What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD12 Vs Sea Eagles

Kilkenny

Coach
It's not about how good they are. Staines has been in the 21 and also picked before MWZ until Mandatory isolation and lockjaw happened. Ivan has made the pecking order very clear.

MWZ is a pretty dependable back up. If he going to figure in our fu
Staines definitely comes straight in if he is fit, his debut has more than earned him another shot with To'o being out.

Who would Staines be marking up against? That may have some bearing on Ivans decision making?

Personally, I think Ivan will play it safe and go with MWZ. Just my opinion.

betcats

Referee
MWZ is a pretty dependable back up. If he going to figure in our fu

Who would Staines be marking up against? That may have some bearing on Ivans decision making?

Personally, I think Ivan will play it safe and go with MWZ. Just my opinion.

MWZ was good on the weekend but he isnt going to keep a fit Staines out of the side.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Not so sure. On the back of his debut you would like to think so, but to his credit MWZ was pretty solid on the weekend and could be worth persisting with for this week and giving Staines another week. Given MWZ hadn’t played NRL for a year or so, no NSW Cup I thought he did a really terrific job.

MWZ was very good, no doubt, but, Charlie was picked ahead of him and came out scored 4 and set one up. I think he should be picked ahead of him again.

or Rest Mansour.

Kilkenny

Coach
MWZ was very good, no doubt, but, Charlie was picked ahead of him and came out scored 4 and set one up. I think he should be picked ahead of him again.

or Rest Mansour.

I understand that. Won’t be disappointed at all if Charlie is picked to start but I can sort off see Ivan’s thinking and he does have a history of going down the safe route.

WestyLife

First Grade
I understand that. Won’t be disappointed at all if Charlie is picked to start but I can sort off see Ivan’s thinking and he does have a history of going down the safe route.

But everything Ivan has done points to MWZ being a last resort though so I'm not sure how you'd see him being the safe option.

franklin2323

Immortal
As the season progresses, we will need to heavily rotate the squad. Without NSW Cup, there will be a need to ensure players get some match fitness going into the finals.

If I were IC, I'd secure the top four and look to rotate players who could become vital contributors if injuries or suspensions hit the squad.

A few guys could of played last week. Kikau especially. So I like them resting guys up

franklin2323

Immortal
MWZ cost us a try last weekend due to his lack of pace. What’s with this obsession some have for “safe” options. You don’t win things by playing it safe, you win things by grabbing life by the balls.

Needs a bit of both. No point having speed if they let you down in other areas

franklin2323

Immortal
But everything Ivan has done points to MWZ being a last resort though so I'm not sure how you'd see him being the safe option.

I think Staines is too small for regular wing but a good chance to get him an extended run. MWZ meanwhile likely doesn't re-sign so that tells me where he sits in the pecking order

Kilkenny

Coach
MWZ cost us a try last weekend due to his lack of pace. What’s with this obsession some have for “safe” options. You don’t win things by playing it safe, you win things by grabbing life by the balls.

There is no obsession. Sometimes it is horses for courses and probably why Cleary may stick with MWZ for this week’s game against the Sea Eagles. Not saying he should simply saying he might and perhaps there are valid reasons as to why he may do so.

They do say fortune favours the brave and that probably aligns with your grabbing life by the balls statement so on that basis I certainly agree.

WestyLife

First Grade
I think Staines is too small for regular wing but a good chance to get him an extended run. MWZ meanwhile likely doesn't re-sign so that tells me where he sits in the pecking order

Yeah he'll need some more pre season. I'm more looking at what Ivan's done so far rather than our personal opinions. He seems to prefer Staines before MWZ for whatever reason.

Kilkenny

Coach
We re-signed him over the pre season for a reason

I specifically recall Panther Daz (who hasn’t been active on here for a while) saying the powers that be had a huge opinion of Charlie Staines hence his re-signing I guess.

It was some time back and given his debut I guess that demonstrates his potential.

It is one game, we should not get ahead of ourselves and he will benefit from the full off season coming up to further develop his body and skill set.

There's a much greater obsession with removing any player over 22 out of squad or anyone that can't run 100m in under 10 seconds.

Not from me. I’ve always been an advocate for the importance of experience, but they need to be able to cut it as a player as well.

MWZ can’t hold a candle to Staines talent, it’s a no brainer of a selection.

There is no obsession. Sometimes it is horses for courses and probably why Cleary may stick with MWZ for this week’s game against the Sea Eagles. Not saying he should simply saying he might and perhaps there are valid reasons as to why he may do so.

They do say fortune favours the brave and that probably aligns with your grabbing life by the balls statement so on that basis I certainly agree.

We already know Ivan preferred Staines over MWZ when they were both fit.

What possible reason would there be for sticking with MWZ? You called him safe, but his lack of speed cost us a titans try last weekend. He’s not first grade standard. The type of guy you select when there’s literally no other option. Harsh but true.

betcats

Referee
There's a much greater obsession with removing any player over 22 out of squad or anyone that can't run 100m in under 10 seconds.

Most of the team is 22 or over. Critta, Spence, To'o and Burns are the only regulars we have under that age and when we are fully fit they wont all be in the side. Staines is already ahead of MWZ is the pecking order so unless there is some doubt over his fitness it doesnt make sense that they would not pick him again.

Edit: Brian will be 22 before he is back from his injury. Its not about age at all, its about performance.

I specifically recall Panther Daz (who hasn’t been active on here for a while) saying the powers that be had a huge opinion of Charlie Staines hence his re-signing I guess.

It was some time back and given his debut I guess that demonstrates his potential.

It is one game, we should not get ahead of ourselves and he will benefit from the full off season coming up to further develop his body and skill set.

It was only one game. But in that one game he did more than MWZ will ever do.

I’m stunned anyone would think MWZ might be a better option than Staines.

Latest posts