What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rd14 v Manly

BxTom

Bench
I disagree with this Tom, the way a team performs for the most part is a reflection on how the coach has prepared them and got them motivated to play. So when they are out there giving away silly penalties and generally playing very poorly, the coach has to accept some responsibility for that.

On the flip side, I am happy with the win and happy with the come back but the simple fact is we should never have been in the situation in the first place to be down by 20 points playing Manly without DCE, Lyons, Matai and losing Nate Myles for the most part of the game. The best part of the game for me was seeing Nathan Cleary performing in such a manner considering he is 18 years old in his second NRL game.

Yes. the coach can prepare and motivate a team. A coach is also responsible for the game plan. But he cannot play for them. Was it Griffin that dropped the ball? Was it Griffin that gave Manly the ball 10 metres from our line? Was it Griffin laying all over the players? Were these the things that Griffin had in the game plan (other than perhaps slowing the play the ball down)? I don't think so.

My original post was a little tongue in cheek as a response to the people blaming him and calling for him to be sacked. These are largely the same posters that want new players every time we lose and then complain that we don't give our juniors a chance. Get a grip.

Tom.

TheFrog

Coach
Wallace was immense. He is playing career best footy at the moment.

The NRL site shows him with 23 tackles (3 misses) which is about half his usual number. I don't believe it, he seemed to be doing as much tackling as any other week.

chrisD

Coach
Wallace is great distribution from DH with rarely a wrong decision, good kicking game out of there, solid defence and a non-threatening near non existent running game. He also backed up pretty well today.

Whoever is next in line is injured aren't they? If they're fit we should be looking to have them in the side before the end of the season, spelling Wallace off the bench.

maple_69

Bench
Agree Wallace is in great form and seems the obvious choice to run at hooker for the next year and a half. We definitely need to get Katoa or Luke some game time though to start preparing for them to take over full time maybe some time next year but definitely in 2018.

martielang

Bench
I disagree with this Tom, the way a team performs for the most part is a reflection on how the coach has prepared them and got them motivated to play. So when they are out there giving away silly penalties and generally playing very poorly, the coach has to accept some responsibility for that.

Absolutely he has to take some responsibility for that, but at the same time he should get credit for motivating the guys in the second half and clearly tweaking our attack so we went forward before we went sideways.... But he'll never get credit for that, nor will he ever get credit for anything from some, unless we win the comp undefeated.

He's not the greatest coach in the world but from day 1 he's been made the scapegoat because people base his whole ability on his stint with the Broncos, not what he's doing at our club.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Agree Wallace is in great form and seems the obvious choice to run at hooker for the next year and a half. We definitely need to get Katoa or Luke some game time though to start preparing for them to take over full time maybe some time next year but definitely in 2018.

Well I don't know about a year and a half, but I think he should get the gig next game. Certainly some planning for the position is completely in order though.

GongPanther

Referee
I remembered hearing Gus saying he won't commentate Penrith Games after he became General Manager,
So it was weird seeing him there today.

It's weird seeing any GM commentation on there team currently playing.
I don't think that should happen.
Its weird

No bias in his commentary,as he did lay into the Panthers when it was appropriate.

Simply put our attack was awful under Cleary (still shit now). 2014 was a very weak comp looking back at it, the Bulldogs were crap and made the GF

ACTPanthers

Bench
As with most, I was almost done at half time... That was an absolute abomination of an attempt at FG footy - 2nd half...? Well, that was another story altogether - I'm not a Griffin fan by any stretch, but whatever he said to the boys in them dulcet tones of his, REALLY worked wonders - Came out with fire and determination - Great comeback, great win.

Copperhead

Juniors
As with most, I was almost done at half time... That was an absolute abomination of an attempt at FG footy -

I had no problem watching it. Went through the preconditioning process with Saturdays ISP stream. If you could make it through that, you can make it through anything.

Black Magik

Juniors
I had no problem watching it. Went through the preconditioning process with Saturdays ISP stream. If you could make it through that, you can make it through anything.
Exactly my thoughts. I got up at half time, grabbed a drink, sat down and thought "the reserves did exactly this and they had a late flurry. It will happen for FG...it's just a matter of when"

Saw another Manly try that tested my faith but then it started to change.

MrBlack

Juniors
The team we played against Manly would have to be one of the youngest teams we have fielded in some time??

It was good to see guys like Cleary and Cartwright play their natural game. Sometimes I think that when established playmakers like Soward are there the younger players may feel intimidated and restricted and play a bit more reserved.

Clearly showed that he can step up, but will he do it when sharing the halves with Soward??

betcats

Referee
Cleary was outstanding. Defensively very solid, he kicked well for the most part and he came up with some big plays and ran for over 100m. The try was great obviously but I think the most impressive thing he did was after the Wallace try we had a nice clearing set which was finished off with a great Cleary kick and chase by cleary where he found grass and made a one on one tackle to pin Brett Stewart literally on his line. It was the type of play you would expect from someone like JT or Cronk in that period of the game.

Latest posts