What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray to call games for 9, Matt Johns to Fox and a brave Ref

aqua_duck

Coach
Hadley is a know it all ex cabby who thinks he's some ex legend, I put him in the same category as Slothfield and DUI Bec. The thing I like about Voss and Rabs is they just call the game, rarely get too analytical beyond what is obvious, they leave the analytical stuff up to Gus, Sterlo, Joey, etc; guys who've played at the highest level and have a deeper understanding of the game

Nevcost

Juniors
I feel sorry for whoever is in the commentry box with Hadley, they won't ever get a word in.

eozsmiles

Bench
Classic example of why RL is a funny old beast. Johns is a terrible presenter and an average TV personality. And people seem genuinely happy that he is hosting not one but two programmes.
We can't expect the presentation of our sport in the media to improve whilst we continue to let retired boofheads be the face and voice of it.

Voss will be hating it at the moment but it would seem pretty clear that Hadley won't be their number one caller at any point which leaves Voss in the frame.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Late night?

Its only Broncos Fri niters Hadleys doing...no biggie

not according to the article & quotes from Hadley :

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...dley-to-nrl-team/story-e6freye0-1226268621379

AUSTRALIA'S most influential broadcaster Ray Hadley has joined Channel Nine and his great friend Ray Warren as an NRL commentator and occasional panellist on the revamped Footy Show.
The 2GB host signed a contract with Nine late last week and will call the second Friday night match, planting him alongside bitter old enemies Paul Vautin - and possibly Peter Sterling - in the commentary box.
In a host of changes at Nine:
* Andrew Voss has been demoted to No 3 caller and will only get a start on Sundays when Warren is unavailable for long interstate hauls or for flights to New Zealand.
* Cricket commentator Michael Slater has also been approached to be co-host on The Footy Show in the spot recently rejected by Matty Johns.

Start of sidebar.

But the big news was Hadley signing a 12-month deal, which was finalised on Friday after weeks of secret negotiations with network supremo David Gyngell and sports boss Steve Crawley.

"For a long time in this city sport has been compromised by the fact certain broadcasters have refused to not only work but talk with certain others," Crawley said yesterday. "Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end to that rubbish. At Nine, we don't care who goes to whose dinner parties - we just want the best people in our commentary boxes.
"Ray Hadley is a wonderful sports commentator, in our opinion behind only Ray Warren when it comes to the big-time sports like rugby league."
Workaholic Hadley told me yesterday that he was looking forward to calling his games live into Brisbane, which are then shown on delay in Sydney.
"I got a feel for it last year when I did some of the rugby World Cup on Channel Nine and really enjoyed it," he said. "My only problem is Rabs. We played golf on Friday and he kept calling me his understudy."
Of his demanding workload, Hadley said: "I'll leave 2GB at lunchtime on Friday and fly to wherever I need to be. I'll be on a 6am flight the next morning to do the Continuous Call show with the boys on GB and then take Sundays off."
And as for working alongside Vautin: "It's not an issue. I've had a number of conversations with Paul in recent years. I'll be with Wally Lewis, too. We'll all just do a professional job."

supera

Juniors
f*ck

i was really hoping this would be a beat up and only apply during the Olympics.

why do 9 need their commentators to be a hundred years old? i might be in the minority, but i like Vossy, i think he adds a fresh and more youthful element to the coverage.

hadley is a d!ck.

Big Sam

First Grade
Could this perhaps indicate something into the future TV deal? Are 9 preparing to cover more games live from 2013 (i.e. an additional Saturday night game) and need an extra commentator?

Or am I reading too much into it?

Hadley, mute button. Anyone who heard his call of the union will agree.

Warren has been losing it for some time, can't agree he is still regarded as the best caller. You would think actually calling the game and getting the players right would be required.

Voss is much better than both of them, even if he has gone off the rails a bit recently. Epic fail Channel 9.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hadley, mute button. Anyone who heard his call of the union will agree.

Warren has been losing it for some time, can't agree he is still regarded as the best caller. You would think actually calling the game and getting the players right would be required.

Voss is much better than both of them. Epic fail Channel 9.

no wonder KAK called 9 a sinking ship

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Fox Sports has made the biggest off-season signing in the world of rugby league with Matthew Johns joining the team to be the face of the company's unrivalled NRL coverage in 2012.

Fox Sports chief executive Patrick Delany was thrilled to finally land his man and Johns was equally excited to be making the move.
"We've been pursuing Matt for a while," Mr Delany said.
"Being someone who has been an NRL fan all of my life, Matt brings quite a unique mixture of being able to give simple analysis and insight to the fans and also a bit of charming humour.
"You don't see that a lot."
Johns will head up Fox Sports' NRL coverage, similar to Eddie McGuire's Melbourne role with FOX FOOTY.
He has also been given the green light to develop programs for Foxtel's FOX8 and The Comedy Channel, allowing him to keep his comedy characters separate from the football.
While initially disappointed at the breakdown at Channel Nine, Johns said Fox Sports' enthusiasm about revamping its NRL coverage is ideal.
"They just expressed a desire to up their stakes, saying they're looking for a bit of a change," Johns said.

Fox Sports was keen to give its NRL coverage a boost by signing a major television talent of the calibre of Johns to head up its five live games each week.
Johns will chair the Monday Night Football show from the studio and will drive Wednesday night's NRL On Fox, co-hosting with Warren Smith. Both will be pure rugby league shows.
"They're looking for a rugby league show that's heavy on opinion, the type of opinion that will make people tune in to watch," he said.
"Rugby league people will love it, but even non-rugby league people or fringe rugby league people will watch because it will be entertaining."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...-for-2012-season/story-fn2mcuj6-1226268766879

They have good shows, but the crew they have is terrible. I think this makes the whole thing a lot worse too. A comedy show as well... Oh dear.

Ausguy

Coach
I think its good.

I dont mind Matt when he is being serious, seems the introduction of a seperate fox 8 show later on might be the vehicle to seperate the bs from the footy.

undertaker

Coach
So why has Voss suddenly fallen out of favour at 9?

Maybe the fact that Crawley and Gyngell are good mates of Hadley. I noticed it all started with that comment Voss made when Rabs had his statue built in Junee. Hadley (who was behind the invention of this) retaliated with this diatribe. Notice at the end of the article, it says that Gyngell wasn't pleased with Voss:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...-statue-comments/story-e6frfmqr-1226110393415

I wonder how Voss must be feeling when he reads this again, given what's just transpired over the last 24 hours?

Last edited:

Latest posts