What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment?

hitman82

Bench
http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/the-lurkernrl-rumour-filewednesday-230846
Warriors set to land Tomkins
The New Zealand Warriors are set to pull off a remarkable coup by signing the glamour boy of English football, Sam Tomkins, by using a tactic made popular in Britain's premier league soccer.
The Kiwi club is poised to break new ground by agreeing to a player swap deal that will see fullback Tomkins - rated as the Billy Slater of British league - playing in New Zealand in 2014.
Remarkably, the Warriors are set to give Wigan THREE players for Tomkins, such is the high regard they hold for the Wigan star.
Which three players will they send to Wigan? Time will tell…
Tomkins would be an incredible signing. He's the best player in the ESL and the best English player in general. His signature would also give us a better shot of landing another ESL star or two. Let's have Tomkins, Hall and the biggest baddest forward available. Chur

hitman82

Bench
If it's true, they would surely want a semi big name or two... Manu/Martel, Friend and Fish. There ya go.

1 Locke
6 Johnson
7 Tomkins
9 Leuluai

I like it

Iafeta

Referee
Watched some youtube stuff of him. Looks like a great talent. I agree with the above, he looks a more natural fullback to me. Love what he does chiming in from the back and some of his flick passing looks terrific. Surely if he was to come over they'd be looking at Locke maybe moving forward into five eighth, which personally I think would work.

Iafeta

Referee
1 Tomkins
2 Laumape
3 Hurrell
4 Neilsen
5 Vatuvei
6 Locke
7 Johnson

Yep, I could live with that. Leuluai off the bench with Friend at hooker. I reckon then if we got a strong prop and a strong back rower (Bakuya?) we'd be set.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yep, absolutely dumb! Who did we get? Dennis Betts???

We got Andy Platt and Dean Bell to come over half a season early. It was back when the ESL ran during our off season and vice versa.

We then then got Blackmore, Botica, Betts halfway through the season iirc.

In hindsight an absolute shit of a trade. Hard not to imagine Jones/Paul/Paul as the spine of your team and think we somehow missed out. :lol:

Diesel

Referee
The difference with Betts and Platt in 95 was they were at the end of their careers

So if we sign Tomkins, Carney won't come here? I'm fine with this.

The 3 players? Hopefully under performing ones but you've gotta guess it'll be either Locke or Manu will take one place

Iafeta

Referee
Locke will remain IMO. I hope the plan is for him to play 6. Kevin's best efforts this year has been handling in a deep spread close to the line, he does have good vision and organisational skills. Its more a matter for me whether he could handle defending in the front line (I think he could, he's kinda done it before on the wing). Vatuvei and Mateo are apparently in negotiations now to re-sign, so I'd say they'll be here too.

Do the deal, get a good go forward prop and a hard running back rower and I think Elliott's structures will guide us a long back up the chain TBH.

Juju

Juniors
If three players were swapped I reckon they would be Fish, Godinet and Mara (Godinet would be a star in SL)

I could also see Wigan wanting some kind of marquee in return - so I could see Manu being offered up.

I still think there is no way he'll come here.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If three players were swapped I reckon they would be Fish, Godinet and Mara (Godinet would be a star in SL)

I could also see Wigan wanting some kind of marquee in return - so I could see Manu being offered up.

I still think there is no way he'll come here.

Godinet is off contract this year. We aren't in a position to swap him for 2014. Same with Mara and Manu I think.

If it's for 2014 we can only trade players we have under contract for 2014 and beyond.

playdaball

Bench
There is enough dead wood in the club to give to Wigan.

Godinet won't go to the uk ... More than likely with a Sydney based club. What was the n ame of that guy from the vulcans who went to Wigan? He was a RAro centre - tall guy who turned out for howick? Haven't heard too much about him