What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment?

Rich102

Staff member
THE New Zealand Warriors have cast their aggressive recruitment net to England, with spotter Dean Bell travelling to Wigan this week to meet agents and players.
Bell last night refused to rule out a bid for Wigan star Sam Tomkins.
"You're always looking for quality players like that, but for the moment he's not on our radar," Bell said.
"This is the second year I've come to England and it's good to be here to keep up relationships. There are players we're looking at, including Australians we believe might want to come back Down Under and play in the NRL."
The Warriors have spent the early part of the year seeking to bolster their forwards and halves.
They've made a big offer for Todd Carney and shown interest in Cowboys halfback Robert Lui as a Plan B.
Sharks back-rower Jayson Bukuya is also on their wish list.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ollowing-tragedy/story-e6frexnr-1226618593971

Is this seriously our recruitment policy?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
THE New Zealand Warriors have cast their aggressive recruitment net to England, with spotter Dean Bell travelling to Wigan this week to meet agents and players.
Bell last night refused to rule out a bid for Wigan star Sam Tomkins.
"You're always looking for quality players like that, but for the moment he's not on our radar," Bell said.
"This is the second year I've come to England and it's good to be here to keep up relationships. There are players we're looking at, including Australians we believe might want to come back Down Under and play in the NRL."
The Warriors have spent the early part of the year seeking to bolster their forwards and halves.
They've made a big offer for Todd Carney and shown interest in Cowboys halfback Robert Lui as a Plan B.
Sharks back-rower Jayson Bukuya is also on their wish list.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ollowing-tragedy/story-e6frexnr-1226618593971

Is this seriously our recruitment policy?

You know these things in the paper get leaked by player managers? to drum up support.
i think purely because warriors are in New Zealand, they dont get linked to as many players.

I am sure warriors are interested in carney and possibly tomkins - to play in the halves and move thomas to hooker??? they are both class

Bukuya - I dont think anybody can complain with Bukuya, he is better than Lewis IMO at probably 1/3rd the price. Plays nice and hard - will play a big world cup.

Do you want people to leak all the people we target to the media - just to be disappointed like st george fans lol Everybody acts like they now how every thing works.

I think we have to be pretty happy with last years recruits - Nielsen, Thomas L, Lowrie
All quality and all have been good so far.

I think biggest problem is the development of youngsters, not recruitment

Last edited:

captainwarrior

Juniors
I think biggest problem is the development of youngsters, not recruitment

Though I agree with this I think they need to recruit some experienced players to help solve the attitude problems that these youngsters apparently have. As it sounds Mannering and rest of the senior playing group aren't having much success with that at the moment. Not that Carney would be the answer to that question but we do need a bit of recruitment for competition for spots also and it will hopefully bring out the best in some of our players that aren't playing FG footy at the moment (Locke, Ikahahifo, Taylor and the rest).

Bukuya, as its been said, would be a great buy. Dunno about Lui though.

tangalife

Juniors
They can't name names because what would that say to their current players in that position. What does Harry Seijka think after moving to the club and Dean Bell says hes after Carney or Tompkins.

BUT I can only think the only targets we will get will be second rate Aussies over there. Hopefully Bell pulls through.

Iafeta

Referee
After last years coup of George Carmont, I hear Frazer Anderson and Justin Murphy are on the radar.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Though I agree with this I think they need to recruit some experienced players to help solve the attitude problems that these youngsters apparently have. As it sounds Mannering and rest of the senior playing group aren't having much success with that at the moment. Not that Carney would be the answer to that question but we do need a bit of recruitment for competition for spots also and it will hopefully bring out the best in some of our players that aren't playing FG footy at the moment (Locke, Ikahahifo, Taylor and the rest).

Bukuya, as its been said, would be a great buy. Dunno about Lui though.

Agreed, they will probably have to cut their losses on some of the youngsters and let them go to.

Mate even if they look at the some of the big spenders i.e Roosters & Bulldogs for some quality forwards.

Juju

Juniors
The Mole is saying we have signed Sam Tomkinson... I'll believe when I see it though

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I dunno about Sam Tomkinson but he said we're favourites for Sam Tomkins, which in my opinion would be the biggest signing in the clubs history. Might stop a bit of the moaning.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
we could probably swap somebody to, to lessen the release fee.

I like the fish and consider him for the wing.
But he would kill in the UK.

That would be our advantage over a rugby union team.
We could potentially give them a replacement.

jaseg

Juniors
I would be very hesitant in throwing Sam Tomkins into the halves (at least early on) in the NRL. He's a much better fullback than 7/6 from what I've seen (which is a fair bit). Would actually prefer to see Kevin Locke pairing Shaun Johnson than Tomkins.

It would be an incredible signing though - off the top of my head only Price & Wiki would match it in the club's history. IF (BIG, HUGE if) it is pulled off I'd say Bell's two recruitment trips would have been worth it.