What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

TheRam

Coach
what is this about?

His sudden endorsement of a second Brisbane team. Sticking the knife in much?

He is so predictable when things go against him. Not a very strong character if you ask me, but he demands strong ethical character behaviour from the people around him. Very hypocritical and one of the reasons a lot of people in and around the game have issues with the guy.

T-Boon

Coach

He is so predictable when things go against him. Not a very strong character if you ask me, but he demands strong ethical character behaviour from the people around him. Very hypocritical and one of the reasons a lot of people in and around the game have issues with the guy.

I see your point but maybe he always believed in the need for a second Brisbane team but never said it publicly because it would be against the interest of the Broncos. Did he ever say publicly he is against a second team, or did he just stay quiet up there.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think he is a useless coach, but he would be the perfect candidate for coach/Football Manager for Brisbane2...

What better way to declare war on the Broncos than sign Bennett and maybe even steal so Broncos players.

(Id only want to see Wango there for a year or two though when they would be shit regardless.)

flippikat

Bench
(Melbourne 2) may not happen in the next 10-20 years or whatever, but a second club in Melbourne is inevitable.

It really isn't a matter of if but when it happens, I mean in the not to distant future Melbourne is going to have a larger population than Sydney, and as market (in the sports market in particular) it's importance in the Australian context is only increasing.

Given the strength in junior numbers, the burgeoning club scene in WA AND the lucrative late TV timezone, it's possible we may see a 2nd Perth (or Freemantle?) team not too long after the Pirates join the competition.

It's an interesting argument as to whether that timezone & bigger grassroots base in WA beat Melbourne's sheer market size in getting a 2nd club first.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the strength in junior numbers, the burgeoning club scene in WA AND the lucrative late TV timezone, it's possible we may see a 2nd Perth (or Freemantle?) team not too long after the Pirates join the competition.

It's an interesting argument as to whether that timezone & bigger grassroots base in WA beat Melbourne's sheer market size in getting a 2nd club first.

Lol never going to happen. Afl suck up a huge amount of the cities corporate support which is vital to a clubs survival, we have some dedicated corporates willing to back an nrl club but let’s be realistic. One club would be a good start!

flippikat

Bench
Lol never going to happen. Afl suck up a huge amount of the cities corporate support which is vital to a clubs survival, we have some dedicated corporates willing to back an nrl club but let’s be realistic. One club would be a good start!

Hey, I realize the immediate concern is just getting ONE team in WA, but from a "maximize revenue" point of view, having a guaranteed late timeslot every week (not just every 2nd week) plus local derbies in the west (an area with a decently growing player base) are pretty compelling.

Sure, maybe not as soon as I originally pondered.. but we can't deny that other codes are looking to derbies to boost their bottom line - the question for the NRL is "After Sydney and Brisbane have multiple NRL clubs, who's next?"

jim_57

Staff member
Brisbane2/dolphins. Yes
Perth. Yes
Adelaide. Yes relocation of Sydney team
CQ. No small population
PNG. No dangerous poor 3rd world country
Central coast. Yes relocate either manly or the roosters
NZ2. Yes Christchurch
Melbourne 2. No

Dolphins - Maybe, not convinced they are definitely the best option over Western Corridor.
Adelaide - Yes, Bears.
Central Coast - 4-6 Games a year would probably be fine.
Christchurch - Maybe, again not convinced it is that clear cut over Wellington or even a 2nd Auckland Club.
Melbourne 2 - Not yet anyway.
Perth, CQ & PNG - Agreed.

jim_57

Staff member
Brisbane 3 is just a really bad idea for the foreseeable future...

Don't get me wrong I'm sure that Brisbane could support three teams and stuff, but that is beside the point. The real question is does the comp really need 3 Brisbane clubs to get the best results out of Brisbane, and I'd argue no it doesn't.

I'd argue that there're limited spaces in the comp so another market would have to miss out so Brisbane can have three clubs, and that adding a third team in Brisbane would largely just be cannibalising the other two clubs fan-bases to have a third team cause we can, and at that point you're just trading two big clubs for three smaller ones which is a dumb idea.

I do mostly agree, with spaces so limited that's why the NRL really need to get it right when it comes to picking a Brisbane 2/SEQ3 Option. Same with a NZ2 Option.

IF we ever get another 2 clubs it may be 10+years after that until we see 19&20 if we ever do. After that I could see the comp being "wrapped up" at 20 teams for the foreseeable future.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Dolphins - Maybe, not convinced they are definitely the best option over Western Corridor.
Adelaide - Yes, Bears.
Central Coast - 4-6 Games a year would probably be fine.
Christchurch - Maybe, again not convinced it is that clear cut over Wellington or even a 2nd Auckland Club.
Melbourne 2 - Not yet anyway.
Perth, CQ & PNG - Agreed.
What’s the population of the central coast? I was under the impression that it’s around 400,000+ and likely to hit 500,000 by 2030?

It always puzzles me why the northern Eagles left the central coast and went back to brookvale oval when you have a decent stadium in gosford?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I do mostly agree, with spaces so limited that's why the NRL really need to get it right when it comes to picking a Brisbane 2/SEQ3 Option. Same with a NZ2 Option.

IF we ever get another 2 clubs it may be 10+years after that until we see 19&20 if we ever do. After that I could see the comp being "wrapped up" at 20 teams for the foreseeable future.
Is it possible that the NRL could split into conferences at some point in the future? Australia seems to have a fast growing population. Especially in the big cities like Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

Having 2 conferences of say 12 teams could allow for 3 or maybe even 4 teams from NZ or a 2nd Melbourne side etc.

jim_57

Staff member
Is it possible that the NRL could split into conferences at some point in the future? Australia seems to have a fast growing population. Especially in the big cities like Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

Having 2 conferences of say 12 teams could allow for 3 or maybe even 4 teams from NZ or a 2nd Melbourne side etc.

Maybe, but again you see how long it is taking to get to 18 and there is still no set time on that actually happening.

There are much larger nations with much larger populations than Australia that don't have many more teams in their top tier comps for their most popular sports.

At this stage if it ever does get to 20 teams just in Australia/NZ then any expansion beyond that would probably have to be Internationally driven like an Asian or Hawaiian Toronto Wolfpack, or PNG/Fiji if they ever become a viable option. That or relocations within Aus/NZ keeping it at 20 teams, any more and it'd start to saturate the market in my opinion.

Diesel

Referee
Brisbane2/dolphins. Yes
Perth. Yes
Adelaide. Yes relocation of Sydney team
CQ. No small population
PNG. No dangerous poor 3rd world country
Central coast. Yes relocate either manly or the roosters
NZ2. Yes Christchurch
Melbourne 2. No
I don’t think you can move Manly from the North Shore other than centralising them around the old NS Bears area, along the lines of North Shore/Sydney Sea Eagles

ReddFelon

Juniors
Brisbane 3 is just a really bad idea for the foreseeable future...

Don't get me wrong I'm sure that Brisbane could support three teams and stuff, but that is beside the point. The real question is does the comp really need 3 Brisbane clubs to get the best results out of Brisbane, and I'd argue no it doesn't.

I'd argue that there're limited spaces in the comp so another market would have to miss out so Brisbane can have three clubs, and that adding a third team in Brisbane would largely just be cannibalising the other two clubs fan-bases to have a third team cause we can, and at that point you're just trading two big clubs for three smaller ones which is a dumb idea.

Why relocate a club to Adelaide?

I mean for a start do you really want a club that has failed in a market like Sydney at the head of such an important expansion project?

It may not happen in the next 10-20 years or whatever, but a second club in Melbourne is inevitable.

It really isn't a matter of if but when it happens, I mean in the not to distant future Melbourne is going to have a larger population than Sydney, and as market (in the sports market in particular) it's importance in the Australian context is only increasing.

I'd even suggest that the NRL should look to do a long term GWS style expansion project to Melbourne where they bankroll the club for 30+ years to establish it now so they can have a solid presence in Melbourne going forward to preempt those cultural shifts that are happening in Australia as soon as possible, but the NRL has such a shitty spread of teams in the comp population wise that it simply wouldn't be sensible for them to undertake a project like that while places like Perth, Adelaide, and multiple cities in NZ don't have clubs... It is what it is I guess.

I disagree with the notion of Melbourne being such an important sports market. Their biggest sport relies on the two Perth teams, the two Adelaide teams and the Swans to generate the bulk of their finances.

The biggest problem with the melbourne market is the same issue facing rugby league in Sydney; oversaturation. With so many teams across multiple codes, Melbourne sports fans have too many options, a second NRL team would only divide Storm supporters, it's the RL equivalent of GWS or the Suns, all it does is dilute the support base for the established expansion team.

TheRam

Coach
I see your point but maybe he always believed in the need for a second Brisbane team but never said it publicly because it would be against the interest of the Broncos. Did he ever say publicly he is against a second team, or did he just stay quiet up there.

Can't remember, but the main reason why the Broncos jumped ship and went to Super League was the fact that they were against a second team in Brisbane. Even if he was against it and privately supported a second team, he should of shown courage in his convictions and stood up for what was good and right for the game as a whole. Not kept quite so he can keep his plum job.

Besides he was the most in demand coach, so hardly doubtful that he would of suffered employment wise.

No anyway you skin this cat, it is smells of piss weak character. Do as I say, not as I do.

axl rose

Bench
Can't remember, but the main reason why the Broncos jumped ship and went to Super League was the fact that they were against a second team in Brisbane.
One of many reasons. The ARL were about the investigate them for salary cap breaches. ARL had also ruled out any chance of the GF going to Brisbane, which Ribot was pushing for.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Redcliffe will garner more support than the Bombers bid.
I'm the only one who liked their Biggles logo.
It always puzzles me why the northern Eagles left the central coast and went back to brookvale oval when you have a decent stadium in gosford?

Manly deliberately sabotaged the Northern Eagles merger with the Bears to solely win back the NRL license. Everyone hated them and they were drawing crowds of 2-3 thousand at Gosford.

King hit

Coach
One of many reasons. The ARL were about the investigate them for salary cap breaches. ARL has also ruled out any chance of the GF going to Brisbane, which Ribot was pushing for.

I always wonder what that would be like if no Queensland teams made it. The general interest dies off without a Queensland team in the finals.

Latest posts