What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd14 2024: Eels v Bulldogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium June 10th

Gazzamatta

Coach
So Gutho tells the ref at the end of the game that there was a no call on an obstruction play in their last try. Gough says well it is what it is etc. Moses questions him on the smack to the face that caused Carty to drop the ball, again nothing from the ref or bunker.

What concerned me more, the sideline camera showed reasonably clearly that Asi got the ball on the line, the video ref ( she who cannot be named) doesn’t go back to that angle, just looks at the front on that is unclear. Then the video ref calls a tackle on Asi where he just stands his ground and Preston runs into him, gets injured and she calls it back, wtf. That led to a change of possession to the Dogs and ultimately a disputed winning try.

Yep, we should have won etc etc, but some officials shouldn’t t be officials making decisions and that hasn’t changed.
Ive said it a thousand times. If "look at me" Atkins or Badger are involved expect moments of utter incompetence. I cringe when I read their names as appointments to Eels games. They are equal to or worse than Perenara ever was.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Is it ok, now, to renew my stance that Moses - while supremely talented - will never win us a damn thing?

Had Cleary been our 7, we win yesterday, no doubt.

Moses is not the guy you want to put a game to bed, tbh.

Which is bad for us, because our other half is just the same.

Last edited:
Yes, that game was there for the taking in the final 30mins - we just needed to cross one more time when we had all the momentum with us. But we fluffed it, even with our full first choice squad (bar Sivo/Simonssen) available.

I'm (naively?) hopeful our halves will find another dimension under a new coach and new/skilled assistants. They've still got the stale BA systems and tactics running through their veins, and Barrett for 3 weeks isn't enough of a change.

Gherkin

Juniors
we lost, should have won, no excuses!

But gee some of gloom and doom posts makes it sound like the club is cooked for a decade......

New coach coming, one of the best performing backs coming, yeah some roster changes need, better depth....but it's not all gloomy!

Anyway here is a post from Muz on TCT, thought it was good for some perspective:

"We played absolutely atrocious in terms of holding on to the ball and executing plays close to their try line.

And we still almost won against them.

We could have easily won that game.

And we didn’t have trouble finding the try line against a team who other teams have been unable to score easily against.

It moses nailed those moments up near their try line & we held on to the ball.

We might be sitting here listening to the podcast after a relatively easy win.

We only just lost and we played awful.

Canterbury is a good side as of late.

We played poorly and they could hardly get by us.

With some improvements on holding on to the ball and completing our sets to get to the kick.

We should still beat a lot of teams this year.

Bulldogs apparently not lost one home game this year – and we had completed sets horribly and almost won.

I still think we can beat a lot of teams this year – baz will be on them to get to the kick in their sets next week.

Let’s see if that’s enough to make us at least compete with the roosters next week.

On to the next one"
The bulldogs are not a good side, especially the lineup they rolled out yesterday. Unfortunately we’re even worse.
The fact that they’re in the 8 is a reflection on how poor the standard of the comp is. So many shit teams and we’ve only been able to muster 4 wins. Time for Cheika and to turn over some of the roster

hindy111

Post Whore
I still think now we pull the plug. Storm want forwards. Ask them if they want Jnr or Grieg.
I kind of hope Matterson is medically retired.

We lack backs but we need to move Sivo on also.

Lane is lazy but I think can be revived. RCG still offers good play.
Gutherson has 1yr left and should not be extended in my eyes.

Also try and f**k Lussick off. But he wouldn't be on big dollars so nto a huge issue.

I always felt Grieg could turn intoma good prop but he is just to slow in defense. Cut him loose.

hindy111

Post Whore
Is it ok, now, to renew my stance that Moses - while supremely talented - will never win us a an thing?

Had Cleary been our 7, we win yesterday, no doubt.

Moses is not the guy you want to put a game to bed, tbh.

Which is bad for us, because our other half is just the same.

He rarely plays a full controlled 80mins.
But there where times when we pinned them inside there 10 and 4 tackles later they where at the 40 kicking early and backing us up. While our slow forwards would take 3 tackles to get back.
I watched Penrith the day before and when they pinned Manly inside their 10 they'd get the ball back on their 30mtr line. 2 tackles later over halfway. It is our defense that is terrible. We don't bash or punish sides with it. They get quick play the balls and gas our forwards. The backs are weak and our first 3 carries are junk.
The best side in comp don't look that great to me. They just wear you out with relentless defense and kick pressure. And the back 5 just pounding away.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He rarely plays a full controlled 80mins.
But there where times when we pinned them inside there 10 and 4 tackles later they where at the 40 kicking early and backing us up. While our slow forwards would take 3 tackles to get back.
I watched Penrith the day before and when they pinned Manly inside their 10 they'd get the ball back on their 30mtr line. 2 tackles later over halfway. It is our defense that is terrible. We don't bash or punish sides with it. They get quick play the balls and gas our forwards. The backs are weak and our first 3 carries are junk.
The best side in comp don't look that great to me. They just wear you out with relentless defense and kick pressure. And the back 5 just pounding away.

Our defence is awful, no arguments there.

But with the amount of possession, and territory, we had, I'd expect our million-dollar halfback to take the game by the scruff of the neck, which he did not do.

eels_fan

First Grade
Our defence is awful, no arguments there.

But with the amount of possession, and territory, we had, I'd expect our million-dollar halfback to take the game by the scruff of the neck, which he did not do.
To be fair, our million dollar halfback is also still got plates in his foot and is on modified training and a long way from 100% despite his knock it out of the park game last week.

You could see how disappointed he was in the result and his performance in his interview with 360 last night. They asked him about origin and he just ignored them and spoke about how he should have been better.

There are two schools of thought,
1) BA wanted to fill the roster and the R&R team knocked that on the head to keep some positions and cash free for early season injuries

2) The R&R committee wanted to fill the roster but BA wanted to keep some positions and cash free for early season injuries.

Either way, can people with knowledge of the situation tell me, who were the centres and wingers we were targeting.

Also while listening to the game on Sports Ears, Vossey said that Wiremu was suffereing from a Broken foot for a few weeks. Which news to me as he was playing NSWCup for the last 5 weeks. Did anyone else hear that ?

jason taylor

Bench
To be fair, our million dollar halfback is also still got plates in his foot and is on modified training and a long way from 100% despite his knock it out of the park game last week.

You could see how disappointed he was in the result and his performance in his interview with 360 last night. They asked him about origin and he just ignored them and spoke about how he should have been better.
Yet I bet you he won’t rule himself out of contention for Origin 2

Avenger

Immortal
There are two schools of thought,
1) BA wanted to fill the roster and the R&R team knocked that on the head to keep some positions and cash free for early season injuries

2) The R&R committee wanted to fill the roster but BA wanted to keep some positions and cash free for early season injuries.

Either way, can people with knowledge of the situation tell me, who were the centres and wingers we were targeting.
There are still 3 or 4 positions left on the roster. If the club don’t fill them they should at least make a public announcement that this season is gone.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
There are still 3 or 4 positions left on the roster. If the club don’t fill them they should at least make a public announcement that this season is gone.
A public announcement from the club that the season is gone? Now I can see you have been busy today but why the f**k would they do that?

Chipmunk

Coach
I suggest if they don't bother filling them then that is their public announcement.

If we have cap space this season, and can move money into this year, I think we're better off adjusting contracts so that we can get money back from future years.

Delboy

First Grade
Let’s be honest, if the R&R team haven’t been working their nuts off to add to the roster for next year then basically they should be moved on asap.

Signing one player then doing not a lot, seems typical behaviour given the last 3 years or so under their control, just not good enough, really completely unacceptable. The big fan base, and other financial considerations seem unable to be used by the current team to attract close to elite players. Don’t come up with the salary cap limitations, it’s their job to keep that under control and ensure they can keep the club competitive, as accountants they strangely lean on cap control as an issue not something they should control better than most.

Yes I would say 3 with Boods and Guymer being extended or moved up to the top 30 list.
But again we have to have 30 players in our squad by the end of the month.

I suggest if they don't bother filling them then that is their public announcement.

If we have cap space this season, and can move money into this year, I think we're better off adjusting contracts so that we can get money back from future years.
The Problem now comes in that we don't have a coach for next year and as such we can't offer anything but a 3 month deal.

Let’s be honest, if the R&R team haven’t been working their nuts off to add to the roster for next year then basically they should be moved on asap.

Signing one player then doing not a lot, seems typical behaviour given the last 3 years or so under their control, just not good enough, really completely unacceptable. The big fan base, and other financial considerations seem unable to be used by the current team to attract close to elite players. Don’t come up with the salary cap limitations, it’s their job to keep that under control and ensure they can keep the club competitive, as accountants they strangely lean on cap control as an issue not something they should control better than most.

So again mate, your saying BA wanted to sign a bunch of players, and got over rulled by the R&R team.

So who were those players?

JokerEel

Coach

But we got all the penalties...

Why did the ref go back to a play the ball when Burton gave away the penalty so he could challenge?