What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

The Great Dane

First Grade
Redcliffe are asset rich and incredibly financially stable. They own their own ground, they own Dolphin's Central shopping centre and the Dolphin's health precinct. They are more financially stable than some NRL clubs. This is in addition to their huge league's club.

They run a successful rugby league club with deep roots that represent tradition and history in Queensland Rugby League and they have no deep animosity towards them from other QRL / BRL clubs that would be a barrier to building city-wide support.
All those assets are great, but it doesn't change the fact that they are owned by a Redcliffe club and the NRL needs a Brisbane club and not a Redcliffe club...
Admittedly, they will not use their own ground, they will use Suncorp (which is a must for any second Brisbane NRL team) to maximise crowds , sponsors, memberships etc. Playing centrally at Suncorp though helps them build that city-wide support.
From everything that I've seen they totally intend to play most of their season out of Dolphin Oval and not out of Suncorp.

Are you just hoping that the plan is to base the team out of Suncorp, or do you actually have some evidence that suggests that's actually the Dolphins plan?

I mean they were literally part of a plan to try to convince broadcasters to allow the NRL to take the Thursday game of Magic round to Dolphin Oval as a sort of test run for what it might be like for Dolphin Oval to support it's own NRL team. That is extremely strange behaviour if they plan to base the NRL team out of Suncorp!

It's not the article that I was looking for, as it doesn't directly address Redcliffe's involvement in the plan like the other one did, but here's a link anyway-
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/5fdd46ed6ec05882d3584b299b19f16b
They are essentially a dream bid for the NRL, an asset rich, financially stable, traditinal famous brand bringing RL DNA into the NRL in an area that the NRL want to expand into.

Let's take into consideration two incidences from the last 15 years:
Goulburn Workers (and a ton of other clubs for that matter) have similar assets, does that make them a dream bid for the NRL?!

Hell the Tuggeranong Vikings are (or at least were until very recently, things may have changed since last I heard) the richest sports club in the Southern Hemisphere without a full-time professional team in a major sports competition, they own their own stadium, they own a bunch of assets, etc, etc. They're a RU club, so probably wouldn't be interested in an NRL license (but who knows though), but should SANZAAR be hitting them up?
Probably not right, because two clubs in Canberra would be a shambles in either code...

The Dolphins are in the same boat as all the aforementioned (if the aforementioned were to bid for a license), though on paper their bids may be "dream bids" none of them are based in a place where they'll be (or at least should be) considered for a license in one of the major competitions, because they simply don't, and realistically can't, build a big enough fan-base for them to be accepted at the expense of others.

1. When the GC were planning to come into the comp for the 2007 season. One of the proposed names was the Gold Coast Dolphins. Redcliffe fought this all the way. Why? They knew where they were headed.

2. The NRL have recently stated that expansion would come from the second teir (i.e. if you aren't competing in the NSW or QLD cup, you won't be considered).
When was that?

I remember them (or at least Beattie and/or Greenberg) saying that they'd prefer that potential NRL teams do a stint in the second tiers before joining the NRL, but never that expansion clubs would only come from the second tier.
I don't think unless you live here you can understand how big Redcliffe will be. There is no comparrison to Manly because Redcliffe is one of only two clubs in the city and can take in North Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast as their catchment area.

I'm not sure how the Broncos and Storm would feel about it, but they could probably take all of that area as a juniors catchment, but there's no way in hell that they could hope to represent (i.e. build a significant active fan-base) in that wide of a geographical spread, it's just not possible to do it effectively.

Realistically how many people do you think are going to travel the 1½ - 2 hours depending on where on the the Sunshine coast they are coming from to Suncorp every second week (assuming that the team plays out of Suncorp), not to many I'd imagine.

If they were to go down that route then they'll be forced to focus on one area more than the others, and that area will be Redcliffe (not Morton bay as a whole, just Redcliffe), and once they do start to focus on one area over the others, as should be obvious, it'll come at the expense of everywhere else, and then they'll only represent those other places on paper and not in reality.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
Your consistent lack of acknowledging the immense damage being done to the code when longstanding clubs are eliminated/axed from the top flight. Northern Sydney being a very real example.

Northern Sydney! Has their ever been a team with that name in the competition?

You would think that someone who likes to paint the picture of himself as a historian of the game would get teams names right. I assume that you are talking about the North Sydney Bears. Going on your rational maybe Annandale, Newtown and Glebe should still be in the competition. Maybe we should even revert back to the original teams of the competition from 1908.

siv

First Grade

You would think that someone who likes to paint the picture of himself as a historian of the game would get teams names right. I assume that you are talking about the North Sydney Bears. Going on your rational maybe Annandale, Newtown and Glebe should still be in the competition. Maybe we should even revert back to the original teams of the competition from 1908.

Not bad - Wests will enjoy getting their juniors of St George and Cronulla back

It took 39 years to bring Parramatta back and 78 years for Newcastle to return

While it took St George 13 years to act on their original formation meeting

While it took Manly 40 yeaes to get over the jitters of not joining at the start

And I notice Glebe and Newtown are ready

DC_fan

Coach
Not bad - Wests will enjoy getting their juniors of St George and Cronulla back

It took 39 years to bring Parramatta back and 78 years for Newcastle to return

While it took St George 13 years to act on their original formation meeting

While it took Manly 40 yeaes to get over the jitters of not joining at the start

And I notice Glebe and Newtown are ready

It wouldn’t survive, but I do like your response

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
All those assets are great, but it doesn't change the fact that they are owned by a Redcliffe club and the NRL needs a Brisbane club and not a Redcliffe club...

From everything that I've seen they totally intend to play most of their season out of Dolphin Oval and not out of Suncorp.

Are you just hoping that the plan is to base the team out of Suncorp, or do you actually have some evidence that suggests that's actually the Dolphins plan?

I mean they were literally part of a plan to try to convince broadcasters to allow the NRL to take the Thursday game of Magic round to Dolphin Oval as a sort of test run for what it might be like for Dolphin Oval to support it's own NRL team. That is extremely strange behaviour if they plan to base the NRL team out of Suncorp!

It's not the article that I was looking for, as it doesn't directly address Redcliffe's involvement in the plan like the other one did, but here's a link anyway-
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/5fdd46ed6ec05882d3584b299b19f16b

Goulburn Workers (and a ton of other clubs for that matter) have similar assets, does that make them a dream bid for the NRL?!

Hell the Tuggeranong Vikings are (or at least were until very recently, things may have changed since last I heard) the richest sports club in the Southern Hemisphere without a full-time professional team in a major sports competition, they own their own stadium, they own a bunch of assets, etc, etc. They're a RU club, so probably wouldn't be interested in an NRL license (but who knows though), but should SANZAAR be hitting them up?
Probably not right, because two clubs in Canberra would be a shambles in either code...

The Dolphins are in the same boat as all the aforementioned (if the aforementioned were to bid for a license), though on paper their bids may be "dream bids" none of them are based in a place where they'll be (or at least should be) considered for a license in one of the major competitions, because they simply don't, and realistically can't, build a big enough fan-base for them to be accepted at the expense of others.

When was that?

I remember them (or at least Beattie and/or Greenberg) saying that they'd prefer that potential NRL teams do a stint in the second tiers before joining the NRL, but never that expansion clubs would only come from the second tier.

I'm not sure how the Broncos and Storm would feel about it, but they could probably take all of that area as a juniors catchment, but there's no way in hell that they could hope to represent (i.e. build a significant active fan-base) in that wide of a geographical spread, it's just not possible to do it effectively.

Realistically how many people do you think are going to travel the 1½ - 2 hours depending on where on the the Sunshine coast they are coming from to Suncorp every second week (assuming that the team plays out of Suncorp), not to many I'd imagine.

If they were to go down that route then they'll be forced to focus on one area more than the others, and that area will be Redcliffe (not Morton bay as a whole, just Redcliffe), and once they do start to focus on one area over the others, as should be obvious, it'll come at the expense of everywhere else, and then they'll only represent those other places on paper and not in reality.

You might want to read the article on page 1 of this thread - also addresses your question about them playing out of Suncorp. Goulburn Workers and Tuggeranong Vikings are not playing in the second teir.

Stallion

First Grade

Utterly incredible lack of grasping the scenario. Northern Sydney meaning that part of Sydney north of the Harbour bridge. This region( going to the Central Coast ) has over 1million people but only one top flight NRL team to support? Incredible stupidity I'm witnessing in such a discourse. It's amazingly dumb stuff!

DC_fan

Coach
Utterly incredible lack of grasping the scenario. Northern Sydney meaning that part of Sydney north of the Harbour bridge. This region( going to the Central Coast ) has over 1million people but only one top flight NRL team to support? Incredible stupidity I'm witnessing in such a discourse. It's amazingly dumb stuff!

Don’t try and pull a Donal Trump here. You talking about the North Sydney Bears here when you got their name wrong. For that you warrant an F. Back to Rugby League history books for you

The Great Dane

First Grade
You might want to read the article on page 1 of this thread - also addresses your question about them playing out of Suncorp.
I have read it, it doesn't really address anything I've brought up at all...

Nor does it have a quote from the club that clearly states that they intend to play out of Suncorp, only an off hand piece of editorialising by the writer that suggests that it would be a good idea, and he, like you and everybody else that brings this up, seems to be hoping that is the plan without any evidence that it is actually the plan.

The writer, again like you, is also operating on the at best shaky assumption that the only options for expansion in Queensland are the ones that are currently presenting themselves, instead of waiting to see what happens when the NRL announces the bidding process, you know, when there is actually a license to be bid for.
Workers and Tuggeranong Vikings are not playing in the second teir.

The Vikings are in the second tier of RU. . .

But the fact that Workers (and a ton of other clubs) aren't in the second tier is totally beside the point that they have similar assets to the Dolphins, and if they were to bid would be just as much "dream bids" as the Dolphins using the standard that you are setting.

But if they were to bid they'd never even be considered, because no matter how many great assets they have it'll never change the fact that they are based in and represent a place where the NRL doesn't need a club, and the Dolphins are/should be no different.

Stallion

First Grade
Don’t try and pull a Donal Trump here. You talking about the North Sydney Bears here when you got their name wrong. For that you warrant an F. Back to Rugby League history books for you

Idiot. I was and still am referring to Northern Sydney ! It's an apt description. Dummies of your calibre still can't work it out! Astounding! So dumb!

DC_fan

Coach
Idiot. I was and still am referring to Northern Sydney ! It's an apt description. Dummies of your calibre still can't work it out! Astounding! So dumb!

What, you call me dumb! Who doesn’t know the Bears real location?

To quote yourself

Your consistent lack of acknowledging the immense damage being done to the code when longstanding clubs are eliminated/axed from the top flight. Northern Sydney being a very real example.”

As I said back to the history books for you. You can also write a 100 times on the blackboard that it is North Sydney Bears not Northern Sydney Bears I am only kidding about the blackboard. You should do it here on this forum.

If I was you I would have said it was a spellcheck error. At least that wouldn’t have made you look so silly.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I have read it, it doesn't really address anything I've brought up at all...

Nor does it have a quote from the club that clearly states that they intend to play out of Suncorp, only an off hand piece of editorialising by the writer that suggests that it would be a good idea, and he, like you and everybody else that brings this up, seems to be hoping that is the plan without any evidence that it is actually the plan.

The writer, again like you, is also operating on the at best shaky assumption that the only options for expansion in Queensland are the ones that are currently presenting themselves, instead of waiting to see what happens when the NRL announces the bidding process, you know, when there is actually a license to be bid for.

The Vikings are in the second tier of RU. . .

But the fact that Workers (and a ton of other clubs) aren't in the second tier is totally beside the point that they have similar assets to the Dolphins, and if they were to bid would be just as much "dream bids" as the Dolphins using the standard that you are setting.

But if they were to bid they'd never even be considered, because no matter how many great assets they have it'll never change the fact that they are based in and represent a place where the NRL doesn't need a club, and the Dolphins are/should be no different.

We aren't talking RU, we are talking RL. NRL have stated that expansion is to be done through the second teir so Goulburn is also out.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We aren't talking RU, we are talking RL. NRL have stated that expansion is to be done through the second teir so Goulburn is also out.

I get the sense that this means more that the successful expansion bids will have a year or two in the second tier if not already there before entering the NRL rather than it has to come from an existing second tier club.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We aren't talking RU, we are talking RL.
Only because you are desperately trying to dodge the point that was being made, because if you engaged the point honestly you'd have to admit that the Dolphins bid isn't all that spectacular after all.

Ignore the Vikings for a second, every asset and advantage that the Dolphins own the Bears own or have an equivalent of (except maybe a stadium), and nobody (except the deluded, the ill-informed, or the stupid) would call any of the Bears multiple bids and attempts for a license "dream bids", because despite all their assets they are based in the wong market and represent the wrong people.
NRL have stated that expansion is to be done through the second teir so Goulburn is also out.
Once again they never said that only clubs from the second tier would be considered for expansion, somebody from the NRL/ARLC (I think it was Beattie from memory) said that they'd like to see any potential expansion teams to do a stint in the second tier before joining the NRL, I'm honestly not even sure whether that is policy or just an off hand remark.

You do realise that if expansion was to only happen from clubs promoted from the second tier that that would rule out every bid except the Dolphins right?

Expansion to WA, NZ, Adelaide, and any other non-heartland market would be impossible, and expansion to other markets like PNG, CQ, etc, would only be possible if the clubs from those regions were convinced to bid.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Only because you are desperately trying to dodge the point that was being made, because if you engaged the point honestly you'd have to admit that the Dolphins bid isn't all that spectacular after all.

Ignore the Vikings for a second, every asset and advantage that the Dolphins own the Bears own or have an equivalent of (except maybe a stadium), and nobody (except the deluded, the ill-informed, or the stupid) would call any of the Bears multiple bids and attempts for a license "dream bids", because despite all their assets they are based in the wong market and represent the wrong people.

Once again they never said that only clubs from the second tier would be considered for expansion, somebody from the NRL/ARLC (I think it was Beattie from memory) said that they'd like to see any potential expansion teams to do a stint in the second tier before joining the NRL, I'm honestly not even sure whether that is policy or just an off hand remark.

You do realise that if expansion was to only happen from clubs promoted from the second tier that that would rule out every bid except the Dolphins right?

Expansion to WA, NZ, Adelaide, and any other non-heartland market would be impossible, and expansion to other markets like PNG, CQ, etc, would only be possible if the clubs from those regions were convinced to bid.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...brisbane-ripe-for-growth-20190623-p520gy.html

"Having a fourth Queensland NRL team can also be catalyst for NRL growth in regional Queensland heartland in markets with local games in Cairns, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Maroochydore etc just like AFL plays in Ballarat, Launceston, Hobart, Darwin and Cairns. In 2019, there are zero NRL games in regional Queensland which is dumb."

Redcliffe, to the north of Brisbane, with its young family demographic and existing strong club culture exemplified by the Dolphins, is the popular candidate.

I'll order you a Redcliffe jersey so that you'll be ready when they are admitted to the NRL ;)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

To quote yourself

Your consistent lack of acknowledging the immense damage being done to the code when longstanding clubs are eliminated/axed from the top flight. Northern Sydney being a very real example.”

As I said back to the history books for you. You can also write a 100 times on the blackboard that it is North Sydney Bears not Northern Sydney Bears I am only kidding about the blackboard. You should do it here on this forum.

If I was you I would have said it was a spellcheck error. At least that wouldn’t have made you look so silly.

Stallion calls everyone dumb... which is ironic

mongoose

Coach
it all depends what the NRL wants. I am with Great Dane in that I am concerned that a Redcliffe team has limited growth potential. I kind of get the impression they are the Brisbane club the Broncos will happily accommodate as well, which isn't a good thing. However if the NRL just wants another QLD club that won't require too much effort or planning then the Dolphins are probably the best bet.

greenBV4

Bench
"Having a fourth Queensland NRL team can also be catalyst for NRL growth in regional Queensland heartland in markets with local games in Cairns, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Maroochydore etc just like AFL plays in Ballarat, Launceston, Hobart, Darwin and Cairns. In 2019, there are zero NRL games in regional Queensland which is dumb."
There was a game on the Sunshine Coast this year

Stallion

First Grade

To quote yourself

Amazing! Never stated Northern Sydney Bears you idiot! Very different from your twisted comprehension or lack of.

Latest posts