What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd8: Eels v Dogs GAME DAY THREAD @ Stadium Australia 1/5/21

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cleary still has the better running game.

I reckon a big reason why the pass isn't on is because the defence is jamming as soon as Drown has the ball. They are giving no room to him nor his edge back rower and are happy for him to take a nothing hitup. Drown only seems to have a short ball which he likes to give to his edge back rower but oppositions are prepared for it (they jam in). Teams know that he can't throw a long money ball left to right with any confidence or consistency so they compress on him. This is why he doesn't have 1 LBA in 7 games of football.
I think there's something else going on this year, because all his stats are down. Our right side is our setup side, where we lay the long shift left.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I reckon Brown's running game is overated. He runs a lot (averages 106m a game) but rarely breaks the line. He just takes hitups.

Nathan Cleary actually averages 111m a game. Has twice as many line breaks as Brown too. His running game is better.

Clearly has also been in First Grade for five years.

He's only making 5m more per game, with two years' extra experience under his belt.

I'm not denying that Brown has plenty to work on, but he is far from the lost cause many of you are making him out to be.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I just don’t know how you argue Brown has a better running game than Cleary?

Given the stats you supplied, I will concede that Cleary is a better ball-runner - I didn't realise he ran as much as he does.

There's no argument that Brown needs improvement, but he's a great defender, and a decent runner of the ball.

His passing, and kicking games, need work, but time is on his side.

lingard

Coach
I must be the only one who thought we played pretty good. I think they realised early that it was going to be a cake walk so the teams intensity dropped. The key players look good Guth, Moses, Mahoney. Paulo got some rest. Hopefully Waqa comes into this team and adds some spark from centre.

I agree with all of that except Waqa coming back into the team. I hope he doesn't.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Even though we almost caught out with the quick dropout, how good was Marata’s f**k you after Seeyoumanafunguy’s hit on Lane

I didn't understand that from the dogs. They went for the quick drop out but aimed it straight down the middle. Surely you aim it for the sideline or go short?

hindy111

Post Whore
Given the stats you supplied, I will concede that Cleary is a better ball-runner - I didn't realise he ran as much as he does.

There's no argument that Brown needs improvement, but he's a great defender, and a decent runner of the ball.

His passing, and kicking games, need work, but time is on his side.

Cleary is the best half in game and pulling away. BROWN doesn't need to be that good.
As I said earlier he doesn't get many chances to shine with Moses and Gutherson getting the ball at key moments. Now add Bryce to the mix.
So when will D.Brown get the ball? If it's not when we've bent the line or made the defense retreat or our main attacking play in the set than there is little he can do. And to be fair to him 95% of time Moses or Clint get the ball in these situations. Brown just gets fed some scraps here and there.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Clearly has also been in First Grade for five years.

He's only making 5m more per game, with two years' extra experience under his belt.

I'm not denying that Brown has plenty to work on, but he is far from the lost cause many of you are making him out to be.

Check out what panther fans were saying about cleary in 2019. They wanted him to move to hooker because he had no vision.

Some fans don't have patience with halves. If we were losing and he was our dominant half fair enough (are these the same people that want a new coach every 3rd pre-season?).But we're winning and he's the youngest in the spine with the most to learn.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Cleary is the best half in game and pulling away. BROWN doesn't need to be that good.
As I said earlier he doesn't get many chances to shine with Moses and Gutherson getting the ball at key moments. Now add Bryce to the mix.
So when will D.Brown get the ball? If it's not when we've bent the line or made the defense retreat or our main attacking play in the set than there is little he can do. And to be fair to him 95% of time Moses or Clint get the ball in these situations. Brown just gets fed some scraps here and there.

Absolutely.

But let's remember - Cleary is into his fifth season of First Grade, and Brown his third.

In two years' time, who knows where Brown could be in his development as a player?

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yup. Thats the worry. But like i said a bloke who is about to turn 21 has plenty of time on his side. I can’t predict how he is going to turn out but i dare say, if he wants to improve, which i think he would, he will.
Id prefer a young half to gradually improve than to be a flash in the pan for 3 years like *T Smith.
Maybe the excessive defence is killing him, not making excuses for him im just thinking of reasons.
Time will tell i guess.
*Ash Taylor

Eelementary

Post Whore
Check out what panther fans were saying about cleary in 2019. They wanted him to move to hooker because he had no vision.

Some fans don't have patience with halves. If we were losing and he was our dominant half fair enough (are these the same people that want a new coach every 3rd pre-season?).But we're winning and he's the youngest in the spine with the most to learn.

Don't have to convince me, mate - I think Brown is doing a great job.

BA is obviously keeping it simple with Brown, and it seems to be working.

hindy111

Post Whore
Absolutely.

But let's remember - Cleary is into his fifth season of First Grade, and Brown his third.

In two years' time, who knows where Brown could be in his development as a player?

True. But he also debut mid 2016 and was NSW halfback in 2018.And a future immortal

Eelementary

Post Whore
There is no doubt Dyl has more talent than any junior half we have brought through in decades.
My only concern is we have seen Moses game improve hugely this season and I don’t feel Brown’s has progressed at all, and his brain fades/concentration gaps seem to have increased. I’d like to think with Johns hands on with him weekly would be improving his game as it appears to have with Moses

Good points.

But Moses is 26, into his seventh season of First Grade, while Brown is 20, into his third season.

Dylan Brown will have played 50 (or close to it) First Grade games by age 21 - not many players can claim that.