What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd7 2024: 8pm Eels v Dolphins GAME DAY THREAD @ Tio Stadium Darwin April 19th

yy_cheng

Coach
I think it was widely agreed that the players who left the squad after season 2022 were not replaced like for like with the same quality.

I'd say that's part of the answer of what has changed.
wasnt that because we were relyuing polishing?

Murchies is gone and that newcastle player too and another top 30 went to england

JokerEel

Coach
wasnt that because we were relyuing polishing?

Murchies is gone and that newcastle player too and another top 30 went to england

We have to stop trying to sign cheapies and polishing them instead develop our own players and buy cheap players as fill ins only.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think we can turn it around, but too many questions marks if we are able. Coming into a hard part of the draw

Most recent years we have had a few shockers, but turned it around (except 18)

Having 3 shockers in the first 7 rounds ain't good, but will be forgotten if we go on a roll and establish ourselves in the top 4 in a couple of months (laughable at this stage)

Quietly, we can beat Manly, going into the bye..

Think we need to throw a carrot out to Bennett, huge loss to Manly then throw the kitchen sink at him

King-Gutho94

Coach
Quietly, we can beat Manly, going into the bye..
I find an angle every week to try and believe we could win any given game

I cant find one this week atm its lambs to the slaughter at the Asbestos Village.

The only way i can see we might win is if BA tells the group mid-week he is going with the bye the week after and its a farewell game. Teams tend to lift when the coach is going.

We did it for Steve Kearney ffs with a wooden spoon rabble when we beat a star-studded Melbourne side in 2012 at home who went onto win the comp and didnt lose another game while we won the spoon.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I find an angle every week to try and believe we could win any given game

I cant find one this week atm its lambs to the slaughter at the Asbestos Village.

The only way i can see we might win is if BA tells the group mid-week he is going with the bye the week after and its a farewell game. Teams tend to lift when the coach is going.

We did it for Steve Kearney ffs with a wooden spoon rabble when we beat a star-studded Melbourne side in 2012 at home who went onto win the comp and didnt lose another game while we won the spoon.

There's been quite a few times where we were supposed to get thrashed in an up coming game, but won it

Melbourne going for 20 wins in a row couple of years back, think we were 10/1 to win that game. (Lussick had a great game )

But yeah, admittedly this year, so far, feels very different (for the worse). We hold our breath..

Gazzamatta

Coach
The issue remains KG that an improved effort this Friday will soon after be followed by another capitulation. BAs style is not sustainable.
Our start V The Cows was disgraceful. We somehow found a way back but look at what The Cows are dishing up. Fleeting glimpses of hope. Its been that way for a very long time.

Maybe BA and his Assistants could try that last resort strategy where they say they're sick of the poor effort and after selecting the squad just take a week off, and leave the coaching and game day entirely up to the players.

If it doesn't work and they get flogged again then maybe they listen to you more the following game. But the players lift and get the win in that scenario, the coach has proved he's the weakest link and likely gets booted shortly after.