What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment.

Cold Roses

Juniors
WE NEED AT LEAST TWO GOOD PROPS. FAST!.

Absolutely. I've said before that I'd be happy if Rapira and Lillyman were moved on. Sentiment can't come into it. Our props aren't effective as a unit. Not enough size and controlled aggression.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Jeez. I hope we get serious soon.
WE NEED AT LEAST TWO GOOD PROPS. FAST!
Leave the fancy bits till later. Concentrate on the basics.

I disagree with the extreme shortage of half and hookers.
I reckon they are more important to wrap up.

Props are way more plentyful.
Surely they will look to keep matagi & gubb on the cheap.

Guys like FPN or Lama Tasi will eventually be squeezed out of roosters imo

Havent seen much of lilyman this year - still has it in him though.

As for halves Mcgann is class - at least it will stop Hugh bagging the warriors lol

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I really like Matt McGhan, he could possibly be looking for a new club even with Gareth Widdop leaving the storm he probably still has Ben Hampton & Brett Finch in front of him for the 6 jersey. I think we could manufacture another prop though, I rate John Palavi as an edge backrower but personally I'd rather he became another Matulino with a bit of leg speed, Lama Tasi is another person I'd try to sign because atm we lack hitters and I feel we need more players who put fear in opposition teams. Right now our prop rotation seems sluggish, Rapira is a shell of his former self, Packer just hasn't improved much over the last couple years and Lillyman isn't having the impact he had when he was playing origin. Verdict is still out on Matagi, Gubb & the Lousi bros though hopefully a few of them come good.

Iafeta

Referee
I think you can actually look back a bit in time to find two props we can target - Mark Ioane and Neecrom Areeaiti. Both have played one game of first grade. Both are very strong physically with good ball skills and the ability to play good minutes. I've watched a little bit of Areeaiti in NSW Cup, I think he's very capable.

Penrose11

Juniors
I agree that recruiting halves are right up there on the importance stakes for us. We obviously need a 6 to pair up with Johnson. The brains trust of B.E.S (Bell Elliott Scurragh) must think so as well seeing as they've been chasing Carney and Tomkins pretty hard recently and rumours even though very far fetched that they showed interest in Thurston.

So which halves are available out there that we should be trying to entice across?

Trent Hodkinson is off contract and reportedly on approx $250k. Dogs have had alot of big name retention signings recently and you'd expect they would've had contract upgrades. If warriors were prepared to offer Carney $800+ then surely a Warriors deal of $500k upwards for Hodkinson then he'd certainty have to think twice about turning down. He's a quality goal kicker as well.

Ben Hunt at Broncos.

Sam Williams at Raiders. He'd likely have previous working knowledge of Elliott which is hard to know if a pro or a con?? I'm thinking probably a con

Peter Wallace at Broncos is supposely on the outer and looking for new digs. Not really a fan but certainly has the experience to help Johnson around the field.

Brett Finch I'm pretty sure is on a year to year contract. Unsure if he would bring the right professional attitude but would definitely bring the hard nosed mongrel type player we really need right now.

Benji????

Luke Walsh. No real flare but we have Johnson with plenty of that. Walsh could work it around the field, leaving Johnson to do what he does best. Walsh kicks goals as well.

I think we need a leader type player in the Cronk and Thurston mold. Barking orders and directing play. I think at present we don't need an inexperienced player but someone who'll come in from day one and lead both on and off the park.

Think B.E.S should all be given their marching orders as well.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Well according to RLW Mole we have 'some interest' in McGahan and Townsend.

We could get lucky if McGahan wants to move back home. I've only seen him play a few games but in his style of play he looks more like Foran than Johnson, so they would compliment each other perfectly imo. In a few years anyway. Comes with a good goal kicking boot as well.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I agree that recruiting halves are right up there on the importance stakes for us. We obviously need a 6 to pair up with Johnson.

I think your 6 should be johnson, and you guys get a 7 to organise the forwards etc, allowing Johnson to feel he has more free rein to run the ball.

Cold Roses

Juniors
I'm starting to get the sneaking suspicion we'll land up with Frank Paul next year

If he's playing lock then it may be ok, but size wise, he doesn't offer anything more than Raps or Lillyman really. Maybe more of an offload than either of them, but not really what I'd hope we'd be looking for in terms of prop/go forward options.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Size wise maybe not, but he's got the aggression that we're really lacking.

Mateo
FPN
Mannering

Bukuya

Would take that over anything we currently have in a heartbeat.

Iafeta

Referee
FPN? Bloke left Auckland (well, was given a grace pass out by Ivan) because of a lot of issues on the streets of Auckland. Don't see why he'd be keen to come back to that.

tangalife

Juniors
Yeah well Ivan told him to P.O and said he would never amount to anything, so he definately wont be going to the Panthers thats for sure

Iafeta

Referee
My understanding was Ivan was doing it more for FPN's welfare - he needed to get away from the gangs. Not so much that he wasn't talented, but that he wasn't professional with the surroundings he had.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
FPN? Bloke left Auckland (well, was given a grace pass out by Ivan) because of a lot of issues on the streets of Auckland. Don't see why he'd be keen to come back to that.

Well he's not 17 years old anymore and makes 100's of thousands of dollars so I doubt he would be getting involved in a gang :lol:

My understanding was Ivan was doing it more for FPN's welfare - he needed to get away from the gangs. Not so much that he wasn't talented, but that he wasn't professional with the surroundings he had.

Cleary said he didn't have the work ethic to make it as FGer

Scott

Bench
FPN is good for a couple of good games a year. There is no consistency to his football & he is still a walking penalty. Frankly, he is lazy & has a bad attitude. Not required at the Warriors imo.

Cold Roses

Juniors
RLW Mole is saying that we have signed Townsend from Cronulla. Looks like Leuluai to hooker if this is the case and possibly they won't take up the option on Friend?

Sharkie73

Bench
RLW Mole is saying that we have signed Townsend from Cronulla. Looks like Leuluai to hooker if this is the case and possibly they won't take up the option on Friend?

Apparently you've signed him for three years on 200,000 per year.