What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 21 Team V Knights

I haven't had a chance to search the papers yet but during SOO there was a good article re Frizz's injuries and his pain threshold hopefully I can find it for you.
I never underestimate what the cost of injuries are to a team or a player.
Some injuries you can play on with under sufferance but IMHO it is always far better if you can shake them off altogether rather than having them potentially impact at the business end of the season.
If we were to lose Frizz and / or Packer now and for an extend period that would severely impact and limit our chances and that's why my preference would be to have rested them to get over injuries whilst we had an opportunity to do so which is the very essence of the point I am trying to make.
I know they can play on with them but I also know that if left till later it can well and truly bight you on the arse at the least opportune time.
The chance to rest them is somewhat passed which is why I am annoyed and now we don't have much other option but to play them and thus run a greater risk of losing them.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d/news-story/15c8c738024d881b94f741d42549ac89

He is a tough boy.. I think the 3 rib injuries and the lower back injury and throw in an ankle would stop most ... you can function and it hurts but add to that collisions and tackling...

The risk may not be in making the injuries worse, but incurring further injuries due to playing in a manner to protect the current injuries. That is changing his body mechanics and loading other areas of his body.

You won't stop this kid from playing whilst the choice is his... one tough ombré. But you do have to worry about his longevity in the game.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...d/news-story/15c8c738024d881b94f741d42549ac89

He is a tough boy.. I think the 3 rib injuries and the lower back injury and throw in an ankle would stop most ... you can function and it hurts but add to that collisions and tackling...

The risk may not be in making the injuries worse, but incurring further injuries due to playing in a manner to protect the current injuries. That is changing his body mechanics and loading other areas of his body.

You won't stop this kid from playing whilst the choice is his... one tough ombré. But you do have to worry about his longevity in the game.

Not sure if the link worked.. but a cut and paste looks a bit like this .

Sports doctor Nathan Gibbs says Tyson Frizell is one of the toughest players he has ever treated

DAVID RICCIO, The Sunday Telegraph

July 23, 2017 8:00am

LEADING sports doctor Nathan Gibbs has treated them all.

In the 90s with NSW and Australian teams, it was Manly’s fearless halfback Geoff Toovey and Newcastle’s Paul ‘The Chief’ Harragon.

Gibbs has stitched, diagnosed and subsided pain for he toughest NRL and AFL players over the past 33-years. He famously declared ahead of the 1997 grand final that Andrew Johns “could die” if he played with a punctured lung.

But in a rare dose of praise for one of the NRL quiet achievers, Gibbs has declared Dragons forward Tyson Frizell one of the toughest footballers he’s ever encountered.

The hard-running Dragons forward returns to the field this afternoon against Manly in Wollongong after playing in the Blues Origin III series loss to Queensland, with not one, but three separate rib injuries.

Gibbs, who took his own Origin tally as the NSW team doctor in the decider to 16, said Frizell played with injuries which have left other players watching from the sidelines.

“Put it this way, if there was a 100m final for the toughest, he’d have a spot on the start line,’’ Gibbs said.

Despite requiring painkilling injections to his rib cage, Frizell managed to produce 30 tackles — second only to NSW hooker Nathan Peats. His 55 running metres, were in line with a badly beaten NSW pack.

Gibbs said it was Frizell’s mental toughness that sets him apart from the rest.

“I reckon our discussion ahead of Origin III lasted all of 10 seconds,’’ Gibbs said.

“He said “Yeah, I’m playing I’m good, thanks mate, see you later.

“Knowing what he was like from certainly Origin I and II, I had total confidence in his judgment to play injured.

“They (rib injuries) were absolute genuine reasons why you could pull out of a football game.

“And if any player came up to me with a rib injury or like the three of them that Tyson had and said: “I’m too sore Doc, I can’t play,’’ I would say medically he’s not fit, you’re out.

“But if the same player comes up and says; ‘I’ll be okay, I can handle the pain,’’

“You have to have pretty good mental toughness to play well, like he intended to do.

“He certainly gets a tick from me for being able to play with injury and play tough.

“He doesn’t carry on and just gets the job done. You couldn’t tell he was hurt.’’

Rather than Frizell ruling himself out, it was Dragons coach Paul McGregor who ‘rested’ Frizell from the club’s most recent clash with Canberra last weekend.

“I could see how uncomfortable he was, so my main concern for Tyson was his welfare — not what he could do on a footy field,’’ McGregor said.

“Tyson is a player who won’t let you really know the depth of an injury.

“He controls his pain very well.’’

Returning to training with the Dragons last Tuesday after five days off, McGregor said Frizell declined an offer to rest again and miss Sunday’s clash with Manly.

“He said; “No way, I want to play,’’ McGregor said.

“I gave him an out, if he needed it. But he didn’t want to know about it. That’s the Tyson we’ve known about for some time.’’

GC Dragon

Juniors

Extremely good and accurate post . I am not in any way advocating resting players just for the sake of resting them . And yes most are plenty knocked around by this time of year .
But with Frizell I watched him at the captains run the day before the Titans game and he was busted as was Dugan and Packer . Frizell warmed up before the game with Pickwick and blind Freddie could see he wasn't right . He lasted somewhere around 25 mins and had no impact at all on the game before taking a knock in the back and leaving the field . Jacob Host was with the team and should have played .
Dugan carried a bad cork into the match took a knock on it and that was it for him . The knock on affect was Mann who most wanted to see play half ended up on the wing and Nighty at fullback . Again Dufty should have played .
Packer was forced to stay on the field in the second half with a his bad hip ...The same hip he had surgery on until he physically couldn't walk . He was at times 20 metres behind where he should have been on the field and in obvious distress . Again this would have been a chance to give somebody like Kerr a game from the bench .
Aitken came back to soon and was a passenger with his hamstring and ended up missing the Raiders game 2 weeks latter ..... And on a side note what happened to Zac Lomax in the 20's against the Titans is beyond belief ...( I noticed he hasn't played since )

So we ended that game with 13 against 17 from pure bad management and Mary's desperation approach to coaching . I have no doubt they all wanted to play but a competent coach would have simply told them that they were not playing . With a Bye the following week maybe a bit of common sense would have suggested they have a couple of weeks off .

The Raiders game seen Frizell and Aitken out and Packer break down in the first tackle of the game . So we played a man short there as well . As I said I don't want every player rested but Frizell needed to be better managed during Origin with a view to having him a bit physically and mentally fresher for our run to the finals . And Packer much the same ...The buck stops with Mary as the head coach not the players or medical staff but he has mastered the art of passing the buck and the " Fear of failure " approach to NRL coaching .

Overseas dragon

Juniors
One thing I did notice last week Dufty didn't get much thrown at him from DCE grubbers /torpedos and so on .Newcastle half back Trent Hodkinson is sure to throw plenty at the kid .this week's audition is sure to be much harder than last weeks

Dragonbaal

Juniors
Some people on here are NEVER happy! Come on people you all whinged that McGregor shoul keep Duffy at fback and Dugan in the centresand he has, yes Friz and packer are playing injured but that is the same for all teams at this time of the season. Come on just try to stay positive and enjoy the rest of the year because most of us would not have dreamed we would be in with a shot at the semis at the beginning of the year. It is what it is so PLEASE stop analyzing every little thing, let's love our team and cheer them on! If they were as negative as some people on here we would have the spoon.
COME ON THE MIGHTIES!!!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
This is the right team, the balance is perfect.

We now have options in attack that we didn't have previously which was hurting us in those tough games. We would be so reliant on our left edge to bring up the points but our right side attack is now potentially so much more potent. I would be shitting myself if I saw Frizell running at me at full speed not knowing if he's going to receive the short ball or run a decoy... Or having Dufty burning me for pace not knowing whether he will hit the accelerator or throw a cut out pass to a flying Macdonald.. Or having Dugan hitting holes on the edges. Dugan is great under the high ball as well so that gives us options having Dugan and Macdonald next to each other going up for attacking bombs.

It's a nice thought.

GC Dragon

Juniors

We now have options in attack that we didn't have previously which was hurting us in those tough games. We would be so reliant on our left edge to bring up the points but our right side attack is now potentially so much more potent. I would be shitting myself if I saw Frizell running at me at full speed not knowing if he's going to receive the short ball or run a decoy... Or having Dufty burning me for pace not knowing whether he will hit the accelerator or throw a cut out pass to a flying Macdonald.. Or having Dugan hitting holes on the edges. Dugan is great under the high ball as well so that gives us options having Dugan and Macdonald next to each other going up for attacking bombs.

It's a nice thought.
I agree with what you say . I like what Dufty offers from the back and I think Dugan will fix that right side defensive problem we have had . Nene will be all the better defensively playing outside Dugan . My only slight change would be Mann on the left wing and Nighty to the bench to add a touch more in attack .

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Preview: Round 21 v Newcastle Knights
Thu 27th July, 12:00PM
A A

Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons
McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle
Saturday, 3pm

The St George Illawarra Dragons turned their finals fortunes around last weekend with a resounding win over the Sea Eagles – but a threat lies ahead in the Newcastle Knights.

The Knights gave the Dragons an almighty scare last time they met and have remained in most games to the bitter end since, which spells an 80 minute performance is required from the Red V.

Newcastle will have to make do with winger Chanel Mata'utia after he was concussed last weekend against the Roosters. He'll be replaced by Ken Sio.

The Dragons have a couple of changes too with Joel Thompson (ankle) named to return in the back row after being a late withdrawal last week. Thompson returns at the expense of Blake Lawrie.

Euan Aitken's (shoulder) latest setback has opened the door for Josh Dugan (hamstring) to slot back into the team in the centres following Matt Dufty's solid NRL debut against the Sea Eagles.

Teams –

Knights: 1. Nathan Ross, 2. Ken Sio, 3. Dane Gagai, 4. Peter Mata'utia, 5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall, 6. Brock Lamb, 7. Trent Hodkinson, 8. Daniel Saifiti, 9. Jamie Buhrer (c), 10. Josh King, 11. Sione Mata'utia (c), 12. Joe Wardle, 13. Mitchell Barnett. Interchange: 14. Danny Levi, 15. Luke Yates, 16. Lachlan Fitzgibbon, 17. Mickey Paea, 18. Jack Cogger, 19. Sam Stone, 20. Brendan Elliott, 21. Jacob Saifiti.

Dragons: 1. Matt Dufty, 2. Nene Macdonald, 3. Josh Dugan, 4. Tim Lafai, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Gareth Widdop (c), 7. Josh McCrone, 8. Leeson Ah Mau, 9. Cameron McInnes, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Tyson Frizell, 12. Joel Thompson, 13.Jack de Belin. Interchange: 14. Tariq Sims, 15. Jacob Host, 16. Russell Packer, 17. Kurt Mann, 18. Blake Lawrie, 19. Taane Milne, 20. Luciano Leilua, 21. Jake Marketo.

Key Match-Up: Mitchell Barnett v Jack de Belin: The ball-playing locks are a dying breed but in Barnett and de Belin there's still hope for the traditional role intended for the No. 13 jersey. The two locks are the most proficient offloaders within their respective teams. Their workloads (Barnett – 85.9 metres, 36.1 tackles per game; de Belin – 128.9 metres, 33.7 tackles per game) remain crucial for both the Knights and Dragons' fortunes.

The History: Played 33; Knights 10, Dragons 23. The Dragons survived a last start fright against the Knights when they last played five weeks ago. Down 28-10 at half-time, the Red V clawed their way back into proceedings to claim a four-point victory. The Dragons' win made it five-consecutive wins for them against Newcastle.

Match Officials: Referee: Gavin Badger. Assistant Referee: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski. Sideline Officials: Ricky MacFarlane and Clayton Sharpe.

Televised: Fox League – Live coverage from 2:25pm

Radio: ABC and Triple M

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/07/27/nrl_preview_round_21.html

Crush

Coach

It's a nice thought.
I think I am going to use reverse psychology for this weekends game. I never like it when we are favourites to win, we usually lose those. So here goes.
Dufty will be exposed for his defensive deficiencies and Dugan will be shifted to the back in the second half. Lafai will try to be too cute and run around the winger and get dragged into touch on the first. Macdonald will go back to his old ways and just plod into the line.
The forwards won't turn up and get dominated by the younger knights pack. The crowd will fire the knights up and they will finally hang on to win a tight one. Knights by 4.
There you go. Now the Dragons have a chance!

Bench
Dufty had to be picked now and hopefully he will retain the spot for the rest of the season.
He showed in the game against Manly his willingness to chime into the back line in attack.
He did take a couple of high kicks without any trouble. There was no pressure on him with those kicks. So we will have to wait and see how he goes but I hope noone compares him with Dugan's defence. It's chalk and chees trying to compare them.
I hope Dufty goes well but dont forget this will be only his second game and we shouldn't be to hard on him

Old Timer

Coach
Good to see the youngun selected again.
Plenty of applause for Mc Fookknuckle doing it however no doubt necessity is the mother of invention.
My hope is that now the kid has been selected he retains the job until season end and that we don't all of a sudden go for security if something goes a bit pear shape.
Dufty looks like he has great head for time and space on the paddock and he will learn very quickly being in the top grade and if he returns to reggies he will go backwards because reggies is a very different game and there is absolutely no one back there for him to learn from.

Gareth67

First Grade
The stars are in alignment once again for the Big Red V . They have form on the board from their last 2 matches and if they are the ' real deal ' should continue on their winning way this weekend , against Newcastle .

The only downside that I can see is that they underestimate the Knights , in which case we will end up in a dog fight with them . I would really like to see the backs take more ownership of the attack and not leave everything to Widdop . With Dugan in the centres the defence should improve and hopefully the attack will flow more easily then in the past

Real Deal Dragons by 20 . . . . . Dog Fight Dragons by 2

dragonssamy61

First Grade
The stars are in alignment once again for the Big Red V . They have form on the board from their last 2 matches and if they are the ' real deal ' should continue on their winning way this weekend , against Newcastle .

The only downside that I can see is that they underestimate the Knights , in which case we will end up in a dog fight with them . I would really like to see the backs take more ownership of the attack and not leave everything to Widdop . With Dugan in the centres the defence should improve and hopefully the attack will flow more easily then in the past

Real Deal Dragons by 20 . . . . . Dog Fight Dragons by 2

Gareth
There should be no complacency from the dragons after the last time we played the Knights.
We will lift as will they.