What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rd14 v Manly

Pomoz

Bench
The try at the end, Cartwright to Blake to DZW was just poetry. You cannot coach somebody to pass like that. No credit for Griffin for the skill, but credit for giving the team license to throw it around in the second half and play what was in front of them. Cartwright held the ball up like a waitress serving a tray of drinks, "when you are ready me old mate Blakey, here's a pass for you to break the line, take your time, I have it covered". It was like he just hit pause on his Foxtel HD box and boom, Blakey was off at the races. Timing like Robin Williams at Carnegie Hall. Butler never saw it coming.

Pomoz

Bench
We should have put Sea Eagles away with a flogging doing 80 minutes of carving up. Not just 20. Yes its impressive to come back. But really we should have won vy 20+ points and never questioned anything. We were pure shit. Manly just turned to shit and choked .

No fun in that. I'd much rather have some drama. Oh and Manly didn't turn to shit. The Panthers just started playing to the level they are capable of.

murraymob

Coach
We should have put Sea Eagles away with a flogging doing 80 minutes of carving up. Not just 20. Yes its impressive to come back. But really we should have won vy 20+ points and never questioned anything. We were pure shit. Manly just turned to shit and choked .

are you ever happy

age.s

First Grade
The try at the end, Cartwright to Blake to DZW was just poetry. You cannot coach somebody to pass like that. No credit for Griffin for the skill, but credit for giving the team license to throw it around in the second half and play what was in front of them. Cartwright held the ball up like a waitress serving a tray of drinks, "when you are ready me old mate Blakey, here's a pass for you to break the line, take your time, I have it covered". It was like he just hit pause on his Foxtel HD box and boom, Blakey was off at the races. Timing like Robin Williams at Carnegie Hall. Butler never saw it coming.

There were a few good ones. Moylan putting Peachey away and Wal backing him up in support was pretty great as well.

TheFrog

Coach
Fox sports talking after the game about Moylan playing 5/8 for NSW

That's Moylan at 6 and Maloney at 7 I presume.

They'd need some serious defensive help I'd suggest. Reynolds looked a bit lame the other night.

It would be a panic move after losing game 1 by 2 points. A way of bringing in Tedesco without having to drop Moylan. They need to stick to the original game plan.

forby

Juniors
Don't forget Manly had >60% of the ball in the first 50 mins. It completely turned around when Penrith got more possession after that. There were some strange decisions in the lead up to a couple of their tries as well.
Any team that can come back from 20 points down deserves credit. Imagine the headlines if it was Brisbane or Melbourne that did it!
While the first half wasn't good, but we need to celebrate this one, not keep knocking them down.

tripster

Juniors
Did anybody see the smirk on John Cartwrights face when Barrett had his meltdown?

Yes, totally saw that and was thinking the same thing! I guess Cartwright, after coaching the junior leagues of the Panthers for a number of years before going to the Gold Coast, knew not to be surprised that we were a team that could pull a rabbit out of its hat!

tripster

Juniors
This performance is a negative for Griffin not a positive, the way we started is simply not good enough

I nearly turned the TV off I was so pissed off with how we played in the first half (I felt it was our worst half of the season) but after having thought about it - and not trying to make excuses - I do think it was also one of those halves where nothing went our way.

We had a number of 50/50 refereeing decisions that went against us, and that, with a few other moments of bad luck, combined to almost completely deprive us of possession. There were two completely flukey Manly tries for example.

We also went into half time having made ~200 tackles to Manly's ~90, having only made 3 more mistakes than Manly.

I doubt, Griffin or not, there will be another half this season where a similar conflation of factors combine to deny us of possession like that.

BxTom

Bench
I nearly turned the TV off I was so pissed off with how we played in the first half (I felt it was our worst half of the season) but after having thought about it - and not trying to make excuses - I do think it was also one of those halves where nothing went our way.

We had a number of 50/50 refereeing decisions that went against us, and that, with a few other moments of bad luck, combined to almost completely deprive us of possession. There were two completely flukey Manly tries for example.

We also went into half time having made ~200 tackles to Manly's ~90, having only made 3 more mistakes than Manly.

I doubt, Griffin or not, there will be another half this season where a similar conflation of factors combine to deny us of possession like that.

Griffin was replaced at half time because he dropped the ball, passed the ball to the other team within 10 metres of the line, was guilty of a forward pass, gave away silly penalties and generally played very poorly. His game plan of dropping the ball, passing the ball to the other team within 10 metres of the line, forward passes, and giving away silly penalties was also criticised. :roll:

After the game, Gould said that Griffin would no longer be a player/manager. He will now only be a coach...

Tom.

SweetandSoward

Juniors
I remembered hearing Gus saying he won't commentate Penrith Games after he became General Manager,
So it was weird seeing him there today.

It's weird seeing any GM commentation on there team currently playing.
I don't think that should happen.
Its weird

SweetandSoward

Juniors
How about Soward at fullback and Moylan at five eighth

I remembered he did that at the dragons once,
he went to fullback and josh drinkwater went in the halves

Blues Riff

Bench
I'm just glad I follow a team that doesn't give up. Unlike some of the pea-hearted Penrith fans in the game day thread, they realise they have the talent and the game goes for 80 minutes. If you want predictability, support the Storm or AFL.

Karnivayne

Juniors
After an awful display for 40mins a lot of people would have found it hard to be upbeat and definitely had a right be critical of the team.

betcats

Referee
Cleary was very good, it makes a big difference having two halves that are willing to take on the line. Leota was pretty solid in his stint and Akioula was good too. Pretty f**ked game all up but the last quatre was good.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Griffin was replaced at half time because he dropped the ball, passed the ball to the other team within 10 metres of the line, was guilty of a forward pass, gave away silly penalties and generally played very poorly. His game plan of dropping the ball, passing the ball to the other team within 10 metres of the line, forward passes, and giving away silly penalties was also criticised. :roll:

After the game, Gould said that Griffin would no longer be a player/manager. He will now only be a coach...

Tom.

I disagree with this Tom, the way a team performs for the most part is a reflection on how the coach has prepared them and got them motivated to play. So when they are out there giving away silly penalties and generally playing very poorly, the coach has to accept some responsibility for that.

On the flip side, I am happy with the win and happy with the come back but the simple fact is we should never have been in the situation in the first place to be down by 20 points playing Manly without DCE, Lyons, Matai and losing Nate Myles for the most part of the game. The best part of the game for me was seeing Nathan Cleary performing in such a manner considering he is 18 years old in his second NRL game.