What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray to call games for 9, Matt Johns to Fox and a brave Ref

undertaker

Coach
Hadley was right when he said Voss will always be a no.2 caller. (well no. 3 now) His knowledge of players and the game is excellent but he just doesn't have the voice for it. Feels a little forced at times. I thought Graeme Hughes was a decent commentator back in the day for 10, seems strange that he never get a look in at FOX considering some of the low standard commentators they have (can't stand Mark Braybrook)

I know this has been mentioned before, but the one thing I don't like about Voss's commentary is sprouting useless facts during the broadcast (e.g. "...and the former garbageman from Dapto has scored his 2nd try this afternoon"). During the Storm's 2007 season, I just hated how he kept crapping on about how Matt King used to work as a barman when he started out at Cronulla etc.:crazy:Talk about flogging a dead horse, not to mention one that has nothing to do with the broadcast.

But as I said in a previous post, think of what's just happened with Voss recently...it's like you used to work alongside another employee who, for someone unknown reason, you ended up on bad terms with. As a result of the acrimony, you go to another company to do the same job you were doing before and after a while, you're on the verge of getting the promotion you hoped to get in the company (that you couldn't attain at your previous company) before the employee you had problems with makes an application for your promoted position at your company at the 11th hour, and gets the position ahead of you. I know this situation happen to a few friends of mine.

Brutus

Referee
This is a huge slap in the face to QLD Rugby League Lovers. QLDers hate the bloke! So they dump the guy who modeled himself on Hadley - Andrew Voss - and now we have to put up with the bile and hatred filled Hadley call. I reckon he took the job just to give the finger to Andrew Voss. This is really bad news for Rugby League and not the direction they wanted to go in. Channel nine is insane if they think he is the best fit for calling league on TV... in QLD!

Those in QLD who actually know who Ray Hadley is can't stand him.

His Continuous Call dribble has never rated north of the border. ABC Grandstand is the rugby league radio king in Bris.

axl rose

Bench
Graeme Hughes was a fantastic caller when he did Warriors matches for SkyNZ. Maybe the reason he hasn't been considered by Fox is due to the feud he's had with Gallop.

I assumed it had something to do with a grudge against him, he has burnt more then a few bridges over the years. Then again so has Hadley. Stuff them all then, bring back Warren Boland & the green jacket!

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Plenty of people like Vossy.

I think it's a disgrace he's been demoted. He is a great caller for TV and no doubt could do a fine job on radio.

I really hope 2UE goes in hard to call the footy again and uses Vossy as their main guy.

The major problem your point is that 2UE have to get the rights IN THE FIRST PLACE. In order to do so, 2GB's "exclusivity" has to be done away with when the radio rights contract expires at the end of this year. I'm not expecting miracles from the ARLC overnight, but this (alongside the tv rights) surely has to be one of the first things that needs to be dealt with.

Problem is, with Hadley getting a position on Ch9 (albeit only for this year), it's going to make it even harder for them to do this. I've always said (in many threads) that the way the radio rights have been negotiated (going all the way back to 2006 when the Hughes-Gallop feud erupted) has been an absolute disgrace and although I hate AFL, u have to admit that we could only dream to have a scenario with the broadcasting rights such as the one the AFL has. The NRL have been weak as piss for years and have clearly given the rights to 2GB on a silver platter without any question largely attributed to not wanting to upset Hadley, but NO INDIVIDUAL (especially someone who was just an ex-cabbie) IS BIGGER THAN THE GAME. I have faith that the ARLC will have the balls to make the big decision on this.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
The major problem your point is that 2UE have to get the rights IN THE FIRST PLACE. In order to do so, 2GB's "exclusivity" has to be done away with when the radio rights contract expires at the end of this year. I'm not expecting miracles from the ARLC overnight, but this (alongside the tv rights) surely has to be one of the first things that needs to be dealt with.

I am confident exclusive radio rights will be done away with next time around.

I would not be surprised to see the Voss calling games for 2UE (his old stomping ground)

undertaker

Coach
I am confident exclusive radio rights will be done away with next time around.

I would not be surprised to see the Voss calling games for 2UE (his old stomping ground)

I assumed it had something to do with a grudge against him, he has burnt more then a few bridges over the years. Then again so has Hadley. Stuff them all then, bring back Warren Boland!

The big differences between Hadley and Hughes is that although Hadley is heavily disliked by the majority of RL supporters, he has a far more prominent position in the RL media (having the 2nd highest ratings on Sydney commercial radio to Alan Jones have largely expanded his profile) and more importantly, has always had good relations with Gallop et al. due to pandering and "playing the game" with the NRL - that is, not asking the tough questions that need to be asked and is good at "towing the company line" (e.g perfect example was he was always an outspoken critic of the CC Bears franchise UNTIL Singleton started to back the idea. Hadley changed his tune and started promoting the franchise over Melbourne Storm and the WA Reds).

It's no coincidence that the station that has the exclusive radio rights has a program that goes for 5 hours on Saturday and 2-3 hours on Sunday, where 99% of the time they talk about things that have absolutely no relevance to rugby league. What is supposed to be the flagship RL radio program (Continuous Call Team) is instead used as a vehicle to talk about marriage counselling, bra sizes, men dressing as women, how many Four n Twenty pies Darryl Brohman ate on Friday night, how fat Darryl is, the hosts (Brohman et al.) all trying to be amateur comedians...and this was coming from a person (Hadley) who condemned the Footy Show at any opportunity for those exact same reasons. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if 2GB have been given instruction from the NRL to deflect any serious RL discussion to detract from the plethora of issues that exist within the organisation and RL at large. I called the CCT 4 yrs ago (wrote about this on another thread) to discuss RL, and got bombarded by Hadley. I noticed they were reticent to answer any questions related to RL, but ones that were to do with movies and all the rubbish I spoke about earlier, they spoke on end for about 5-10 mins/call)

The bottom line: when you are earning $2 million/year, have very high ratings on radio and have good relations with all the key players at the top of the pyramid (not just the NRL, but tv executives like Gyngell) and you compare him with someone like Hughes who works for a station who has extremely low ratings in Sydney (so much so, they asked to be excluded from the ratings list), gets paid only a small fraction from 2SM of what Hadley earns at 2GB (2SM had major problems paying staff, which is why a lot of personnel like Jimmy Smith left) and does NOT have good relations with the top honchos...it's a no brainer...someone like Hadley will always be given precedence over the 2nd option. Hughes would be lucky to be earn 3-5% of what Hadley earns.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if 2GB have been given instruction from the NRL to deflect any serious RL discussion to detract from the plethora of issues that exist within the organisation and RL at large.

I have long suspected this.

You make some good points about this issue undertaker.

undertaker

Coach
Voss should go to Fox and get Braybrook's job.

Tomorrow.

I admit that Braybrook is the worst of all the 6 main RL callers (Warren, Voss, McIvor, Smith, Braybrook and Raymond) going around on TV, but wait till u hear his tennis commentary..:lol:I had the ignominy of flicking through the channels whilst at my parents' house and when the Australian Open was on, couldn't believe when he was commentating at the event. It was akin to Mark Nicholas broadcasting the golf when Tiger Woods played at Melbourne in 2009.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Gives me an excuse to watch it at the pub, atleast my dinners will be better on friday nights

Doug2234

First Grade
I'm more glad that Tallis is off Fox Sports. No one pisses me off more and offers very little then Tallis.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I admit that Braybrook is the worst of all the 6 main RL callers (Warren, Voss, McIvor, Smith, Braybrook and Raymond) going around on TV, but wait till u hear his tennis commentary..:lol:I had the ignominy of flicking through the channels whilst at my parents' house and when the Australian Open was on, couldn't believe when he was commentating at the event. It was akin to Mark Nicholas broadcasting the golf when Tiger Woods played at Melbourne in 2009.

The tragic thing is that Braybrook used to be excellent on the radio. I don't know what happened but if you listened to a call from him 10-15 years ago it would be like a different person.

Having both the Ray muppets calling games on Nine will be a tragedy this year. I could care less about people having "the voice", I'd rather a guy like Voss who is undoubtedly prepared and knowledgeable.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just on Ray calling games for Channel 9.

Now I still think Voss is a pretty good commentator and a good presenter. He does go a bit silly on the Footy Show and sometimes the Roast, but I do feel a bit for him, knowing after Ray Warren he was gonna step in his shoes as the number 1 caller, (for Channel 9 that is), I cant blame him for being p1ssed off.

As for Raaaay, he is a very good commentator on 2GB, (if hes calling the games that is) but I cant stand his program on Weekends. I hope he just sticks to commentating.

It will be interesting to see who he would be calling with, no doubt Lewis and Fittler (god I hope not) would be alright, but is there still bad blood between Sterlo and Fatty?

It will also be interesting to see what happens when both Raaayy and Rabs are both London for the Olympics (assuming they were both there).

Voss is the obvious choice as main caller, but for the other Friday night games who would they bring in?

I would give Hadley some time calling, I know he wasnt that great in last years Rugby World Cup, which sounded like he was calling League, but he might go ok.

Now as for Matty Johns going to Fox, best of luck to him. Hope he shaves his beard if hes going to be a presenter on Fox. At least better than Phelan.

So many changes in 2012, and probably see more in 2013.

Big_nick

Juniors
I am also a Vossy fan, the random facts occasionally get irritating, but he knows every player and does his research. Its may be sad but Rabs has to go next year. He was a great commentator, now he is an old man that calls the wrong players and bitches with the full-of-himself fat Gould.

I dont mind Hadley on radio because he does explain the scenario in play well, but after the union it has shown he is not made for calling on tv. We can see what is happening, he doesnt need to do the same as his radio calls.

M2D2

Bench
Rabs/Gould is f**king horrible. Its one of two main reasons why i want nine to lose the rights to the football.
And now f**kING HADLEY?
Make it stop. Make the bad man stop.

Last edited:

Latest posts