What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Red V, Minties jersey, butchers stripes...."

I've heard this St George jersey called the "Golden Pubes" jersey...

anzac.jpg

Also, in 1967, Cronulla was planning to have the colours Brown and white. I think it was a link to the colours of their life saving team or something like that.

When Penrith unveiled Brown and white, Cronulla had to change, They went with Blue Black and white and I believe their Surf Lifesaving club adopted the colours as well.

I thought that Cronulla were playing 2nd Grade in Brown + White and Penrith were Sky Blue + Black. Cronulla were the first to be confirmed as moving up to 1st Grade and chose Sky Blue + Black + White as their colours. When Penrith also got confirmed to move up to 1st Grade, they found their traditional colours had been taken, so ending up with Brown + White. Pretty sure Penrith's first few badges continued to have Sky Blue in them to retain the link with their traditional strip.

Rapture_Shark

Juniors
I thought that Cronulla were playing 2nd Grade in Brown + White and Penrith were Sky Blue + Black. Cronulla were the first to be confirmed as moving up to 1st Grade and chose Sky Blue + Black + White as their colours. When Penrith also got confirmed to move up to 1st Grade, they found their traditional colours had been taken, so ending up with Brown + White. Pretty sure Penrith's first few badges continued to have Sky Blue in them to retain the link with their traditional strip.

ive got a book and its about the history of rugby league club, and i think it says that we were brown and gold and were known as the lions, but we were looking for a new colour, mascot etc. when cronulla and penrith were granted into the NSWRL penrith asked it they could use brown and white. so then cronulla went with black white and blue, which is also colours of the cronulla surfing club.

i think thats the story anyway

RedVee

First Grade
The SGI alt jersey with the adidas tri-stripes down the sleeves is the "Red T", though some people call it the "Liverpool" possibly because Adidas had matched it to red shorts and socks.

Also, in 1967, Cronulla was planning to have the colours Brown and white. I think it was a link to the colours of their life saving team or something like that.

When Penrith unveiled Brown and white, Cronulla had to change, They went with Blue Black and white and I believe their Surf Lifesaving club adopted the colours as well.
backwards I think
Other way around I think madunit. Cronulla were beaten to the brown/white by Penrith and so adopted the colours of the surf club (blue/black/white). Good choice I would say.
close, but I thought Cronulla beat Penrith to register the blue, condemning them to brown and causing some angst between the '67 newcomers.

ive got a book and its about the history of rugby league club, and i think it says that we were brown and gold and were known as the lions, but we were looking for a new colour, mascot etc. when cronulla and penrith were granted into the NSWRL penrith asked it they could use brown and white. so then cronulla went with black white and blue, which is also colours of the cronulla surfing club.

i think thats the story anyway

The story I heard was that Cronulla did the dirty on Penrith by grabbing the blue, black, white - then justifying it by tying it into the surf club, Cronulla? Eloura?
Penrith wanted the blue as it was their colour in 1st div. The teams basically did a colours swap between 1st Div and 1st Grade, but not to Penriths choice.

roofromoz

First Grade
The Panthers name was adopted in 1963, when Penrith were playing in the second division. And the initial club logo (panther leaping through a P) did have blue as a homage to the old colours. The brown had some local connection to the area, to do with the local high school (I think, I'll have to have another read of the book on their history to confirm it).

Hutty1986

Immortal
yep, i've heard that one too..

but tbh, if your pubes are that high up your body, the fact that they are also golden is probably the least of your worries...

I'd be pretty concerned if I had those words (though an excellent phrase) around my junk as well

Latest posts