What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

Perth Red

Post Whore
I thought one of the reasons Dolphins got in was due to their pathways strength. How come they haven't actually signed any Redcliffe players to the main squad yet?? Is there no one in their system talented enough for NRL?

soc123_au

Staff member
The Panthers said they had no issue with the Dolphins signing off-contract NRL top 30 players Robert Jennings and Sean O’Sullivan. However, Cameron took umbrage to the raid of their juniors.
“It’s a free market. We have no problem with the NRL boys,” he said.

“My disappointment is the need to go and get 18-year-old Katoa and Harry Hassett, 19-year-old Mason Teague and 17-year-old John Paul Donevski. The need to go and take those kids out of our junior league.
“Part of their submission would have been based around their capacity to develop juniors in their own area, so why do they feel the need to come and take our kids?
“This is also artificially inflating the market when it comes to signing other young players in our juniors.”

The headline is clickbait. The article in it's entirety is pretty much on the money.

Colk

First Grade
I'm less concerned at them signing a couple of good Panthers jnrs as I am why they haven't signed ANY Redcliffe players?

Are you referring to Qld Cup players or juniors? If it’s the latter, who’s to say they don’t already have some.

In any case, the idea that a club at its inception would have the same level of juniors as an NRL club is ridiculous. The whole thing will take some time in relation to setting up the proper systems - in essence it is probably another reason why the process should have been delayed but anyway.

Colk

First Grade
My point exactly..

No it wasn’t. Your point was why are they taking our juniors and you would have had the same complaint whoever poached them. I don’t really understand your complaint because their opportunities to play first grade are essentially blocked at Penrith. That is unless you expect them to hang around for another 5-10 years waiting for their opportunity

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you referring to Qld Cup players or juniors? If it’s the latter, who’s to say they don’t already have some.

In any case, the idea that a club at its inception would have the same level of juniors as an NRL club is ridiculous. The whole thing will take some time in relation to setting up the proper systems - in essence it is probably another reason why the process should have been delayed but anyway.
Haven't they been an NRL club pathway for some time and one of the top QRL cup teams? Id have thought they'd have some talented 19 or 20 year olds on their books they'd want to promote up to the main squad? If not then its been a bit of a myth that one of the strengths of bringing in an established second tier club is that they have pathways established and wont dilute existing clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No it wasn’t. Your point was why are they taking our juniors and you would have had the same complaint whoever poached them. I don’t really understand your complaint because their opportunities to play first grade are essentially blocked at Penrith. That is unless you expect them to hang around for another 5-10 years waiting for their opportunity
Thats a big assumption that all current first grade players will remain at the panthers for next 5-10 years. Maybe if your a scrum half jnr but the rest, players come and go.

Colk

First Grade
Thats a big assumption that all current first grade players will remain at the panthers for next 5-10 years. Maybe if your a scrum half jnr but the rest, players come and go.

I am not necessarily suggesting that they will but would a 18 year old and their manager like to hedge their bets knowing that they want to play first grade in the next year or two.
They can only make their decision on what they know which in the case of a lot of the positions in first grade at the Panthers, is currently blocked.

I take the points of Katoa and the young lock forward the Dolphins bought. Cleary is locked up long term and Yeo until 2024. Those two players, sans something drastic happening, are in all likelihood going to be there for a long time, particularly considering they are key players. So in essence, why would those two young players stick around when there are greater opportunities at other clubs

Colk

First Grade
Haven't they been an NRL club pathway for some time and one of the top QRL cup teams? Id have thought they'd have some talented 19 or 20 year olds on their books they'd want to promote up to the main squad? If not then its been a bit of a myth that one of the strengths of bringing in an established second tier club is that they have pathways established and wont dilute existing clubs.

I don’t know but there wasn’t a first grade team for them to go to a year prior, so I would say they would need time on that front. Prior to that any talented junior would have gone to another NRL club, so a lot of players who are now 18, 19 or 20 or jersey flegg age in QLD might be already contracted to another club, as one of the problems with League is that teams are signing blokes when they are 15-16 or younger (which is ridiculous btw)

Also, it is impossible for any team to be entered in without diluting the talent or having to poach players from existing clubs; at least initially.

MugaB

Coach
1. Isaako (1st grade Broncos)
2. Lee (1st grade Knights)
4. Aitken (1st grade Warriors)
5. R Jennings (reserve grade Panthers)
7. O’Sullivan (reserve grade Panthers )
8. J Bromwich (1st grade Storm)
9. Stone (1st grade Eels)
10. Nicholls (1st grade Souths)
11. Kaufusi (1st grade Storm)
12. K Bromwich (1st grade Storm)

14. Gilbert (1st grade Cowboys) 2nd row
15. Connelly Lemuelu (1st grade Cowboys) 2nd row
16. Marshall-King (1st grade Bulldogs) Hooker
17. Wallace (1st grade titans) prop

rest
18. Isaiya Katoa (halfback SG Ball Panthers)
19. Valynce Te Whare (centre -union)
20. Jack Bostock (Centre SG Ball Dragons)
21. JJ Collins (Prop Qlnd cup Tweeds Head)
22. Ryan Jackson (Prop QRL Colts Wynnum)
23. Mason Teague (lock SG Ball Panthers )
24. Harry Hassett (second row SG Ball Panthers)
25. John-Paul Donevski (wing SG Ball Panthers)

Presuming the youngsters are in the 30 man squad that leaves 8 places still to fill.
Where's Brenko Lee? Isnt he signed with the dolphins next year

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I thought one of the reasons Dolphins got in was due to their pathways strength. How come they haven't actually signed any Redcliffe players to the main squad yet?? Is there no one in their system talented enough for NRL?
24 years and how many Melbourne juniors from Melbourne playing in the storm team?

Perth Red

Post Whore
1. Isaako (1st grade Broncos)
2. E Lee (1st grade Knights)
3. B Lee (reserve grade Broncos)
4. Aitken (1st grade Warriors)
5. R Jennings (reserve grade Panthers)
7. O’Sullivan (reserve grade Panthers )
8. J Bromwich (1st grade Storm)
9. Stone (1st grade Eels)
10. Nicholls (1st grade Souths)
11. Kaufusi (1st grade Storm)
12. K Bromwich (1st grade Storm)

14. Gilbert (1st grade Cowboys) 2nd row
15. Connelly Lemuelu (1st grade Cowboys) 2nd row
16. Marshall-King (1st grade Bulldogs) Hooker
17. Wallace (1st grade titans) prop

rest
18. Isaiya Katoa (halfback SG Ball Panthers)
19. Valynce Te Whare (centre -union)
20. Jack Bostock (Centre SG Ball Dragons)
21. JJ Collins (Prop Qlnd cup Tweeds Head)
22. Ryan Jackson (Prop QRL Colts Wynnum)
23. Mason Teague (lock SG Ball Panthers )
24. Harry Hassett (second row SG Ball Panthers)
25. John-Paul Donevski (wing SG Ball Panthers)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t know but there wasn’t a first grade team for them to go to a year prior, so I would say they would need time on that front. Prior to that any talented junior would have gone to another NRL club, so a lot of players who are now 18, 19 or 20 or jersey flegg age in QLD might be already contracted to another club, as one of the problems with League is that teams are signing blokes when they are 15-16 or younger (which is ridiculous btw)

Also, it is impossible for any team to be entered in without diluting the talent or having to poach players from existing clubs; at least initially.
Not expecting to stack starting 17 but surely there’d be one or two good Redcliffe prospects you’d want in the 30 man squad? Maybe they’ll have a couple with them last 7 places left?

blukablu

Juniors
If they can get Reece Walsh and Milford they might actually have a good team. Staines has been told he can look elsewhere and I bet one of the Cowboys backline players will ask for a release as they have 6 gun players with only 5 spots available.

Add Milford, Walsh, Staines, Feldt/Hiku/Tabuai-Fidow and that looks like a decent team.