What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 15 v Knights

The Realist

Juniors
The game is getting faster every year. This is not sustainable. One easy fix is to reduce the number of interchanges to six then eventually four. The game is better when there is more fatigue.

I'd argue the other way. Introducing more 'fatigue' puts players under more strain and hence more injuries.

Reducing the interchange has meant that forwards now have to play bigger minutes, but also that outside backs have grown in size to help out the forwards in their ball carrying duties.

The Realist

Juniors
Wish we got a young Frank Pritchard in this current set-up. Had a good career but he could have been more

People seem to forget what a weapon he was. Easily the most dynamic attacking 2nd rower of the time. He broke tackles for fun at times and was nearly as agile and quick as an outside back. The combo he had with Jennings was lethal. Immensely gifted player, that again - was completely wasted by being under a bad coach in a sub-standard club.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I'd argue the other way. Introducing more 'fatigue' puts players under more strain and hence more injuries.

Reducing the interchange has meant that forwards now have to play bigger minutes, but also that outside backs have grown in size to help out the forwards in their ball carrying duties.
Could not disagree more . IT would SLOW the game down less impact in the collision. There are more injuries now than ever before . the game is too fast.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Could not disagree more . IT would SLOW the game down less impact in the collision. There are more injuries now than ever before . the game is too fast.

and the players have become too big. Go back and look at players like Sattler (in the 60's), even Churchill in the 1950's. That's why players are getting injured so badly.

Players spending far too long on weights etc.

I'd like to see bench back to 2. For injuries. If you are interchanged you can't return in the game.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
and the players have become too big. Go back and look at players like Sattler (in the 60's), even Churchill in the 1950's. That's why players are getting injured so badly.

I'd like to see bench back to 2. For injuries. If you are interchanged you can't return in the game.
It's not the 60's those bench conditions would be insane

WestyLife

First Grade

With a bench like that you'd kill players.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
With a bench like that you'd kill players.

I don't think so.

It means players would continue to get bigger and bigger, and the game become a version of NFL. With a defensive and an attacking team.

It would allow the smaller agile player to once again thrive.

I also realise that it probably won't happen.

That being so, a 4 person bench I can live with.

But I'd like to see if a player is interchanged he can't return, except for say a HIA.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You are way off here Alice

Just my opinion Chins. One of the few hills I'm prepared to die on regarding the game.

It would stop players getting more and more muscle bound. Look at the 1960's Sattler and compare him to say JWH. The size difference is huge.

It would allow the smaller framed person into the game. Bloke like Jayden Campbell would flourish.

I believe it would also help curb some of those dreadful impact injuries that are so bad.

WestyLife

First Grade
Just my opinion Chins. One of the few hills I'm prepared to die on regarding the game.

It would stop players getting more and more muscle bound. Look at the 1960's Sattler and compare him to say JWH. The size difference is huge.

It would allow the smaller framed person into the game. Bloke like Jayden Campbell would flourish.

I believe it would also help curb some of those dreadful impact injuries that are so bad.

Sport science has come a long way. The guys who can play 80 mins and have huge endurance are still pretty big. It wouldn't change much except remove the exceptions like NAS from the storm.

Pomoz

Bench
I like the idea of less interchanges. Make players more fatigued. They will be smaller because they will run more kms with less interchanges. As they tire they run slower. Less muscle mass and slower speeds will mean the collisions will be less forceful and should lead to less injuries.

I would even support once you are substituted, that's it, you can't go back on. It will stop teams carrying massive players on the bench for short bursts.

Latest posts