What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray to call games for 9, Matt Johns to Fox and a brave Ref

Raider_69

Post Whore
ive been calling cecchin and every other prick in pink a nice person for years, who knew i was right!?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I rate Vossy as a commentator as well, annoying on the footy show etc (although boots'n'all was great as hima nd gould seem to leave the agendas at the door, sit back on that couch and just have some fun) and have always had 2 elements that make a good one.

First pretty much only includes warren smith and vossy in the fact tht after a few years of listening to them i still can't pick which team they actually support.

Second has been a real pet peeve for me for awhile now. For a bloke like me who is a site engineer and often does 60 hour 6 day weeks and have done for the last 12+ months in pretty undesirable locations around the state, i can still rattle off each clubs top 25 and pick 98% when a picture of them is shown infront of me. Now if i can do that it is just plain mind boggling that somone whose job description that gives them probably a fair bit more coin then i get includes knowing the players and not repeatidly f%cking them up can't do it. Mainly fox sports that are the culprits (Laurie Daley being the coach, captain and goalkicker) but when you are exposed to it non-stop during the season, part of a tipping comp, part of a fantasy comp, most likely get a free copy of rugby league week or big league (cant remembe which one gets advertised by fox and nine), see the lineups in the pre-show etc etc etc and still cant get it right. Not talking bout the occasional one where the correct themselves or somone else does it quickly after but laurie or rabs will do it 4 or 5 times a game and do it nearly weekly (in rabs case he is probably just getting senile and from what ive read on here he doesn't bother watching the other games he doesn't call). I reckon according to Laurie Scott Tronc retired at the broncos last season and Brenton Bowen is still mattys brother.

Vossy is pretty good with this, that and he has a voice you don't cringe listening too. From what ive heard and read Ray tends to forget the focus and the entertainment is actually the game itself instead of him just yelling to draw it back to himself

Tommax25

Bench

:lol: International news. Someone coming out of the closet, which isn't that big a deal anyway, from a sport no-one outside of Australia has heard of, would be international news? :lol: So Matt Cechin is curently front page news in NY too then, I imagine. That guy is laughable! However, I found the 2nd article a lot more disturbing, sacking someone over it and equating homosexuality with being a pedophile is extremely ignorant and I hope his case went well and he got a massive payout.

El Diablo

Post Whore
:lol: International news. Someone coming out of the closet, which isn't that big a deal anyway, from a sport no-one outside of Australia has heard of, would be international news? :lol: So Matt Cechin is curently front page news in NY too then, I imagine. That guy is laughable! However, I found the 2nd article a lot more disturbing, sacking someone over it and equating homosexuality with being a pedophile is extremely ignorant and I hope his case went well and he got a massive payout.

he lost

the AFL are allowed to get away with anything http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/2996/Bisexual-Loses-Against-AFL.htm

they are an absolute disgrace and the game should be banned

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Would I be right in saying that Sterlo and Gus don't get along with Hadley? Theres so many petty feuds in the game I can't keep up.

undertaker

Coach
Would I be right in saying that Sterlo and Gus don't get along with Hadley? Theres so many petty feuds in the game I can't keep up.

As far as I'm concerned, it was Sterlo who had the feud with Hadley. This is the main reason why Hadley got given the arse from The Footy Show the 2nd time in 1998 and never returned (since Fatty and Sterlo were the co-hosts, Hadley was never going to get look in. Ties between Hadley and Fatty were cut because of John Gibbs, who being Fatty's manager and also worked on the CCT with Hadley, reneged on an agreement he made with Hadley when he jumped ship to 2GB after 2UE lost the radio rights. Gibbs would be Hadley's most despised person, even moreso than Fatty).

Hadley and Gould DID have a feud as is shown by Phil Gould in this column:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/write-and-wrong/2005/10/08/1128563035072.html

However, they've made up since then as Gould has appeared a few times as a guest on the Continuous Call Team and 2GB. Also, they were both pannelists together on the 'Mad Monday' show IIRC. I don't think they'd appear together if the feud was still ongoing. Rabs also had a feud with Hadley in the past

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/its-us-against-the-world/story-e6frg8h6-1226050561514

but they've also made up as they both play golf with each other

Last edited:

eozsmiles

Bench

Ray's likes - Bozo, Gallop, Rothfield, Singo, The Piper, Rabs, Castle Hill

Dislikes - Gould, Sterling, Vautin, competition, Voss, The Footy Show

kurt faulk

Coach

here's gonna be the problem for raaaaaaaaayyyyyyy calling the game on tv - he can't create controversy that isn't there.

the last time i heard him call a game was in 99 but he often used to create controversy when it wasn't there. when you would watch the game on tv you would wonder what on earth he was talking about. it was good for his audience because they would buy it hook, line and sinker and rush to call in to talk about it.

now when the viewing public can actually see what he is yapping on about the same time the words come out of his mouth he won't be able to make up shit, which took up about half his call. what's he gonna do?

Armageddon.

Juniors
Am I the only one that thinks Matt Cecchin is just coming out of the closet for the attention.
He's a ref for gods sake, who gives a shit whether he is Gay, Straight, Bisexual, Asexual whatever. Doesn't effect anybody else

Latest posts