What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Eels v Manly GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 20/5/22

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I could be wrong but Hodgson might surprise a few people. Even as recent as 2019 he was one of the best players in the comp. Without him the Raiders don’t make the GF that year.

lucablight

First Grade
I could be wrong but Hodgson might surprise a few people. Even as recent as 2019 he was one of the best players in the comp. Without him the Raiders don’t make the GF that year.
You could be right but once we get to 2023 then 2019 won’t be recent anymore. The landscape has changed a lot since then. Penrith weren’t even a finals team at the time.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You could be right but once we get to 2023 then 2019 won’t be recent anymore. The landscape has changed a lot since then. Penrith weren’t even a finals team at the time.
Well it’s lucky the club has taken a proactive approach then, and have 2 rookies in the squad who could go either way along with a season veteran who could go around again….plus Hodgson (who was good in 2021)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That will be almost 4 years and two knee reco’s ago. Do you think the Raiders would be letting him go if he was still capable of getting near of what he offered up in 2019??

Even if he stays on the field the new faster game didn’t seem to suit him at all. Canberra last year looked a better side when Starling was on the field.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That will be almost 4 years and two knee reco’s ago. Do you think the Raiders would be letting him go if he was still capable of getting near of what he offered up in 2019??

Even if he stays on the field the new faster game didn’t seem to suit him at all. Canberra last year looked a better side when Starling was on the field.
I wouldn’t read too much into Ricky “Whiteboard” Stuart letting people go. Players just have to look at the merkin the wrong way and he sends them packing.

I agree, the knee reco’s are a risk but he certainly won’t have forgotten how to play in the space of 4 years. Pace of the game is a non-issue. Cam Smith was a slug at 9 but still dominated as a 54 year old.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Whether Penrith were good or bad in 2019 is largely irrelevant tbh.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This is true but it's not that long ago that the dogs were perennial finalists and even made a couple of grand finals.
Interestingly that is actually a great example to compare us too and not what to do to.

plenty of reports about all the Hasler era contracts and how it set them back as reflected by their cap
/ roster issue’s.

It’s a good example of how short term cap management really stuffs a club for many years later! Paying l overs creates more issues then letting players leave rather then paying overs!!

Luckily we are no longer that club!

Interestingly that is actually a great example to compare us too and not what to do to.

plenty of reports about all the Hasler era contracts and how it set them back as reflected by their cap
/ roster issue’s.

It’s a good example of how short term cap management really stuffs a club for many years later! Paying l overs creates more issues then letting players leave rather then paying overs!!

Luckily we are no longer that club!
And yet it very nearly had the desired outcome. If they had bagged a title there'd be more than a few Eels supporters who'd take that tradeoff. I'm also not convinced they were as bad off when Does left as it appeared. People also thought he'd left Manly in disarray and yet when he went back results improved remarkably. Anyway, I like what O'Neill is doing for us.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I wouldn’t read too much into Ricky “Whiteboard” Stuart letting people go. Players just have to look at the merkin the wrong way and he sends them packing.

I agree, the knee reco’s are a risk but he certainly won’t have forgotten how to play in the space of 4 years. Pace of the game is a non-issue. Cam Smith was a slug at 9 but still dominated as a 54 year old.
Cammy never played V’Landy’s ball, as usual the merkin’s timing was perfect.

The game now is all about speed, speed and more speed. Hodgson is a bald whoops ball playing dummy half with no knee cartilage. In 2019 he was almost the equal of Cammy. But now with the different game and coming off two knee reco’s what can he really offer us next year. I hope I’m wrong and he absolutely kills it because if he finds his best he could make a real difference in our attack.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Cammy never played V’Landy’s ball, as usual the merkin’s timing was perfect.

The game now is all about speed, speed and more speed. Hodgson is a bald whoops ball playing dummy half with no knee cartilage. In 2019 he was almost the equal of Cammy. But now with the different game and coming off two knee reco’s what can he really offer us next year. I hope I’m wrong and he absolutely kills it because if he finds his best he could make a real difference i our attack.
Many Eels are critical of the lack of running game from our 9. Id suggest there may be even less from 2023. Hopefully Hodgsons guile and craft can substitute for this.

Latest posts