What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray to call games for 9, Matt Johns to Fox and a brave Ref

sputneek

Juniors
i'm sure the players would have known, if some pleb on the internet had already heard the whispers.

Meh what I meant is that if a player steamrolls him like Carney did on Archer in Rd4 last year or if he gets kneed in the head like De La Heras then people will accuse the players of being discriminatory.

Patorick

Staff member
Meh what I meant is that if a player steamrolls him like Carney did on Archer in Rd4 last year or if he gets kneed in the head like De La Heras then people will accuse the players of being discriminatory.
:crazy:

eozsmiles

Bench

Most people will see an accident for what it is but some people will always see a conspiracy or intent. We can't stop that small group reading too much into something.

undertaker

Coach
I reckon he would drop his job on 2gb if they offered him the head caller role.

Rubbish. He will NEVER drop his talkback radio show. That is his identity. Even though he signed a new 10 yr deal with 2GB, like Jay Leno, I can see him continuing on until he dies. He would NEVER give another person a chance to fill-in for him, out of fear that his job would be under threat. Even the day he got rushed to hospital and came back home at 12:30am, he still woke up at 3:45am that day to go to work:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ks-for-a-day-off/story-e6frfmqi-1225856153321

Before he got the spot on 2GB, he was known as nothing more than a rugby league caller. Rugby league was all he knew. The studio in Pyrmont needs is struggling to accommodate the size of his growing ego and thus he needs an outlet where he can hear the sound of his own voice for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Last edited:

Dazraider

Juniors
Finally we get another good commentator, hadley is a great caller and will be good to watch the games listening to him call the game, just hope he replaces voss

Stewie

Juniors
It's pretty easy to take cheap shots as an anonymous keyboard hero, Cecchin's showing a lot more courage than most on here.

I wonder if all the comedians on here would front Ian Roberts with their dribble.[/QUOTE)

Roberts wouldn't have been so tough if Gary Jack wasn't being restrained. thought this was a football forum,not a gay rights convention

Patorick

Staff member
It's pretty easy to take cheap shots as an anonymous keyboard hero, Cecchin's showing a lot more courage than most on here.

I wonder if all the comedians on here would front Ian Roberts with their dribble.[/QUOTE)

Roberts wouldn't have been so tough if Gary Jack wasn't being restrained. thought this was a football forum,not a gay rights convention
Yeah, Jack would have smashed him one on one.

Stewie

Juniors
Yeah, Jack would have smashed him one on one.

I didn't say that Jack would have won. Jack wasn't even given the chance to defend himself though. Wouldn't have been hammered the way he was had he not been held.

Don't see why checcin had to come out anyway. The refs think they are bigger than the game. Rugby League once again in the paper for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

eozsmiles

Bench
I didn't say that Jack would have won. Jack wasn't even given the chance to defend himself though. Wouldn't have been hammered the way he was had he not been held.

Don't see why checcin had to come out anyway. The refs think they are bigger than the game. Rugby League once again in the paper for all the wrong reasons.

A story gets written about a bloke in a newspaper only for the reason that the plebs who read it have heard his name before. Your response is that he shouldn't have come out, he thinks he's bigger than the game, and rugby league is in the papers for the wrong reasons as though this is akin to a Nate Myles or Todd Carney story..........

That's just weird.

Stewie

Juniors
A story gets written about a bloke in a newspaper only for the reason that the plebs who read it have heard his name before. Your response is that he shouldn't have come out, he thinks he's bigger than the game, and rugby league is in the papers for the wrong reasons as though this is akin to a Nate Myles or Todd Carney story..........

That's just weird.

Why is my comment strange? The NRL season is about to start. If they are not talking about the game of Rugby league or the positive things that the game or players have done in communities during the off season (which there are plenty of),then in my opinion our game is in the paper for the wrong reasons, whether that be as you said the Nate Myles and Todd Carney incidents or even the sexual preferences of referees. If he is Gay, then good for him.He should tell his family and friends, not the whole world.

Saints fan

Juniors
Why is my comment strange? The NRL season is about to start. If they are not talking about the game of Rugby league or the positive things that the game or players have done in communities during the off season (which there are plenty of),then in my opinion our game is in the paper for the wrong reasons, whether that be as you said the Nate Myles and Todd Carney incidents or even the sexual preferences of referees. If he is Gay, then good for him.He should tell his family and friends, not the whole world.

Agree 100%.

My take on the 3 stories:
  • Don't mind Ray Hadley much, does seem a little opinionated at times but can hopefully call the game professionally and without grinding his axe. Better than Ray Warren.
  • Fox Sports' line up for 2012 seems really good. Shame about Phelan getting the punt from MNF, but I can live with Matthew Johns and Warren Smith. It looks like Johns has been given another outlet for his "comedy" which should mean there are no stupid skits and just pure footy.
  • Checcin's "coming out" is purile. The only people that probably need to be notified are his friends and family, as the poster said above. We don't see the other 99% of refs saying they are hetrosexual and it being on the front page of the paper.

POPEYE

Coach
Agree 100%.

My take on the 3 stories:
  • Don't mind Ray Hadley much, does seem a little opinionated at times but can hopefully call the game professionally and without grinding his axe. Better than Ray Warren.
  • Fox Sports' line up for 2012 seems really good. Shame about Phelan getting the punt from MNF, but I can live with Matthew Johns and Warren Smith. It looks like Johns has been given another outlet for his "comedy" which should mean there are no stupid skits and just pure footy.
  • Checcin's "coming out" is purile. The only people that probably need to be notified are his friends and family, as the poster said above. We don't see the other 99% of refs saying they are hetrosexual and it being on the front page of the paper.

Your take is my take

Version 6

Staff member
Agree 100%.

Checcin's "coming out" is purile. The only people that probably need to be notified are his friends and family, as the poster said above. We don't see the other 99% of refs saying they are hetrosexual and it being on the front page of the paper.

Puerile? I don't see how.

There are going to be all sorts of opinions on this, but I think the move is admirable. He is the only "out" homosexual on field participant in rugby league at the moment.

He appears to have decided that he wants to be an example for other young gay people, to prove that their sexuality isn't a barrier or restriction to involvement in rugby league.

I think the people who think his announcement is all about him have probably misunderstood its purpose.

I say good on him.

I actually liked Ray's actual calling of games. I say liked because I haven't listened for years thanks to that abortion of a radio show that poses as a Rugby League show on the weekends. If I ever hear that f**king Fui Fui song again...