What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

Perth Red

Post Whore
Careful there.. one of those new stadiums would need a running track, which lessens it's suitability as a footy ground from the get-go.

To be fair.. if they can squeeze an athletics track in, they may just incorporate it into a redeveloped GABBA. Remember how the MCG got a temporary track for Commonwealth games that Melbourne hosted? Then it just reverted to a cricket oval when the games were over.

So many ifs and maybes if we're banking on an Olympics to deliver a slew of Brisbane venues.

I suspect IF Redcliffe were to get an Olympic venue it would be for soccer, RU 7's etc rather than athletics which would need a major stadium and would either see Gabba rebuilt or a new oval stadium built that would eventually replace the Gabba. Id be really surprised if Brisbane is big enough to host an Olympics. In many ways its a shame it cant be an Australian bid with the Olympics spread around the country.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Just look how you structured both sentences, and see how the second one smoothly flowed on from the first. Making it quite clear in what you were saying, and that being you were referring to the Bears as the Northern Sydney Bears that was culled from the competition.

Oh well if you are not man enough to admit your error, it is just another X against your name. And, don't you have plenty.

Lol. Absolutely wrong! It's amazing how you misconstrued this . What's more concerning is you have completely ignored the very valid observation that only one top flight club exists in a population of over 1milion people from northern Sydney to the Central Coast. Incredible ignorance! And here I am.debating misinterpretation and clear incorrect reading of a valid comment. In one breadth being wrong and also ignoring the very issue of a lack of top flight rugby league presence in this part of NSW. Amazing!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Careful there.. one of those new stadiums would need a running track, which lessens it's suitability as a footy ground from the get-go.

To be fair.. if they can squeeze an athletics track in, they may just incorporate it into a redeveloped GABBA. Remember how the MCG got a temporary track for Commonwealth games that Melbourne hosted? Then it just reverted to a cricket oval when the games were over.

So many ifs and maybes if we're banking on an Olympics to deliver a slew of Brisbane venues.

I agree with this. The Gabba will be the athletics venue if the Olympics come to town. I can't see them investing in QE2 (our current athletics venue that the Broncos used to play in). There would however be a need for a rectangular stadium for soccer (Suncorp) and a smaller rectangular venue for Rugby 7's.

Brisbane currently doesn't have a suitable smaller rectangular stadium ready for the Olympics without needing serious development. Ballymore would be a candidate, but considering that Governments like to leave legacies from these kind of events, a Dolphin Oval upgrade could be in the picture if it means that an existing professional sporting team gets left with better infrastructure out of the Olympics.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No but you can get me one;)

I personally like the Redcliff idea...but then I liked the idea of the brothers bid when that was rumoured to be interested. Wonder if more bids will surface when or if calls for expressions of interest are actually made.

Yes - I'm sure when the expansion report is finalised by Greeberg at the end of the year we will see quite a few bids pop up for South-East QLD

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I agree with this. The Gabba will be the athletics venue if the Olympics come to town. I can't see them investing in QE2 (our current athletics venue that the Broncos used to play in). There would however be a need for a rectangular stadium for soccer (Suncorp) and a smaller rectangular venue for Rugby 7's.

Brisbane currently doesn't have a suitable smaller rectangular stadium ready for the Olympics without needing serious development. Ballymore would be a candidate, but considering that Governments like to leave legacies from these kind of events, a Dolphin Oval upgrade could be in the picture if it means that an existing professional sporting team gets left with better infrastructure out of the Olympics.

Robina would be the easy option, but if they are looking at new buldings, the small rectangular stadium would be between Redcliffe or Ipswich.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Robina would be the easy option, but if they are looking at new buldings, the small rectangular stadium would be between Redcliffe or Ipswich.

Yep, if the Olympics happen - I'd be happy either way as long as SEQ gets a third NRL team and they get a new stadium out of it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
And hopefully one of those bids is worth a damn, because the three current ones are all deeply flawed.

I still dont see why the NRL cant just build their own club and sell that with demands that they keep the brand and commit to Suncorp...

Sydney RL is rooted because of partisan hacks with more ego than sense. Why risk the same thing happening to Brisbane?

flippikat

Bench
Yes - I'm sure when the expansion report is finalised by Greeberg at the end of the year we will see quite a few bids pop up for South-East QLD

Precisely. All it needs is for the NRL call for bids to be 2nd Brisbane club (if they're not creating the team themselves for sale later, as the Doctor suggested).. and more bids will put their cards formally on the table.

A quick YES to the West Coast Pirates, with an open bidding process for Brisbane 2 will do nicely.

Even if it's a staggered introduction (Perth one season, Brisbane 2 the next.. or even two years after Perth - to get the bidding process done right), that's fine by me. AFL did it with the Suns and Giants (and arguably before that with the Dockers and Power), and the A-League are doing it with their next two expansion teams - so the precident is there.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I still dont see why the NRL cant just build their own club and sell that with demands that they keep the brand and commit to Suncorp...
There isn't any reason why they couldn't manufacture a club.
I doubt they'll go down that route though.
Sydney RL is rooted because of partisan hacks with more ego than sense. Why risk the same thing happening to Brisbane?

Lets keep in mind that the people in the NRL are just as much partisan hacks with more ego then sense as anybody else in RL.

Honestly though I think we just have to wait for the NRL to announce the bidding process, because I have no doubt whatsoever that once that happens a bunch of bids from Brisbane will come out of the woodwork and it's more likely then not that at least one of them be a good bid.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Precisely. All it needs is for the NRL call for bids to be 2nd Brisbane club (if they're not creating the team themselves for sale later, as the Doctor suggested).. and more bids will put their cards formally on the table.

A quick YES to the West Coast Pirates, with an open bidding process for Brisbane 2 will do nicely.

Even if it's a staggered introduction (Perth one season, Brisbane 2 the next.. or even two years after Perth - to get the bidding process done right), that's fine by me. AFL did it with the Suns and Giants (and arguably before that with the Dockers and Power), and the A-League are doing it with their next two expansion teams - so the precident is there.

I think that it's to soon to declare even that, I mean who knows maybe there is a Perth bid waiting in the wings that shits all over the Priates. Maybe there's a bid out there that isn't from either Perth or Brisbane that totally blows the other options out of the water.

I'm nervous that everybody (apart from the NRL themselves) seems to have convinced themselves that if the NRL expands the next two clubs will/should be from Perth and Brisbane.It's just a bad idea to set that kind of expectation when for all we know there could be bids from e.g. Adelaide, NZ, or even further abroad, and that one or more of those bids could be better bids then everything that is on offer in Perth and/or Brisbane, and if that does turn out to be the case then I'm nervous that those bids will be ignored because they aren't from Perth and/or Brisbane, and that would be a very bad thing.

There're multiple examples of stuff like that happening before, the best Australian example though is in the A-League. For some reason they had their hearts set on the GC and North Queensland, they ignored way better options on the table from other places in favour of two really crappy ones from the GC and NQ simply because they were from the GC and NQ and the next two clubs were going to be from NQ and the GC. As you probably know it very quickly turned into a shit show after that point.

ash the bash

Juniors
Im a fan of Redcliffe...

However had a look at 17/18 Redcliffe leagues club annual report certainly not in the "big" leagues club category.

Redcliffe shopping centre wasn't included as it's probably its own entity.

28 Mil total Rev, 16 Mil Pokies, 3.2 Mil in cash and a 700K financial loss. Net 6 Mil in Assets.

To put it roughly in perspective both Souths Juniors and North Sydney leagues would be twice as big as Redcliffe leagues club. Also less total Rev and assets as South Sydney RLFC.

mongoose

Coach
I think that it's to soon to declare even that, I mean who knows maybe there is a Perth bid waiting in the wings that shits all over the Priates. Maybe there's a bid out there that isn't from either Perth or Brisbane that totally blows the other options out of the water.

I'm nervous that everybody (apart from the NRL themselves) seems to have convinced themselves that if the NRL expands the next two clubs will/should be from Perth and Brisbane.It's just a bad idea to set that kind of expectation when for all we know there could be bids from e.g. Adelaide, NZ, or even further abroad, and that one or more of those bids could be better bids then everything that is on offer in Perth and/or Brisbane, and if that does turn out to be the case then I'm nervous that those bids will be ignored because they aren't from Perth and/or Brisbane, and that would be a very bad thing.

There're multiple examples of stuff like that happening before, the best Australian example though is in the A-League. For some reason they had their hearts set on the GC and North Queensland, they ignored way better options on the table from other places in favour of two really crappy ones from the GC and NQ simply because they were from the GC and NQ and the next two clubs were going to be from NQ and the GC. As you probably know it very quickly turned into a shit show after that point.

I'm not sure about this, the NRL needs to be clear about which locations it would like expansion teams. There are only four which should be considered imo - perth, brisbane/seqld, adelaide and nz. No point inviting bids from anywhere such as Mackay or Tasmania. If its not the right location then its not a strong bid

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

The Pirates are run by the NRL WA so in effect they are run by the NRL. This pretty much means that they will be the Perth team if and when that happens. It would make no sense for the NRL to go a different way. I agree with you on getting them in ASAP - if not now then when?

I've stated previously that I believe Redcliffe to be a certainty but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm happy whichever the NRL go with Brisbane 2 as long as it is a quality bid playing out of Suncorp Stadium.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm not sure about this, the NRL needs to be clear about which locations it would like expansion teams. There are only four which should be considered imo - perth, brisbane/seqld, adelaide and nz. No point inviting bids from anywhere such as Mackay or Tasmania. If its not the right location then its not a strong bid

The more bids there are the more competition between the bids it creates, and as a product of high competition excellence arises.

But that wasn't really the point anyway, the point was that the greater community is doing exactly what you are doing right there in that post, and predefining where the next expansion clubs would/should be down to just Perth, Brisbane, SEQ, Adelaide, and NZ (outside of our little bubble on forums like this they are taking it a step further and are literally only considering Perth and Brisbane), and that is a bad thing for two reason:

1. We've only seen a tiny selection of the bids when potentially there're plenty of other ones waiting to revel themselves, so for all we know there's a bid from e.g. Cairns, as unlikely as that may be, that blows everything out of the water. So it's a bit like picking chocolate as your favourite flavour of ice cream without having tried vanilla or strawberry.

2. It creates an expectation that the next expansion clubs will come from Perth, Brisbane, etc, when that isn't necessarily true, and breaking that expectation can have serious negative effects on the fan bases of those places that expected a team.
For example, if Perth doesn't get one of the licenses in the next phase of expansion, even if it was in the sports best interest to go that route, how do you think Perth Red will react? Now imagine that reaction on a large scale with the sports fan-base within an expansion market and the damage that could do to the sport.

Aside from all that, if you pre-select where the next expansion clubs will come from you are also making Eric Perez style situations functionally impossible, and as unlikely as it may be, but if some crazy businessman, or somebody like Robert Kraft, Shad Khan, or some other crazy rich multibillionaire, or whatever, somehow discovers RL and the NRL and decides to get involved, but only on their terms, then the sport needs to be in a position to capitalise on that, and if you've decided that for the time being at least that the only expansion you'll consider is expansion from Perth and/or Brisbane, and you've told everybody that, then you aren't in a position to capitalise.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Pirates are run by the NRL WA so in effect they are run by the NRL. This pretty much means that they will be the Perth team if and when that happens. It would make no sense for the NRL to go a different way. I agree with you on getting them in ASAP - if not now then when?

That's a silly assumption to make.

If a consortium of accomplished businessmen comes along offering to pay a silly amount to secure a license, to invest all sorts of money and resources into the club and local RL, bankroll them for x amount of years, i.e. make a much better bid, then the NRL would be mad to turn them down in favour of the Pirates just because the NRL has structural link to them.

I've stated previously that I believe Redcliffe to be a certainty but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm happy whichever the NRL go with Brisbane 2 as long as it is a quality bid playing out of Suncorp Stadium.

Of which all the evidence suggests the Dolphins don't plan to do, so yeah...

flippikat

Bench

Perth has so much value (new timeslot, best juniors out of all the 'affiliated states', good sized ex-pat Kiwi/NSW/Qld community who know the game) that it's a no-brainer - and if the NRL choose any Perth bid that's not the Pirates, not only does it undermine the work done by NRLWA, it risks alienating the people in the WA league community we need to make a Perth club successful.

The 2nd expansion team - if we want an extra game each weekend - comes down to Brisbane 2, NZ 2 or Adelaide.

As good as it would be for a 2nd NZ team (keep the Warriors on their toes.. they can't expect our support by default), or Adelaide (big new market!), I honestly think broadcasters will lean on the NRL to get Brisbane 2 in.. whatever form that takes.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Perth has so much value (new timeslot, best juniors out of all the 'affiliated states', good sized ex-pat Kiwi/NSW/Qld community who know the game) that it's a no-brainer - and if the NRL choose any Perth bid that's not the Pirates, not only does it undermine the work done by NRLWA, it risks alienating the people in the WA league community we need to make a Perth club successful.

The 2nd expansion team - if we want an extra game each weekend - comes down to Brisbane 2, NZ 2 or Adelaide.

As good as it would be for a 2nd NZ team (keep the Warriors on their toes.. they can't expect our support by default), or Adelaide (big new market!), I honestly think broadcasters will lean on the NRL to get Brisbane 2 in.. whatever form that takes.
I highly doubt that the Pirates brand has any significant brand loyalty, but if there is significant brand loyalty I'd be willing to bet that not only would it largely or even mostly be aligned to the Reds brand and not the Pirates brand, but that it'd only have a serious hold within the current local RL community, which is not only a tiny minority, but also the group which is most likely to support the club at least to some degree almost no matter what the brand is.

If/when a Perth bid is granted a license, and assuming that the brand isn't absolute dog shit, all loyalties will shift from the Pirates to that brand pretty quickly, and unless the NRLWA is run by a pack of spiteful morons, I see no reason why not choosing the NRLWA backed bid undermines any of the work that the NRLWA has actually done, or why they wouldn't support the new NRL club.

Latest posts