What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

the phantom menace

First Grade
But... are you happy or satisfied with the level of commitment being shown, and evidence of any improvement in our performances against finals teams that aren't Penrith or Melbourne?

the phantom menace

First Grade
I don't think this team cares too much about winning the games they're expected to win. They are by definition nothing games. They are looking toward the finals, and the big fish along the way.
Yes, but is that good enough? They've been "looking toward the finals" in previous seasons, and unless we come up against the two big fish teams we seem to be able to compete against (which together can only account for three of the finals weeks) in the right order, then we're finals fodder again.

IFR33K

Coach
Hell no, but as long as we make the top 8 we are a chance to take it out.
But neither Penrith or Melbourne are certainties either. At least not in July.

I love your optimism but we have sweet f all. We’re even out of secret moves.

emjaycee

Coach
But... are you happy or satisfied with the level of commitment being shown, and evidence of any improvement in our performances against finals teams that aren't Penrith or Melbourne?
Mate, I am never happy when we don't win, even against Melbourne and Penrith.
And I am not often satisfied with the level of commitment we show across the whole 80 minutes of any game.

I just don't get the level of angst that people show against the team and the coaching staff and the club, when at the end of each year there is only ever one team that wins it and whoever that team is they have managed to do two things. 1. win at least more games than 8 other teams to make the semis and 2. be good enough in the semis to win the big dance at the end.
So far in 2022 we are winning more games than 12 other teams so we are on track for the first part of what we need to do.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Mate, I am never happy when we don't win, even against Melbourne and Penrith.
And I am not often satisfied with the level of commitment we show across the whole 80 minutes of any game.
Fair enough.
I just don't get the level of angst that people show against the team and the coaching staff and the club, when at the end of each year there is only ever one team that wins it and whoever that team is they have managed to do two things. 1. win at least more games than 8 other teams to make the semis and 2. be good enough in the semis to win the big dance at the end.
So far in 2022 we are winning more games than 12 other teams so we are on track for the first part of what we need to do.
I don't see it as angst - at least I don't feel angst - but more just a(n understandable) lack of confidence, given the quality and consistency of performances during the regular season rounds?

Sure, only 8 teams make the finals, and 2 teams make the grand final - and we're (currently) in the 8, with a "chance" of being one of the two teams to play for a trophy. But apart from pumped up wins over/performances against Panthers and Storm when we meet them, there's sadly not a lot (and maybe a bit less than previous years?) inspiring about our performances this season... hence the fan angst/judgment about how we (and the coach) are travelling.

Wally21

Bench
Cordner also missed his fair share of games.

I think captaincy is about having the right personality, and leadership - Matterson is well-spoken, always one of our better players, and has Finals, and Origin, experience.

Gutherson is not a leader.
I certainly agree with you Eele that Gutho shouldn’t be our leader. And Barlore is not a leader in any persons language. I don’t believe Matto is either however.
I actually don’t believe we have a leader in our club. It’s why we can’t close out the games we should and lose the games we should win.
As I think Avenger said, I would go after Tapine. Leads by example and hates losing. That’s the leader that Gutho was.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I also am puzzled by his dumping of Brown; though he is out of form, his playstyle is the living embodiment of chasing the collision.

I don't understand why he gets dropped, but players with poor attitudes like Kaufusi, and Lane, get to keep their jobs.

Not many players have been in great form, so dropping Brown for performance issues seems harsh.

Attitude-wise, Brown has always given 100% - he never shirks tough work, and gives his all.

If the demotion was to make a statement, I believe the wrong player was chosen to do that.
I'm certain he was dropped to force him out of the club. We need cap space, no different from any other club who forces players out while under contract. But they have to want to leave and that means showing them they aren't needed.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm certain he was dropped to force him out of the club. We need cap space, no different from any other club who forces players out while under contract. But they have to want to leave and that means showing them they aren't needed.
Brown was routinely bagged on here for stifling our attack and lacking the skill of some of our other backrowers but now there is criticism when he is shown the door. Merkins seem to expect us to be able to keep everyone.

lucablight

First Grade
Of course it goes in our favour. How else did we beat Penrith and Melbourne ffs?
Exactly. By not making Week 3 of the finals/grand finals since 2009 we are defying variance. An NRL side is also statistically more likely not to get the spoon than to get it yet we managed to do it anyway. Your talk about needing luck in the finals is fine when you’re talking about variance. However, when you start defying variance then you have to wonder if there are other factors in play. You don’t just get to hand wave away the lack of finals success and say oh but there’s luck involved if you’re not sometimes hitting that lucky turn. That means you’re either extremely unlucky or you’re doing something wrong.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Exactly. By not making Week 3 of the finals/grand finals since 2009 we are defying variance. An NRL side is also statistically more likely not to get the spoon than to get it yet we managed to do it anyway. Your talk about needing luck in the finals is fine when you’re talking about variance. However, when you start defying variance then you have to wonder if there are other factors in play. You don’t just get to hand wave away the lack of finals success and say oh but there’s luck involved if you’re not sometimes hitting that lucky turn. That means you’re either extremely unlucky or you’re doing something wrong.
Haven't we been through this shit before and looked at whether we were favourites in each of the finals losses? The only one that we've lost where we were favourites was the game against the Cows in 2017.

I felt we were a big chance against Souths in 2020 even though they were favourites and was disappointed with how we finished that game. The Mennings drama on the morning of the game was f**ken bullshit and should never have happened.

Latest posts