What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

it all depends what the NRL wants. I am with Great Dane in that I am concerned that a Redcliffe team has limited growth potential. I kind of get the impression they are the Brisbane club the Broncos will happily accommodate as well, which isn't a good thing. However if the NRL just wants another QLD club that won't require too much effort or planning then the Dolphins are probably the best bet.
If Redcliffe are admitted to the NRL they could still play a number of games at the Dolphin Oval against the likes of the Roosters, Manly and Penrith and West tigers and play the games which will attract bigger crowds at Suncorp.

flippikat

Bench
The more I read of this, the more I'm thinking that the best Brisbane 2 bid would be if a group of Brisbane-based Queensland Cup teams pooled their resources and formed a joint bid.

New logo, new mascot, new colours - crucially, playing EVERY home game at Suncorp.. and with the backing of a group of established 2nd tier clubs.

That kind of bid has yet to emerge, but it ticks all the boxes for me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more I read of this, the more I'm thinking that the best Brisbane 2 bid would be if a group of Brisbane-based Queensland Cup teams pooled their resources and formed a joint bid.

New logo, new mascot, new colours - crucially, playing EVERY home game at Suncorp.. and with the backing of a group of established 2nd tier clubs.

Could be beneficial from a funding from LC point of view but it would be really nice to see another NRL club born not reliant on LC funding and to be a successful sports business in its own right. There is no reason from a grassroots pathway point of view that the new Brisbane club couldnt have an agreement with a couple of feeder clubs in the region it is targetting

flippikat

Bench
Could be beneficial from a funding from LC point of view but it would be really nice to see another NRL club born not reliant on LC funding and to be a successful sports business in its own right. There is no reason from a grassroots pathway point of view that the new Brisbane club couldnt have an agreement with a couple of feeder clubs in the region it is targetting

An NRL club formed from an alliance of Qld Cup clubs doesnt *necessarily* have to rely on LC funding.. seed money to get the idea off the ground, perhaps - but if the NRL club is formed as a separate entity in itself, owned/administered by the alliance.. then there's nothing stopping it running year-to-year on non-LC sources for its core operating budget.

Outside of core funding, however.. now that could see some cool assets built from LC money...

The Great Dane

First Grade
The infighting would destroy any united Qld cup club.

All it'd take is for one of them to try and take a dominant position in the club and then it'd be every man for themselves, it'd be a massacre.

ReddFelon

Juniors
The more I look at it the more I think the best options are Perth and Adelaide. For all the arguments for another Queensland team there seems to be 2 negatives for every positive. The hypothetical Brisbane #2 can't be a composite franchise club because it won't differentiate from the Broncos but it also can't be any of the QRL teams because that will limit the support base. At this point I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have Adelaide and let Ipswich and Redcliffe be the feeder clubs with NRL kickbacks in the same way Easts Tigers and Sunshine Coast are for the Storm.

Would definitely improve the national footprint. Plus I'm starting to wonder about Brisbane and it's appetite for another team. Since moving to Queensland at the start of the year I've come across people who've always lived in the North and have never backed the Cowboys. Even their young kids are Dragons, Souths and Parramatta fans. Same goes for folks on the Gold Coast, they seem keen to support the Riff over their own team. Even at the Broncos Tigers game in April there were a solid 1/3rd of the crowd in Tigers colours.

Rams and Reds. Let the NSWRL and QRL clubs buy in as feeders to the expanded teams so that they can be competitive from the start while bringing in better broadcast dollars and sponsorship.

Diesel

Referee

Brisbane United

The Great Dane

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...brisbane-ripe-for-growth-20190623-p520gy.html

"Having a fourth Queensland NRL team can also be catalyst for NRL growth in regional Queensland heartland in markets with local games in Cairns, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Maroochydore etc just like AFL plays in Ballarat, Launceston, Hobart, Darwin and Cairns. In 2019, there are zero NRL games in regional Queensland which is dumb."

Redcliffe, to the north of Brisbane, with its young family demographic and existing strong club culture exemplified by the Dolphins, is the popular candidate.

I'll order you a Redcliffe jersey so that you'll be ready when they are admitted to the NRL ;)

That literally fails to address any argument I've put forward, I mean what point do you even think that you are making by quoting that?

Even Stallion comes up with better shit then that.

To address whether or not the NRL is grooming Redcliffe to join the NRL: Who knows, maybe they are , maybe they aren't, but if they are grooming them without formally starting a bidding and/or drawing out as many potential bids as possible then the NRL are truly one of the, if not the, most small minded and poorly run professional sports organisations in the country.

DC_fan

Coach
Amazing! Never stated Northern Sydney Bears you idiot! Very different from your twisted comprehension or lack of.

Surely you only need to look at what you said to realise you got it wrong. Man up and admit it. Some here might think more of you if you did.

Stallion

First Grade
Surely you only need to look at what you said to realise you got it wrong. Man up and admit it. Some here might think more of you if you did.

? At no stage! Repeat "at no stage" did I refer to the North Sydney Bears as " Northern Sydney Bears". I have used the term northern Sydney to describe the area north of Sydney's Harbour bridge. That's all. Don't particularly enjoy clarifying when it's all well documented if you read the comments properly. Perhaps you may admit to.being out of line? Try that!

Stallion

First Grade
That literally fails to address any argument I've put forward, I mean what point do you even think that you are making by quoting that?

To address whether or not the NRL is grooming Redcliffe to join the NRL: Who knows, maybe they are , maybe they aren't, but if they are grooming them without formally starting a bidding and/or drawing out as many potential bids as possible then the NRL are truly one of the, if not the, most small minded and poorly run professional sports organisations in the country.

Sly dog remarks off guys whom can't handle the heat don't impress! Have a nice day!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

So am I getting you a jersey or not?

DC_fan

Coach
? At no stage! Repeat "at no stage" did I refer to the North Sydney Bears as " Northern Sydney Bears". I have used the term northern Sydney to describe the area north of Sydney's Harbour bridge. That's all. Don't particularly enjoy clarifying when it's all well documented if you read the comments properly. Perhaps you may admit to.being out of line? Try that!

Just look how you structured both sentences, and see how the second one smoothly flowed on from the first. Making it quite clear in what you were saying, and that being you were referring to the Bears as the Northern Sydney Bears that was culled from the competition.

Oh well if you are not man enough to admit your error, it is just another X against your name. And, don't you have plenty.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane Roar are playing three games at Dolphin Oval next A-League season.

https://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/new...6DGyGtwk3IfoZPkdQ0Xzg8H77xrKuUuwM2MZU2fypvJ7Q

Should help get further funding to upgrade the stadium to 15,000-20,000 capacity.

Seriously it would cost $150mill plus to get it even close to what we would want to see for a new NRL club. It doesnt have one decent covered stand and nothing close to tthe standard of corporate facilities a modern stadium needs. Its current capacity is 10k with only 7k seats probably less than 5% being undercover seating. Its great for second tier but for NRl is a long way from where it would need to be.

Is Qland govt really about to splash another big sum of money on another Brisbane region stadium?

DC_fan

Coach
Seriously it would cost $150mill plus to get it even close to what we would want to see for a new NRL club. It doesnt have one decent covered stand and nothing close to tthe standard of corporate facilities a modern stadium needs. Its current capacity is 10k with only 7k seats probably less than 5% being undercover seating. Its great for second tier but for NRl is a long way from where it would need to be.

Is Qland govt really about to splash another big sum of money on another Brisbane region stadium?

But they are supposedly chasing the 2032 Olympics. So they might need another stadium or two.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But they are supposedly chasing the 2032 Olympics. So they might need another stadium or two.

When is that decision due? Fair enough if the Govt is going to build a new stadium for it and chooses Redcliffe as the location, but there's a fair few If's in that.

flippikat

Bench

Careful there.. one of those new stadiums would need a running track, which lessens it's suitability as a footy ground from the get-go.

To be fair.. if they can squeeze an athletics track in, they may just incorporate it into a redeveloped GABBA. Remember how the MCG got a temporary track for Commonwealth games that Melbourne hosted? Then it just reverted to a cricket oval when the games were over.

So many ifs and maybes if we're banking on an Olympics to deliver a slew of Brisbane venues.