What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

blaza88z

Coach
I was just looking at Page 1 of this thread (20 posts), and the only signings from all the names mentioned are J Bromwich and Nikorima.

It was never going to be a case of getting every best player available, and think the squad is looking quite decent, with a few more signings to come.

They'll have a good pack, if they landed 1 elite standard spine player then all of a sudden things change drastically but they've missed all of their targets in that area.

No troll, honest answer, you keep banging on about pathways, then say PNG or East tigers can feed WA, why? why is perth worthy of these clubs, why cant they just get their own licence, as if perth will garner any effort to get them further past qcup status.... norths on the other hand... (no more NSW)

Thank f**k someone got it...

I honestly don't think the NRL gave the Dolphins enough time to pull a squad together. I thought they'd have snared a good marquee by now, especially with Bennett at the helm.

They are more than welcome to Luke Brooks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No troll, honest answer, you keep banging on about pathways, then say PNG or East tigers can feed WA, why? why is perth worthy of these clubs, why cant they just get their own licence, as if perth will garner any effort to get them further past qcup status.... norths on the other hand... (no more NSW)
Take it the WA expansion thread lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I honestly don't think the NRL gave the Dolphins enough time to pull a squad together. I thought they'd have snared a good marquee by now, especially with Bennett at the helm.

That much is obvious. They thought Dolphins money and Bennett's draw would address the short time frame, it hasn't. They need at least two years, ideally three so they could have brought through the best in QRL through their current system. They wont finish last, hopefully, but they wont be any good for a few years which is a shame.

Oh well nothing new for NRL to f**k up a good idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
1. Isaako (1st grade Broncos)
2. E Lee (1st grade Knights)
3. B Lee (reserve grade Broncos)
4. Aitken (1st grade Warriors)
5. R Jennings (reserve grade Panthers)
7. O’Sullivan (reserve grade Panthers )
8. J Bromwich (1st grade Storm)
9. Marshall-King (1st grade Bulldogs)
10. Nicholls (1st grade Souths)
11. Kaufusi (1st grade Storm)
12. K Bromwich (1st grade Storm)
13. Stone (1st grade Eels)

14. Gilbert (1st grade Cowboys) 2nd row
15. Connelly Lemuelu (1st grade Cowboys) 2nd row
16. K Nikorima (hooker/utility)
17. Wallace (1st grade titans) prop

rest
18. Isaiya Katoa (halfback SG Ball Panthers)
19. Valynce Te Whare (centre -union)
20. Jack Bostock (Centre SG Ball Dragons)
21. JJ Collins (Prop Qlnd cup Tweeds Head)
22. Ryan Jackson (Prop QRL Colts Wynnum)
23. Mason Teague (lock SG Ball Panthers )
24. Harry Hassett (second row SG Ball Panthers)
25. John-Paul Donevski (wing SG Ball Panthers)
26. Harrison Graham (hooker QRL Wynum Seagulls)
27. Michael Roberts (halfback schoolboy)
So by my reckoning 10 places still to fill. I think 6 on this list are on the development contracts so that leaves all 10 being main contract players to be signed.

blaza88z

Coach

I think the main issue is that they've only got 12 months and in that time every club with a big name coming off contract has been proactive and locked their player up before he was able to negotiate with the Dolphins

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the main issue is that they've only got 12 months and in that time every club with a big name coming off contract has been proactive and locked their player up before he was able to negotiate with the Dolphins
Not quite, there's been a bit of movement and late signings and missed opportunity. Add Brandon Smith & Reece Walsh into the squad and its starting to look a lot more exciting. The fact they haven't been able to land one big name back is the real issue for them.

MugaB

Coach
Not quite, there's been a bit of movement and late signings and missed opportunity. Add Brandon Smith & Reece Walsh into the squad and its starting to look a lot more exciting. The fact they haven't been able to land one big name back is the real issue for them.
I dont think it matters, they have a core team, one marquee player, might draw more players to them, but it doesn't mean your going to win games, hows Newcastle going with kayln ponga? Or Warriors with Reece Walsh, or Titans with Tito and Fafita, one draw card mean shit if your expectations of the team is based around one player....
Dolphins will be fine, and probably reach top8 or close enough, which first year will be a win, everyone laying in the boot now are over reacting to the News ltd goons drumming up "Bad news day" every single time a player uses the new outfit as bait to bump up their existing salary where they are

That is what I'm getting at. Any half decent player that was due to be off contract on 1st Nov 21 and could be engaged, the Dolphins had a fortnight to negotiate if they hadn't already recommitted to their current clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think it matters, they have a core team, one marquee player, might draw more players to them, but it doesn't mean your going to win games, hows Newcastle going with kayln ponga? Or Warriors with Reece Walsh, or Titans with Tito and Fafita, one draw card mean shit if your expectations of the team is based around one player....
Dolphins will be fine, and probably reach top8 or close enough, which first year will be a win, everyone laying in the boot now are over reacting to the News ltd goons drumming up "Bad news day" every single time a player uses the new outfit as bait to bump up their existing salary where they are
Yeh its not a terrible side by any means, and if the pack stay fit and on the field that alone should see them at least 9th or 10th. Its just a shame they arent starting with a bang. We've waited a very long time for Brsbane2 to come back, would be nice if they could be successful early. I dont listen to the muppets on NRL360, Kent has a nail up his arse re Bennett so of course everything at Dolphins is going to be a disaster according to him.

MugaB

Coach
Yeh its not a terrible side by any means, and if the pack stay fit and on the field that alone should see them at least 9th or 10th. Its just a shame they arent starting with a bang. We've waited a very long time for Brsbane2 to come back, would be nice if they could be successful early. I dont listen to the muppets on NRL360, Kent has a nail up his arse re Bennett so of course everything at Dolphins is going to be a disaster according to him.
He is the exact example of White collar Aussie f**kwit, who hates any diversion of Australia winning, state of Origin tainted by Pacifica (who mind you make up 40+% of the players pool) and indigenous ideas to help bolster credibility to game via inclusiveness to all walks of life... everytime he makes a comment about things like Brian To'o playing for Samoa, over playing for Aus, makes him look like a racist f**k, and all about the kangaroos staying no.1 above all else... he is all about the status quo, and beefs up or wanks over about only roosters, eels or norths... any other team he basically shits all over

Colk

First Grade
He is the exact example of White collar Aussie f**kwit, who hates any diversion of Australia winning, state of Origin tainted by Pacifica (who mind you make up 40+% of the players pool) and indigenous ideas to help bolster credibility to game via inclusiveness to all walks of life... everytime he makes a comment about things like Brian To'o playing for Samoa, over playing for Aus, makes him look like a racist f**k, and all about the kangaroos staying no.1 above all else... he is all about the status quo, and beefs up or wanks over about only roosters, eels or norths... any other team he basically shits all over

I don’t really see Paul Kent as a white collar. I see him as an arrogant, self entitled, myopic, neo-conservative f***wit.

The way he and a few of the other News Ltd Neanderthals have tried to bully Lara Pitt (in particular) and a few other co-hosts and ‘guests’ has been pretty deplorable

wain

Juniors
Is it just me or is the media's constant speculation that the 'Phins keep missing out on players and they are 'choosing' other teams a bit of an exaggeration?
I look at the list of players that 360 claims that the team has missed out on, and I think it's worth remembering that almost all of that list didn't go somewhere else...they just re-signed with their current club.

Maybe its semantics, but I think its a different thing. Players considering going, yet staying with their existing club (due to mates, family being settled, etc) shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

The only 'big' miss it would seem is B Smith, who left his club to go to the Roosters...based on the timeline, it seems this then impacted on them not chasing Mahoney as they thought they had Smith. And then there is the R Walsh story, which seems like they didn't really miss out on either.

Looking at it differently, more players are leaving their current clubs, homes, etc...to go to the Dolphins than any other club is gaining.

Agree or disagree, I think it's worth noting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it just me or is the media's constant speculation that the 'Phins keep missing out on players and they are 'choosing' other teams a bit of an exaggeration?
I look at the list of players that 360 claims that the team has missed out on, and I think it's worth remembering that almost all of that list didn't go somewhere else...they just re-signed with their current club.

Maybe its semantics, but I think its a different thing. Players considering going, yet staying with their existing club (due to mates, family being settled, etc) shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

The only 'big' miss it would seem is B Smith, who left his club to go to the Roosters...based on the timeline, it seems this then impacted on them not chasing Mahoney as they thought they had Smith. And then there is the R Walsh story, which seems like they didn't really miss out on either.

Looking at it differently, more players are leaving their current clubs, homes, etc...to go to the Dolphins than any other club is gaining.

Agree or disagree, I think it's worth noting.
Enticing players to move is always going to be harder. Getting them to move to an unknown entity even more so. Why they needed some more help than they got from the NRL who in its infinite wisdom decided that having a pokie den and wayne bennett would be enough.

wain

Juniors
Enticing players to move is always going to be harder. Getting them to move to an unknown entity even more so. Why they needed some more help than they got from the NRL who in its infinite wisdom decided that having a pokie den and wayne bennett would be enough.
completely agree with assistance and all you have said...I just don't think its unexpected or that dire.

Perth Red

Post Whore
completely agree with assistance and all you have said...I just don't think its unexpected or that dire.
No its not, but it didnt need to be and for sake of some sht clubs moaning they could have started with a bang and hit the ground running instead of having to take a few years to build into a decent side. Being a bottom half of the table club for first 2-3 years isnt a great outcome for expansion.