What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reddy for the NRL

fish eel

Immortal
Gronk said:
IMHO, they should have put Luke out in the back paddock on the 'roids 10 years ago. :-$

Should have sent him to an eastern european sport....'academy' :lol:

Utey

Coach
I couldn't move Hayne from the wing, not just yet. There are so many tries not many players could score like he did. I think a full season on the wing would be good for him.

I don't think Reddy is as good as everyone makes him out to be. And if you want to argue about size, he looks like he has a very similar stature to Burt. I guess we'll find out Rd1. Iam expecting Burt to start the year in fullback barring injury.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I'll go out on a limb - Reddy is a first grade fullback at a lot of clubs outside of ours. If not then swap him to the wing for Hayne. Reddy, while not as regular a kicker as Burt at this stage, can kick goals. That is what an off season is all about - putting in the time to improve your value.

I have to disagree a little with your first comment. Look at all the clubs and their best fullback and he would not make many teams

Broncos - Hunt
Melb - Slater
Dogs- Patten
Saints - Hornby
Cowboys - Bowen
Warriors - McKinnon
Roosters - Minichello
Tigers - Hodgson
Sea Eagles - Stewart
Panthers - Wesser
Knights - Seage/ A McDougall
Souths - Peachy
Gold Coast - Probably Richie Mathers
Cronulla - D Simmons
Canberra - Maybe Goodwin
Eels - Burt (according to most people on here and apparently our coach)/Hayne (my opinion)

Hence I think his best chance of cracking first grade is prabably Parra if Hayne is not immediately our first grade fullback. I do fully agree with you however that he is a better all round fullback than Burt.

The Colonel

Immortal
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Dogs- Patten
Saints - To be confirmed - Hornby at half this season
Warriors - McKinnon
Knights - Seage/ A McDougall
Gold Coast - Probably Richie Mathers
Cronulla - D Simmons
Canberra - Maybe Goodwin

I think he could get the gig at those clubs or at least go close. Simmons, Goodwin, Seage and Mathers are either untried at the NRL level or haven't dopne anymore than Reddy has in his limited appearances. He is as good a fullback as Patten and McKinnon albeit he has different strengths compared to those players.

The Colonel

Immortal
<UPtheEELS> said:
I don't think Reddy is as good as everyone makes him out to be. And if you want to argue about size, he looks like he has a very similar stature to Burt.

Reddy is 190cm and 95kg compared to Burty who stands 178 and 85kg+. Very similar..... ;-)

Utey

Coach
The Colonel said:
Reddy is 190cm and 95kg compared to Burty who stands 178 and 85kg+. Very similar..... ;-)

Mate theres very little difference apart from height. Regardless, watch him in Premier league and the extra couple of kilos doesnt stop him from getting targeted and dominated.

strider

Post Whore
i've seen reddy play sh*thouse in PL (worse defense than burty!!!) - but he's always been solid when he has come up to NRL - maybe (as he himself said) he's the type who likes the challenge

The Colonel

Immortal
<UPtheEELS> said:
Mate theres very little difference apart from height. Regardless, watch him in Premier league and the extra couple of kilos doesnt stop him from getting targeted and dominated.

:lol:

Watch the Premier League GF. Behind Mateo he was close to next best on ground. He was bringing the ball back all day. Burty gets dominated in kick returns. He doesn't have the size to worry kick chasers and gets put on his arse. Watch the Melbourne and Broncos games where he returns the football and you'll understand what I mean. We spent more time in our twenty because of poor kick returns.

Field position is more important in todays game then being able to kick a forty twenty five or six times a year or convert a try. A good kick return average is 10+ metres per carry and Burty doesn't do that. Reddy on the other hand can do that and on a regular basis.

We struggled for field position last year and we'll do the same unless we have a fullback who is getting the ball back outside the twenty or thirty metre zone regularly.

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:
i've seen reddy play sh*thouse in PL (worse defense than burty!!!) - but he's always been solid when he has come up to NRL - maybe (as he himself said) he's the type who likes the challenge

Ever get the opportunity to watch Hindy in PL? If you did most wouldn't have wanted him in firsts......

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
:lol:

We struggled for field position last year and we'll do the same unless we have a fullback who is getting the ball back outside the twenty or thirty metre zone regularly.

Hence, Hayne is our best option.

Suity

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm one for Hayne at Fullback.

I reckon he would be as dynamic as Matty Bowen back there and would play a similar role.

I love having Tahu out in the centres but I am still not convinced that he uses his wing man well enough. Benny on the other hand uses Grothe alot better.

At present, I would give Burty the wing spot next to Tahu and get Hayne to practice his GK day in day out as I guess he will be a long term player at this club. He could break Cronin's record if he could kick goals.

Otherwise, teach Hindy to kick, he does everything else. ;-)

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
No doubt. But that doesn't seem to be the idea at the present moment........ unfortunately.

True.

if you were coach, would you start him in the number 1?

I would. Once in a 20 year talent. he is going to get the number 1 shirt eventually, why pussy foot around?

yy_cheng

Coach
I would.

For mine, the most important positions on the field are

7 or 6 depending on where your playmaker is, 9 and 1.

** Followed by Props and Centres. **

So why wouldn't you have one of your best players in these key possies?

strider

Post Whore
I get the distinct impression Burty is an outstanding trainer - hence his coaches like to reward him ... seems Hages is doing so, just as Smithy did.

TBH, I am happy to see Hages give Burty first shot at fullback and let Hayne keep doing what he's been doing - BUT if Burty struggles after about 5 rounds then I think I'd look to move Hayne back there (or Reddy if hayne is scoring a million tries on the wing)

strider

Post Whore
yy_cheng said:
I would.

For mine, the most important positions on the field are

7 or 6 depending on where your playmaker is, 9 and 1.

** Followed by Props and Centres. **

So why wouldn't you have one of your best players in these key possies?
so what you are saying is that Hindy is just there to make up the numbers :lol: :lol: ;-)

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
True.

if you were coach, would you start him in the number 1?

I would. Once in a 20 year talent. he is going to get the number 1 shirt eventually, why pussy foot around?

Happily.

yy_cheng

Coach
Well he is our pseudo prop, our pseudo captain, our pseudo cover defense so why not our gk'er?

Latest posts