What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment?

Iafeta

Referee
That's correct. And I doubt a player will re-sign with the Warriors with the intention of being sent on loan to the other side of the world. Godinet as I understand it has made it fairly clear he wants to move to Sydney, I doubt therefore even if he did re-sign that he'd been keen to go to England. That's why I think Fish will be one. For a couple of reasons; he's under contract, he wants game time, and going to England may help get him the experience and hard yards into him that he needs to exploit his potential.

The one thing I think we need to be careful of is the 'no-no' trades: Johnson, Hurrell, Matulino, Mannering, and possibly Neilsen. There's not a lot else, when you consider that Elliott is unlikely to want to lose Locke, that are under contract for 2014 and would be sent on their way to make enough value for Tomkins.

Putting it altogether, it looks doubtful. The other thing I wonder is the salary cap implications. Do we essentially still play for the players that go?

Iafeta

Referee
There is enough dead wood in the club to give to Wigan.

Godinet won't go to the uk ... More than likely with a Sydney based club. What was the n ame of that guy from the vulcans who went to Wigan? He was a RAro centre - tall guy who turned out for howick? Haven't heard too much about him

Anthony Gelling.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The difference with Betts and Platt in 95 was they were at the end of their careers

So if we sign Tomkins, Carney won't come here? I'm fine with this.

The 3 players? Hopefully under performing ones but you've gotta guess it'll be either Locke or Manu will take one place

Soward has signed a 4 year deal with Penrith today so the drums are beating a bit louder that Carney will be a Dragon

Does anyone have any contacts close to the club ? If Locke hasn't cleaned his ego and attitude up then maybe he will be an influence they want to trade away for a year or 2 ?

jaseg

Juniors
Er, I don't think the three players going the other way would be a 'loan', they would be released to Wigan. I'm thinking (hoping in the case of the first 2, particularly Tupou) those players will be Fish, Tupou and one of Sam Rapira/Packer (Wigan are looking at losing Mossop & Hock - two forwards - to Parra next year). That said, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Leuluai or Locke involved in the deal.

(and @Iafeta - the Tigers loaned Liam Fulton out to I think Huddersfield a few years back to get under the salary cap so I assume loans don't count under the cap, unless you are paying part of their salary during any loan period - that part would be counted)

playdaball

Bench
Anthony Gelling.

If the Tompkins and 3 player swap is true, guys such as Anthony Gelling may come into the mix rather than Internationals. Therefore some of the 3 may come from the Vulcans ... just as Gelling did. Is he still playing at Wigan?

Dont we have a sister relationship with Wigan? If so the idea of letting guys play over there for a year has merit.

spear tackle

Juniors
If the Tompkins and 3 player swap is true, guys such as Anthony Gelling may come into the mix rather than Internationals. Therefore some of the 3 may come from the Vulcans ... just as Gelling did. Is he still playing at Wigan?

Dont we have a sister relationship with Wigan? If so the idea of letting guys play over there for a year has merit.

Yeah I seem to remember in the news a while back we were supposed to have some kind of trade deal with Wigan I can't remember it ever being used though.

Tthe imppresion I got was that it was to be used mainly for Vulcans and U20's.

Iafeta

Referee

I was under the impression Gelling was never signed by the Warriors - and therefore was a free agent.

Yes, he's still at Wigan.

One Warrior

Bench
That is the Sun you're quoting, the paper that had as its headline when the General Belgrano was sunk in the Falklands War "Gotcha".

Mike0070

Juniors
There's no doubting Mateo is a talent , but would it really matter if he wasn't here next year ??

After the Raiders game I thought he either doesnt give two shits about this team , or he is just plain stupid

He was one that really disappointed me end of last season.

Iafeta

Referee
From what I'm hearing, there is a fairly real chance we'll again be loaded with cash under the salary cap, with no one worthy to throw it to. Particularly if Mateo leaves to the Dragons. Its something strategically the Warriors need to look at. Matt Elliott has admitted as much he never thought it'd be as hard as it is to get Australian players to Auckland. Strategically then what are the options - one, Super 15 players who aren't going to make the All Blacks (I've heard Charles Piatau is one they would like), English players (if we're talking Burgess, Graham, Tomkins standards, that would be good but unlikely), three, the ARLC looks at as a significant issue and chooses to find options to help the Warriors get access to players. Tricky situation. Its very feasible that the Warriors targets, Tomkins, Bakuya, and whomever the Queensland centre they're talking about don't come, and the Warriors first grade squad loses the likes of Feleti Mateo. It could be disastrous, despite all efforts for it not to be.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Bakuya seems a good purchase but I'd have doubts about his injury history and knowing our luck he would go down in his first few games with us. All conjecture at this stage and has mentioned above very likely chance that we get all or nothing.