominees instead of Ella. I don't think anyone would argue which of that five (including Price) ended up the eventual winner.

But why stage such an award at all? It just creates devisiveness. Of course it turns a pretty penny for the club at $250 a ticket or whatever the cashed up elite demographic of our supporters are willing to pay...

And grwat player that he was - probably my pick of those five - Price should really know better than to comment publically, and make these things the club would otherwise make news for end up being all about him.

*Oh, and courtesy of the other forum (and the post above), it turns out there isn't a short list of five anyway, so it's all a non-issue.... sigh.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
U can't be serious with ur above comment, people have very short memories, this guy would have died for his colours.....u my friend are a colossal tool.

Sorry if that offended you, but I stand on what I said. The game does not owe him anything.

Surely you can see that his poor comments bring our club down ? He and another former eels player of his era are the go-to controversial eels whenever we are in "crisis". Pricey is like the uncle who gets drunk at weddings and makes a fool of himself. As good a player as he might be, he does himself no favours when it comes to be recognized as one of the true greats of his era.

There was much controversy when the immortals were chosen. This is because their criteria was decided upon on field achievements only.

"that when all 13 judges meet to determine the next Immortal in July, the group - which includes Wayne Bennett, Phil Rothfield and Ray Hadley - will be reminded to ignore everything that has taken place outside the white line, with only achievements on the field carrying weight. Such a revelation will completely change the way some fans view the award.
For several years it was whispered that Meninga, among the front-runners for inclusion, saw his odds shorten every time the Maroons team he coached again blitzed the Blues. It was also thought Kangaroo legend Ron Coote had greater claims because of his work establishing charity organisation The Men Of League Foundation.
Conversely, back in 2007 it was feared Newcastle icon Andrew Johns may never be bestowed Immortality after he admitted to playing "Russian roulette" with drugs throughout his playing career. The Newcastle legend made the stunning confession after being caught in possession of an ecstasy tablet overseas, thought to be another black mark against his name. We now know that is not the case.

Ray Price was indeed a warhorse and I saw him play at Cumberland just as you may well have. He played himself to a standstill and gave 100% every game, but so did a shit load of others. For mine, Sterlo deserves it more and in a few years Hindy - who carried the club on his back and did not have the star-studded line-up to play with that Price did.

That's my opinion and I'd like to hear yours, so far all you have contributed is a sledge.

Gronk

Staff member
Why should he pretend otherwise? Sterlo voted for him too. It's pretty obvious he's the greatest Eel of all time, and I agree Price is a dickhead. All the great ones are.

Stupid comment. To suggest that all great sportsmen are dickheads shows that you you have NFI and indeed are one too.

TheRam

Coach
I saw both Price and Hindmarsh play and can tell you that Hindy had just a significant role to play in every game as Pricey did. In fact Hindy carried the team at times, whereas Pricey never had to play with nuffies.

The difference in my opinion is Price was a real leader of men. I don't think those lesser teams that Hindmarsh played in would of got away with their lack of effort under Price. Hindmarsh great player, leader never.

Price, leader and the greatest player to ever lace on a Parra boot. He drove what otherwise was a fairly average forward pack at times, like no one else, to some of the greatest victories we as supporters will ever see. Without him none of the magic that we all took for granted back then by the likes of Sterlo, Kenny and co, would have ever happened.

To be honest he should of been there ahead of Zip, as much as I love Ella... Infact I'm not quite sure what the criteria is but Hindy should of been there ahead of zip

Agreed 100%.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Sorry if that offended you, but I stand on what I said. The game does not owe him anything.

Surely you can see that his poor comments bring our club down ? He and another former eels player of his era are the go-to controversial eels whenever we are in "crisis". Pricey is like the uncle who gets drunk at weddings and makes a fool of himself. As good a player as he might be, he does himself no favours when it comes to be recognized as one of the true greats of his era.

There was much controversy when the immortals were chosen. This is because their criteria was decided upon on field achievements

Ray Price was indeed a warhorse and I saw him play at Cumberland just as you may well have. He played himself to a standstill and gave 100% every game, but so did a shit load of others. For mine, Sterlo deserves it more and in a few years Hindy - who carried the club on his back and did not have the star-studded line-up to play with that Price did.

That's my opinion and I'd like to hear yours, so far all you have contributed is a sledge.

I agree with this. Unbelievable player and my pick as the greatest ever eel on the field. However, in recent times he has shown himself to be a complete penis off the field. I'm not sure he is right in the head.

BennyBoy

Juniors
The difference in my opinion is Price was a real leader of men. I don't think those lesser teams that Hindmarsh played in would of got away with their lack of effort under Price. Hindmarsh great player, leader never.

Price, leader and the greatest player to ever lace on a Parra boot. He drove what otherwise was a fairly average forward pack at times, like no one else, to some of the greatest victories we as supporters will ever see. Without him none of the magic that we all took for granted back then by the likes of Sterlo, Kenny and co, would have ever happened.

Well put Ram and I agree 100%

Latest posts