What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd22 Parra v Manly GAME DAY THREAD @ Sunshine Coast Stadium 14/8/21

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Since last season me and friends have said Parra need speed in the backline. I harp on about it on here also.
Why did we go out and re-sign Sivo and Opacic? The coach had plenty of time to work out you need speed more now as Pou suggests. He is probably right that you can not hide slow players as easily now but I also call bullshit on this cause Speed in the NRL has always been important. Its why Slater,JAC,Vunavalu made the Storm so potent. A quick back 3.
Well we do have Blake and Ferguson in our top 17 who are fast. And the top sides all have some relatively slow merkins in their outside backs: Gennings, To'o, Mansour, Parker, Ikuvalu. It's not a massive problem if you can control the ball, which requires a solid kicking game and middle defence (and handling, obviously). Our problem is our handling, and recently, our middle defence.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd ask why it took him so long.

He likes him as a fullback. He said this numerous times if he is to make it then that is where. Id suggest he has blooded him knowing they'll steam roll everyone anyhows. Bot now getting to the business end he brings his strongest 17 in.. Staines will convert to a fullback soon and atleast when does has had 20 games in the NRL.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Have to agree. Some of his "chases" after a kick was put in were disgraceful. He is lazy and has zero footy IQ.

Why the f**k was he re-signed? Same with Nathan Brown!
Sivo was re-signed after being the hero against Melbourne earlier this year. With Nrown, he was announced a few days after we belted the Roosters. We were flying.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well we do have Blake and Ferguson in our top 17 who are fast. And the top sides all have some relatively slow merkins in their outside backs: Gennings, To'o, Mansour, Parker, Ikuvalu. It's not a massive problem if you can control the ball, which requires a solid kicking game and middle defence (and handling, obviously). Our problem is our handling, and recently, our middle defence.

Also acceleration. Fergonis fast but slow to get going. However he will chase which is good. Same as Blake.
Sivo just stops. Once defender goes around him he doesn't worry about what may happen. Like a pass that goes behind the intended person. He could be there to pick it up. He just gives up. Has no balls or heart. Half his runs are also soft. Does a few good carries then 5 soft ones.

hindy111

Post Whore
Sivo was re-signed after being the hero against Melbourne earlier this year. With Nrown, he was announced a few days after we belted the Roosters. We were flying.

So you base a 2 yr contract on one game? Sivo was garbage last season. Many on here called it. He has had about 6 -7 good games this season. The rest rubbish.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My thoughts, a bit cloudy this morning as the fridge is a tad emptier than it was at kick off.

I don't think Arthurs has "lost the dressing room", this rot started pretty much with the move to Queensland, sure we beat the Titans first week, but since then we've really played poorly. A bloke who's been coach for eight years, has the squad up for so much of the season, with much of the same squad, and importantly the leadership group, doesn't just lose the dressing room over the course of four weeks.

That happens over time, where's the rumblings from the players through the season? If they were there, remembering this is Parra, they'd have been in the press, yet nothing.

Rather I think we've failed to adapt to the change, whether it be adjusting to living away, playing in warmer conditions with faster tracks week in week out, or whatever else it is, and that's exacerbated the issues that were already there, the lack of speed, no consistency in our outside backs, and the general lack of fluidity in our attack.

Chuck on the resulting form loss, the pressures that come along with that, and we get last night, players going through the motions with out their head being in the game. Basically we're f**king cooked at the moment, and it's gonna take some kind of massive effort to turn that around in the short space of time we have.

Before any merkin comes back with "but other teams are dealing with it ", don't f**king bother, that's obvious, fact is some will deal with it better than others. That's life. Some clubs will handle the whole thing better, right across the board, not just the players, but the associated staff as well.

Anyways just my thoughts, could be way off, by I don't think I am. Why we haven't handled it better, I don't know.
Good post. Merkins are looking for a simple cause because they want a simple solution ("sAcK tHe CoAcH!!") but the fact is things are always complicated and our recent form is baffling to everyone except the people who already had a preloaded scapegoat. Even the media pundits can't agree on what's gone wrong. Sometimes it just happens. Wayne Bennett's long history proves that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sivo is one of the laziest Parra players to ever pull on a boot, and he’s never been dropped. Ever!!

No accountability whatsoever at this club, the standards are embarrassing. The press conference said it all, he shuffles on in unshaven, unkept looking like a homeless bum off the street with absolutely no answers at all. It’s all absolutely pitiful, if the club don’t part ways with him ASAP they should go as well.
He might've converted to Islam and that's the start of his beard?

Chipmunk

Coach
3 weeks with the early plea for Matto

The entire starting 13 should be given 3 weeks off... We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Set the team for week one of the finals and give the reggies some game time to show what they may or may not have.

In the meantime we have over 3 weeks to get our shit sorted out behind the scenes without embarrasing ourselves on a football field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Its been proven yet again that our style of play is not sustainable.
We've made too many runs, have we? We are leading the comp in those. Maybe we should've made more tackles? We are mid-table for that category. Our blokes have been avoiding the collision.

hindy111

Post Whore
Good post. Merkins are looking for a simple cause because they want a simple solution ("sAcK tHe CoAcH!!") but the fact is things are always complicated and our recent form is baffling to everyone except the people who already had a preloaded scapegoat. Even the media pundits can't agree on what's gone wrong. Sometimes it just happens. Wayne Bennett's long history proves that.

It would be different if he has proven himself . Many times we have made finals or like 2014 had big games and failed. Bennett has runs on board so fans have faith.
And it isn't like we've not given BA a good run. He has had 8 yrs. That's a fair go. Unless he had plans and showed some direction why keep him?
Team list this week is interesting. You surely agree there needs to be a shake up. And I am not talking a 30yld bum replacing a 22yld kid.
I've posted what kind of side he needs to run out with. It maybe worse. But it could also unlock something. Repeating the same thing every week is going to give us the same results

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The issues only surfaced once a certain backup half was picked out of his depth. And that halfback was the coaches son. You cant tell me there would be frustration running out with someone who is clearly not ready or good enough when there were better options to get us through that fortnight.

Its only human nature to be pissed off even if they won't admit it publically as there not going to front the coach and say your son is useless and shouldnt be playing.

BA dug his own grave 3 games was enough this year for JA to learn get stronger over the offseason and another 12 months of football will be better player. Instead throw him to the wolves with a top 4 spot on the lins

Hindsight is a wonderful thing we win those 2 games against the raiders and roosters our confidence isnt gone and we may not be in the mess right now.
You are just speculating. You have no idea if any of that is true. The players appeared happy for Jake Arthur and for the coach. That is a fact we saw. All this other shit you've spouted is speculation with no evidence to back it up.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but there is no evidence for it. At least stick to the observable facts.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
One thing with BA is he has done good for our side. Got us through a lot of tough times. I think he would be good to hold onto in a different role. Perhaps junior development and over see coaching for all lower grades. In general he has always made good signings and retained and let go the right players.
Tactically just maybebout of his depth. He has us trying to emulate the Storm from 12yrs ago and the game has changed.
He completely changed our structure after 2018. Don't pretend we've played the same style the entire time he's been coach. It's flat out wrong.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think hes worth a shot. Hes the Pennys D Coach and they have absolutely transformed their D. Hed be my man. Dont forget he had the Pennys head coach gig after Griffin got bumped until Cleary came back.
We need to get their attack coach. It worked for the Dogs.

hindy111

Post Whore
We need to get their attack coach. It worked for the Dogs.

But you said our attack is fine and it's our defense that's the problem. No energy when get the ball.

Or has the game changed since you posted that 12hrs ago? Are fast wingers still in need or has this also changed?

IFR33K

Coach
There's not true at all. In 2017 we put fifty on his team two weeks out from the finals and derailed their season. But even worse, in 2003 the Broncos lost their last seven games of the regular season and then we're knocked out in the first week of the finals. Are you saying it's Bennett's fault?

As shown by Bennett's example, sometimes there are no answers until the off season. Whether we sack Arthur's or not, were going to have to be patient. There are no quick fixes in life, unless you count quickly fixing a bunch of pissy, vindictive fans by sacking a coach. It might happen but I doubt it'll happen before the finals.

F^*king clutching at straws. You’re one dopey moron.

IFR33K

Coach
You're fixating on one result. Souths conceded fifty twice this year. It doesn't say anything about their recruiting or their coaching.

That said, there is definitely a leadership failure in our team recently, and the coach is part of that, as he was in 2018. Can he dig us out of it? He's done it before, but I also think he won't get the chance. Gutherson needs to go, and his relationship with the coach makes Arthur's position difficult to justify.

When’s he done it before? The awesome finish to 2017, 2018, 2019 or 2020? He’s been here 8 years and surely the board has lost faith. Quite possibly some of the players too. Look at our for and Against the past few weeks. Worst in the Comp. Our for and against is almost as funny as you, you moron.

Latest posts