What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
For mine Redcliffe would be a disaste. The 2nd Brisbane team needs to be playing out of Suncorp each week.

Redcliffe is also one of the largest junior rugby league clubs in North Brisbane. I grew up playing against them as do many kids. I personally can’t see most kids who grew up playing against them wanting to be Redcliffe fans.

For mine the Western Corridor bid has far greater potential.

gallagher

Juniors
$49mill revenue, $2.5million profit in 2017(after $5mill license fee to wafl) . And yes they share a stadium, that’s the point! Any new Brisbane team must play out of Suncorp if they hope to compete.
And that's all down to being the little brother? That's purely down to the popularity of AFL in Perth. Their little brother attitude has them as a joke of the town with their culture and onfield results.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
For mine Redcliffe would be a disaste. The 2nd Brisbane team needs to be playing out of Suncorp each week.

Redcliffe is also one of the largest junior rugby league clubs in North Brisbane. I grew up playing against them as do many kids. I personally can’t see most kids who grew up playing against them wanting to be Redcliffe fans.

So move away from Brisbane’s biggest nursery of junior talent ?, I also grew up playing against the dolphins lol, everyone were belted by the dolphins. For me it simply ticks the most boxes, it’s got everything.

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
North Brisbane Dolphins, would be the morso close to St.George Illawarra merger team, but games would definitely be at Suncorp minimum 8 home games a year, the remaining 4 at dolphins oval
The colors would need to not only be the red and white of redcliffe but reflect sunshine coast also, either be gold, red and white, or silver/grey, red, gold,
It has to new and far from maroon to not clash with the broncos, any upgrade to their stadium would be at there own cost, Titans should represent South Queensland, Meninga's right about a 2nd brisbane team affecting the titans
But if its a purely northern suburbs dolphins team maybe not as much

So you want to represent the Sunshine Coast with colours but play at Suncorp?? Have you ever been to QLD? Do you have any understanding as to what a monumentally difficult task it is for a Sunshine Coast resident to attend football at Suncorp?

Timbo

Staff member
I still prefer a Western Corridor bid. Revive the Wests Panthers and Clydesdales, have the Broncos cede control of the Jets to them as feeders and play their games a 9/3 split between Suncorp and Toowoomba (provided the Qld Government agrees to upgrade Clive Berghofer Stadium to ~15,000 seats).

It's an enormous catchment and huge rugby league nursery that they'd have to themselves.

MugaB

Coach
So you want to represent the Sunshine Coast with colours but play at Suncorp?? Have you ever been to QLD? Do you have any understanding as to what a monumentally difficult task it is for a Sunshine Coast resident to attend football at Suncorp?
I've been many times in and my olds live in pacific pines gold coast,
Until the QLD government can grant a stadium rebuild large enough to have Sunshine Coast as a permanent location, share Suncorp and Redcliffe oval, its more important to have a team established, than a start with the Nrl grade stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see a possible eventuality of having the Brisbane bombers group link up with Ipswich jets. Change some of the bombers brand colour to represent and have a partnership between the two groups. Would make sense, bombers have a very powerful and rich group of investors, Jets have a great feeder system and can support funding through leagues club and the SW region gets a semi neutral club to call their own. South Queensland Bombers playing out of Suncorp in nrl unique green and white brand colours.

TheFrog

Coach

Put 'em both in. The only thing to decide is which one to go with first.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
By 2035:

North Queensland Cowboys (NQ Stadium)
Redcliffe Dolphins (Dolphin Oval redeveloped to 30k built as a legacy project from RUWC, FIFAW WC & Olympic Games)
Brisbane Broncos (Suncorp)
Ipswich Jets (new Ipswich Stadium built to 25k as a legacy project from RUWC, FIFAW WC & Olympic Games)
Gold Coast Titans (Robina)

QLD done and dusted at NRL level!

flippikat

Bench
By 2035:

North Queensland Cowboys (NQ Stadium)
Redcliffe Dolphins (Dolphin Oval redeveloped to 30k built as a legacy project from RUWC, FIFAW WC & Olympic Games)
Brisbane Broncos (Suncorp)
Ipswich Jets (new Ipswich Stadium built to 25k as a legacy project from RUWC, FIFAW WC & Olympic Games)
Gold Coast Titans (Robina)

QLD done and dusted at NRL level!

Yep. This needs the ability to move blockbuster games to Suncorp.. I mean, if a Jets vs Broncos game pulls more than 25k then it should be at Suncorp - irrespective of who's "at home", yeah?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yep. This needs the ability to move blockbuster games to Suncorp.. I mean, if a Jets vs Broncos game pulls more than 25k then it should be at Suncorp - irrespective of who's "at home", yeah?

That sounds like a common sense move. It keeps the teams local but allows them to maximise crowds, memberships, corporates and sponsors.

flippikat

Bench
That sounds like a common sense move. It keeps the teams local but allows them to maximise crowds, memberships, corporates and sponsors.

Exactly. While my preference is for a 2nd Brisbane team to play out of Suncorp (existing infrastructure, making use of one of our best stadiums every week), if Brisbane is to go down the "suburban-ised" route, it needs to be part of the culture that big games still go to Suncorp.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Exactly. While my preference is for a 2nd Brisbane team to play out of Suncorp (existing infrastructure, making use of one of our best stadiums every week), if Brisbane is to go down the "suburban-ised" route, it needs to be part of the culture that big games still go to Suncorp.

I really don't see that being an issue once or twice a year for Redcliffe or Ipswich fans. It'll be an event game that would be worth the 40 min drive. There is also a direct train line from both locations to the Brisbane CBD.

flippikat

Bench
I really don't see that being an issue once or twice a year for Redcliffe or Ipswich fans. It'll be an event game that would be worth the 40 min drive. There is also a direct train line from both locations to the Brisbane CBD.

If Ipswich or Redcliffe get the nod as the next team.. I imagine for the first year or two they may play ALL their home games at Suncorp while the boutique stadium is built in their own suburb.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Q’land Govt is t spelling $250mill on an outer suburb stadium. Suggesting Redcliffe or Ipswich should be in nrl playing out of a crappy 20k stadium in the burbs is just setting it up for another Sydney scenario.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Q’land Govt is t spelling $250mill on an outer suburb stadium. Suggesting Redcliffe or Ipswich should be in nrl playing out of a crappy 20k stadium in the burbs is just setting it up for another Sydney scenario.

@flippikat

Agree with both of these statements. Initially, they will have to play out of Suncorp, there is no viable alternative for either club.

If, and this is an if we end up hosting the Olympics, the FIFA women's world cup and the RUWC, then I think it is completely plausible that the QLD Government would look to invest in stadia with a view to leaving a legacy. In that scenario, the case for these stadia to be built in Redcliffe and / or Ipswich would be seriously bolstered by the area already having an NRL team.

I agree PR, we don't want 20k suburban grounds, but I think you would be surprised, especially in the case of Redcliffe how successful they could be if they had a WSS replica on the current site of Dolphin Oval, especially after a decade or so of playing in the top flight and building a larger following of fans and sponsors. If that scenario never eventuates, then it must be Suncorp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would redcliffe face the same challenges as Manly and cronulla. Isolated communities with small populations? Seems it is a bit of an out on a limb suburban area, what is its realistic catchment population (not distance to other places per se but people that would identify with a Redcliffe dolphins side)?

siv

First Grade
I love these discussions about being too small or too close to another club

Ever been to Everton & Liverpool soccer stadiums ?

1 maybe 2 km max between them