What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 17 vs Tigers

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I think this season is a write-off

Gus made a 5 year plan and this is the 5th year.
But this year we released Taylor, Soward, Chicko, and Ivan Cleary.

We signed a few muppets and blooded a few young-uns.
Seems like we are still re-building.
I think because Gus you made the wrong decision of sacking Cleary.
If Cleary was still here we would still have the spine of Chicko, Soward, Walace, Moylan

Why the hell you would want Wallace in the halves, I have no idea.

Sacking Cleary wasn't the problem; he had a different set of flaws that were always going to hold us back to some extent (super-conservative with selection, little clue in attack). The problem was replacing him with Griffin, who has some positives (showing faith in young players) and just as many negatives.

Why the hell you would want Wallace in the halves, I have no idea.

Sacking Cleary wasn't the problem; he had a different set of flaws that were always going to hold us back to some extent (super-conservative with selection, little clue in attack). The problem was replacing him with Griffin, who has some positives (showing faith in young players) and just as many negatives.

Nathan wouldn't be debuting till he was 25 if his dad was still here

franklin2323

Immortal
'touch footy' you guys watch NYC? That's how it's played down there. A young team in NRL will play that style. Canberra last yr. WT, Warriors all are the same

Also how many coaches in their 1st years get teams playing their style? Usually takes atleast a season

Fibroman

First Grade
Last nights performance just confirmed for me that Hook is a complete gumby as a coach.

We have no structure at all and are a disgrace in defence.

Letting ET go is a major cause of our defensive problems.

Cartwright is not a 5/8th. He is a running backrower. Watching Tedesco in full flight just rammed home what I have been saying on this forum for weeks now, that Moylan is not fast enough to play fullback. He is sh1t at returning kicks. The only place for him in the team, moving forward is in the #6, but that dimwit Griffen has stated that he won't be playing him there.

Very frustrating for a supporter to say the least.

panther.mike

Juniors
Frustrating...expected but still frustrating.. I thought that our forwards could have won the game for us if allowed.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
For me, it was if we were trying to score off every touch of the ball, instead of calling completing sets, getting repeat sets and building pressure.

I think it's time to move Cartwright back to the forwards and at least try Moylan at 6 until TMM is back.

Cartwright has been playing well, last night felt he tried to do too much on his own. We need a genuine halves pairing! We just need to hang on till TMM is back.

BxTom

Bench
I noticed that Wallace had a very bad game, he went missing at dummy half a few times and looked to be struggling badly - more than just form I thought. Is he carrying an injury? Ominous now we have said goodbye to Segs.

Tom.

maple_69

Bench
That was a really frustrating game for two reasons. Firstly our defence was like Swiss cheese. I don't know what the issue was there. We haven't looked that fragile all year. It's going to hold us from being a serious threat this year but i can accept that we have had a huge turnover in the side and hopefully have the chance to stick pretty close to a side and build structures and understanding next year. The two Tedesco line breaks did show that Cartwright is too slow to defend that wide.

The other is the fact that our attack looked more dangerous than it has in years and we couldn't finish it off. We looked like shredding the Tigers constantly but couldn't nail the final pass. Cleary bombing to Blake makes so much sense. Cartwright is close to undefendable at the moment. Mansour has gone to another level since his Origin debut. His defence is immaculate, grunt work is still there, finishing fantastic, making line breaks. Wallace is over playing his hand a bit at the moment. Hopefully with a proper 5/8 back in a few weeks he can play a simpler game.

Disappointing game but at the same time it showed we certainly have the talent at the club to be a very dominant side. Big question is whether Griffin has the skill as a coach to take them there.

We just can't get going this year, we win a couple then lose against teams we should beat. When we do win we win scrappy. We should have flogged Souths last week.
I suppose one can't be surprised when you have a back rower in the centres, (I know cause of injuries)a backrower in 5/8 and halfback in at hooker. It make it hard to get consistent cohesion.
We were playing better footy at the start of the year pushing the Sharks and the Cowboys to the limit in games we could have won. I think if we play those teams now at full strength they will thrash us, that is how much we have gone backwards in the past 2 months.

GongPanther

Referee
All of this mess so far this season,which most haven't remembered,is because of our two injured centres.

They are fit,we are in the top 4 easily.It's simply hard luck where we are ATM.But if one looks at the ladder,we are yet to play our extra game,which will be against the Sharks next week.God I hope Cartwright and Moylan miss selection.

mxlegend99

Referee
Whare cant cover for a bloke inside him getting beat straight up. He's our best defender but he wouldn't make that much difference in an effort like that. Our team has been chopped and changed all year and while some changes seem to be looking at the future. You have random ones like Cartwright at 5/8th. Wallace at hooker. Peachey at centre. Which can't be long term answers and we are behind where we were years ago.

Moylan to 5/8th was the natural progression once Soward was dropped.
Peachey should be attempted to convert to a hooker rather than a centre. Letting Segeyaro go and throwing Wallace there permanently has screwed up that part of our spine. Peachey might not be the answer. But if he's going to be used as a bandaid it should be in the position where he could have a long term future with us.

I would look at:
1. Hardaker/ DWZ
2. Mansour
3. Blake
4. DWZ / Hardaker
5. Gennings
6. Moylan
7. Cleary
8. RCG
9. Wallace
10. Latu
11. Merrin
12. Yeo
13. Cartwright

14. Peachey (hooker primarily)
15. Grevsmuhl
16. Latimore
17. JFH

If Peachey can adapt to hooker then we can drop Wallace to the bench and then permanently. If not we need to try someone else in that role. Wallace is a bandaid solution. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Rowdy Panther

Juniors
All of this mess so far this season,which most haven't remembered,is because of our two injured centres.

They are fit,we are in the top 4 easily.It's simply hard luck where we are ATM.But if one looks at the ladder,we are yet to play our extra game,which will be against the Sharks next week.God I hope Cartwright and Moylan miss selection.

LOL. You have got to be kidding.

It is not as simple as that my poor south coast friend.

Rowdy Panther

Juniors
To simplify things for you, we have a coach who tells the players to go out onto the field and do their very best. That's it. That is the gameplan. Those are the tactics.

betcats

Referee
24 points should be enough to win a game. We wont go anywhere with this defence, its been f**ked all year and is getting worse if anything.