What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd22: Parra v South’s GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 12/8/22

Bandwagon

Staff member
I reckon much of the solution is we need to be prepared to risk giving away more penalties, particularly when defending our line. As @strider mentioned way back in the thread, we got a penalty in attack for off side and when questioned Atkins said that's two tackles in a row, in other words he let them get away with being offside until an error forced him to call it.

That's because they jump the gun near every tackle ( as does every other team ) and the refs aren't gonna "spoil the game" by continuously blowing the whistle.

The result is we get no time, Souths are up in our face and their goal line defence looks f**king awesome, whereas we aren't doing that deliberately ( at least not consistently enough ), Souths get plenty of time and their attack looks awesome, whilst our defence looks even poorer than it is.

When merkins like Slater and Smith are criticizing the coaching as stale and old fashioned, you can bet your sweet arse their also seeing how we have adjusted to the rules, rather than adjusting to the refereeing and the way the rules are being adjudicated in game.

eel01s

Bench
Just watched the game now. FFS!

Mahoney the handbrake in attack - constantly going the wrong way or trying a crash play. Brown was hopeless too. Too many cross field kicks when we need to set up for a spread to the left.

At 14 nil down I thought we could come back. But we lost any hope by not being able to score early in the second half. We applied zero pressure and never looked like scoring until Opacic's forward pass.

What a pissweak performance in the first half! Only for Mahoney to pass the ball to a Souths player at the death!!!

yy_cheng

Coach
The thing that’s frustrating for me is that everyone knew what Souths were going to try and do. This has been going on for the past 3 seasons now. The coach has demonstrated he doesn’t have a solution on how to fix the problem posed by Souths. I remember in 2009 Eric Grothe Jr kept coming off his wing and letting in tries but by the end of the season the coaching staff had found a new defensive structure to minimise that weakness. That’s what good coaches should be doing. To not half an answer after 3 seasons is incredibly disappointing. Making mistakes can be forgiven. It’s when you refuse to learn from them that you have to ask how much more you can take?

To be fair he did lose his defensive coach

King-Gutho94

Coach
Having slept on it the result really flattered us. We are lucky souths only got to 26 they probably should have put 40 on us we were that bad.

I believe this souths issue we have is now just as much mental and psychological as it is gameplan.

Every player talked this week in the media how they are sick of losing to souths and instead of running out with fire in the belly we run out & looked beaten the moment Dylan Brown knocked on after 4 min.

Everyone talks about edges against souths but in reality it's the middle third gets slaughtered.

Cook, Murray and to a certain extent Latrell just murder us through the ruck. Cook's ability to change angles with speed around the PTB just rips apart our whole structure so when we are on the back foot our edges are compressed worried about the space cook is creating around the ruck with the angle running.

Case in point the angles used helped Latrell make 2 LBs in first 15-20 mins in the middle.

I think that's where souths get the forward dominance because we are also very displinced by not slowing the PTB down and risking giving away penalties or 6 agains. Cook every time just feasts on it then we get destroyed in the middle and then get finished off out wide.

Eelementary

Post Whore
"We didn't turn up to play tonight".....

He really said that?

Damn...

This is the 5th time this year, by my count...

If the team can't be bothered to turn up, in front of a parochial home crowd, motivated to beat a team we haven't beaten in ages...

The side has some serious psychological barriers, imo.

And they seem to believe their own hype a little too much - have a good game, and half our spine suddenly thinks they're worth big money...

King-Gutho94

Coach
My thoughts on the attack it was garbage. Who on earth gave mahoney full control inside our 10-20m zone is an idiot. He can't get to belmore quick enough as far as I am concerned.

This crash play rubbish has worked I reckon 3 times out of a 100 all year it's out of date.

Dylan Brown didn't recover from the early drop ball. Instead we gave the kicking to JA who gave away two 20m restarts in the first 20 mins to compound our losing territory battle.

This box kick game plan needs to f... off against souths.

Keep Latrell away from the kick returns find touch and slow the game down against souths. Our Plan A doesn’t work time to find a plan B.

Papali'i played like a man distracted so make a decision this week so everyone can get on with it.

King-Gutho94

Coach
"We didn't turn up to play tonight".....

He really said that?

Damn...

This is the 5th time this year, by my count...

If the team can't be bothered to turn up, in front of a parochial home crowd, motivated to beat a team we haven't beaten in ages...

The side has some serious psychological barriers, imo.

And they seem to believe their own hype a little too much - have a good game, and half our spine suddenly thinks they're worth big money...
Yep they don't have it mentally.

If it only takes them every time to have a good performance after getting bashed in the media it shows there is a weakness.

Last week even there was doubts and criticism on JA selection so they focused and knuckled down.

This week crickets and look at the intensity they brought.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Reporters have to go in hard. Ask them questions for 45 minutes if they have to. The performances and the answers are just not good enough any more.
I didn't watch the presser as it just dribble.

Do you know who was asking the questions.

I know Danika Mason and Lara Pitt were on the sideline tonight but not sure if they go to the presser and didn't see any of the grubby journos like fruitloop hooper who is normally lurking around.