What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Red V, Minties jersey, butchers stripes...."

RL1908

Bench
Just doing a bit of a delve into jerseys. Do any of your club's old jersey designs have nicknames?

I know Souths have "the Minties" jersey of mid 1980s. "The Red V" is obvious.

Is "blood & bandages" tag for all hooped Saints jerseys, or just the one akin to Canterbury's "butchers stripes" design?

Any others at your club (or pre-merger club)?

IanG

Coach
Yeah the Knights original jersey is refered to as the Henny Penny jerseys

The club's first major sponsor was Henny Penny which is a local chain of Take Away Chicken outlets

Saint Doc

Coach
Blood and bandages only refers to the even stripes, not the current heritage design "butchers stripes".

Blood and bandages:

dragons-alternative-away-rugby-shirt-2001-s_273_1_0x80.jpg

This one had a few nicknames, I think the Wolverine was the most widely used

dra10_aj.jpg

RL1908

Bench
Blood and bandages only refers to the even stripes, not the current heritage design "butchers stripes".

Blood and bandages:

dragons-alternative-away-rugby-shirt-2001-s_273_1_0x80.jpg

This one had a few nicknames, I think the Wolverine was the most widely used

Goodo! Thanks for confirming the difference.

Is that 'Wolverine' aka 'Itchy & Scratchy'? Very amusing tag!

Saint Doc

Coach
Goodo! Thanks for confirming the difference.

Is that 'Wolverine' aka 'Itchy & Scratchy'? Very amusing tag!

Yep they were the two most common nicknames, there was also the "Freddy Kruger". For a historical club with such a proud history of jerseys...it was not our finest hour! No wonder it found itself in the waste bin after a year.

Although it may have been an elaborate plot, because even the most one-eyed St.George Dragons fan was supportive of having the Steelers design as our alternate instead of the Wolverine. Smoke and mirrors perhaps!!

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The early raiders jersey was known as the lime spider. Believe it or not it was a lighter and brighter green then the present Canberra jersey.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yep they were the two most common nicknames, there was also the "Freddy Kruger". For a historical club with such a proud history of jerseys...it was not our finest hour! No wonder it found itself in the waste bin after a year.

Although it may have been an elaborate plot, because even the most one-eyed St.George Dragons fan was supportive of having the Steelers design as our alternate instead of the Wolverine. Smoke and mirrors perhaps!!

i think this jersey has better claim to that nickname..

rabbit.gif

DeeJ

Bench
What do Souths and Freddie Kruger have in common? They can only achieve anything in their dreams.