What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd14 2024: Eels v Bulldogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium June 10th

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tell us something about the actual game you and we all watched today though, not just these same empty devoid statements...
I already told you we didn’t complete high enough. Then some merkin asked why it was relevant, and the explanation was indeed an “empty devoid statement”. You should be past the point of needing simple shit explained to you but you’re obviously not. Don’t ask stupid questions and then complain about the answers.

I already told you we didn’t complete high enough. Then some merkin asked why it was relevant, and the explanation was indeed an “empty devoid statement”. You should be past the point of needing simple shit explained to you but you’re obviously not. Don’t ask stupid questions and then complain about the answers.
So you have been early drinking again, angry man 😂

oldmancraigy

Coach
On reflection everyone reacted to last night with let’s say justifiable anger at losing that game.

The issue is not new , and it goes back to a lack of action in recruitment to 2021, we knew that 6/7 players from the top 17/20 would be moving on at the end of 2022. How were they replaced, an injured 32 year old hooker and a couple of journeymen forwards hoping that the coach would turn them into NRL standard players. The past 2 seasons has seen similar recruitment, 2 players languishing in reserves at Manly and similar.

Sure, it would have been a bit of an uproar if RCG, junior, lane, Matto , Dylbro and Moses etc weren't extended but guess we can argue contracts etc. That’s why the big bucks is paid to the people to get correct.

Still difficult to comprehend that the club goes forward with a short roster, not enough backline players, and not seeing that tactically there was need to add speed.To be honest even the juniors seem to lack noticeable speedsters.

Until that side of the club is up to speed , then it’s difficult to see significant improvement. Anger doesn’t mean the reaction was incorrect or over the top, but underlined the issues that most saw .

It isn't a lack of action, it is a chosen direction

We have gone the way the plan directed us to go. Attempting to put a shine on other teams discards - it has worked on a number of occasions, but not the last couple of years....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
67% completion rate. And a man in the bin. Gave away 9 penalties. Made 15 errors? Poor execution.
They where poor for most the game. Less errors and better execution and they win by 40.
You really don't understand footy do you.
Their defensive intensity was excellent, which led to all the fouls. They made a lot of errors because they needed to shift the ball against us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The issue is not new , and it goes back to a lack of action in recruitment to 2021, we knew that 6/7 players from the top 17/20 would be moving on at the end of 2022.
But some assume they could’ve been replaced by like players. As if they were leaving because we didn’t want them. I put it to you that the 2021-22 squad was strong because we had a lot of players on unders, and when they came off contract they all required upgrades. That meant upgrading some (and taking up more cap space than they used previously) while letting others go because we couldn’t afford to match rival offers. That meant we couldn’t afford to pay what was required to replace them with someone as good. That’s just how the salary cap squeeze works.

Delboy

First Grade
So Gutho tells the ref at the end of the game that there was a no call on an obstruction play in their last try. Gough says well it is what it is etc. Moses questions him on the smack to the face that caused Carty to drop the ball, again nothing from the ref or bunker.

What concerned me more, the sideline camera showed reasonably clearly that Asi got the ball on the line, the video ref ( she who cannot be named) doesn’t go back to that angle, just looks at the front on that is unclear. Then the video ref calls a tackle on Asi where he just stands his ground and Preston runs into him, gets injured and she calls it back, wtf. That led to a change of possession to the Dogs and ultimately a disputed winning try.

Yep, we should have won etc etc, but some officials shouldn’t t be officials making decisions and that hasn’t changed.

Delboy

First Grade
But some assume they could’ve been replaced by like players. As if they were leaving because we didn’t want them. I put it to you that the 2021-22 squad was strong because we had a lot of players on unders, and when they came off contract they all required upgrades. That meant upgrading some (and taking up more cap space than they used previously) while letting others go because we couldn’t afford to match rival offers. That meant we couldn’t afford to pay what was required to replace them with someone as good. That’s just how the salary cap squeeze works.
You’ve made that comment several times, the HOF is there to manage the cap and ensure the roster is able to be maintained at a certain level and gets paid well to do that. Losing 6/7 players on unders as you say, could be replaced by 3 decent player and some tyros. That’s what well run clubs do, we don’t.

King-Gutho94

Coach
So Gutho tells the ref at the end of the game that there was a no call on an obstruction play in their last try. Gough says well it is what it is etc. Moses questions him on the smack to the face that caused Carty to drop the ball, again nothing from the ref or bunker.

What concerned me more, the sideline camera showed reasonably clearly that Asi got the ball on the line, the video ref ( she who cannot be named) doesn’t go back to that angle, just looks at the front on that is unclear. Then the video ref calls a tackle on Asi where he just stands his ground and Preston runs into him, gets injured and she calls it back, wtf. That led to a change of possession to the Dogs and ultimately a disputed winning try.

Yep, we should have won etc etc, but some officials shouldn’t t be officials making decisions and that hasn’t changed.
Ill name her

Kasey Badger and she is useless shouldn't be there.

She isn't up to it.

Incorrect

Coach
the video ref ( she who cannot be named) doesn’t go back to that angle, just looks at the front on that is unclear.
Not saying I disagree with your post but just on the part I've quoted, the Bunker review footage independent of what the Fox/9 broadcast show. She may well have gone back and reviewed that angle you're referring to multiple times

Delboy

First Grade
Not saying I disagree with your post but just on the part I've quoted, the Bunker review footage independent of what the Fox/9 broadcast show. She may well have gone back and reviewed that angle you're referring to multiple times
Then she would have seen the ball touch the line, no excuses , the video ref is paid to do the job well. Last night I was watching on a 140 inch HD screen and it was obvious. Those other decisions were poor too . She reacts rather than officiates, the injury was more important than the so called collision

hindy111

Post Whore
You’ve made that comment several times, the HOF is there to manage the cap and ensure the roster is able to be maintained at a certain level and gets paid well to do that. Losing 6/7 players on unders as you say, could be replaced by 3 decent player and some tyros. That’s what well run clubs do, we don’t.

4 spaces still free in top 30 and no bother even trying to look for a back for this season. Ridiculous.

hindy111

Post Whore

They made 15 errors lost 3 players had a bloke in bin while down by 8 points a 9-3 pe although count against them yet come back and won. They also made 8-3 line breaks.
When Lane dropped the ball on their line I called it a turning point.
Moses setting up for a 3 point lead before halftime ridiculous.Put a bomb and go for a try.
Short drop out to Crighton ridiculous
Let's kick it to their best player.

We get all the little things wrong.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
we lost, should have won, no excuses!

But gee some of gloom and doom posts makes it sound like the club is cooked for a decade......

New coach coming, one of the best performing backs coming, yeah some roster changes need, better depth....but it's not all gloomy!

Anyway here is a post from Muz on TCT, thought it was good for some perspective:

"We played absolutely atrocious in terms of holding on to the ball and executing plays close to their try line.

And we still almost won against them.

We could have easily won that game.

And we didn’t have trouble finding the try line against a team who other teams have been unable to score easily against.

It moses nailed those moments up near their try line & we held on to the ball.

We might be sitting here listening to the podcast after a relatively easy win.

We only just lost and we played awful.

Canterbury is a good side as of late.

We played poorly and they could hardly get by us.

With some improvements on holding on to the ball and completing our sets to get to the kick.

We should still beat a lot of teams this year.

Bulldogs apparently not lost one home game this year – and we had completed sets horribly and almost won.

I still think we can beat a lot of teams this year – baz will be on them to get to the kick in their sets next week.

Let’s see if that’s enough to make us at least compete with the roosters next week.

On to the next one"

Latest posts