What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reddy for the NRL

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
No one said he wouldn't eventually, the problem is, is he ready for fullback just yet?

I don't think he is, that's why i would start him either in the centres which i cannot understand the reaction on this board as he'd make a fine centre.

He reminds me of Tahu, and we all know how well Tahu now goes in the centres since he was switched from the wing, Hayne would be know different.
As i posted i wouldn't mind seeing Reddy get first crack at fullback, Hayne would make a very good centre but you could put him anywhere from 1 - 5 and he'd do a great job. he's just a natural footballer but down the track you would have to say his best spot is fullback.

lucablight

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
Your kidding right?:lol:

If that was the case Matt Petersen would've been our fullback years ago:lol:

Just have to think about to junior league when my coach use to say "ok, who cant tackle? ok then you go on one wing and you on the other" lol

Fullback is an isolated position, wing isn't as you support inside you, how you find defending on the wing harder then fullback has me stumped:?

No I'm not. Petersen was never fullback because Mckinnon was a far better player. If it's so easy do defend on the wing then why are so many tries scored through there? On the wing you have to choose whether to come in or stay out and many players are exposed this way because they don't know what to do. Take a look at the modern players today and you'll see most fullbacks are alot smaller than most wingers. Sometimes fullbacks can go through an entire game without making a tackle. As Strider said alot of the time a fullback would have no hope in a one on one situation anyway. Can you explain to me how fullbacks are isolated 10m out from a tryline and wingers aren't?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
lucablight said:
No I'm not. Petersen was never fullback because Mckinnon was a far better player. If it's so easy do defend on the wing then why are so many tries scored through there? On the wing you have to choose whether to come in or stay out and many players are exposed this way because they don't know what to do. Take a look at the modern players today and you'll see most fullbacks are alot smaller than most wingers. Sometimes fullbacks can go through an entire game without making a tackle. As Strider said alot of the time a fullback would have no hope in a one on one situation anyway. Can you explain to me how fullbacks are isolated 10m out from a tryline and wingers aren't?

Then how come teams hide the likes of Tim Smith, Benji Marshall & Preston on the wing? why not fullback?

Game Set Match

Fullbacks should always be better denfenders, as in a one on one situation they're looked upon to make try saving tackles, why would you put a crap defender at fullback?...you wouldn't! you'd hide on the wing...just like Benji does.

Anywhere on the football field a try can be scored, it's just most tries are scored in the backline as a backline was designed to be the creative part of a side. Otherwise we'd just have 13 forwards runnign around, backline players are generally quicker and more skillfull, hence why more tries are scored.

But if a winger misses a tackle who is the next line of defense to stop that try, a fullback.

And alot of fullbacks are 6'0 or over

- Luke Patten
- Greg Inglis
- Billy Slater
- Hunt
- Shifcoske
- Peachy

lucablight

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
Then how come teams hide the likes of Tim Smith, Benji Marshall & Preston on the wing? why not fullback?

Game Set Match

Fullbacks should always be better denfenders, as in a one on one situation they're looked upon to make try saving tackles, why would you put a crap defender at fullback?...you wouldn't! you'd hide on the wing...just like Benji does.

Anywhere on the football field a try can be scored, it's just most tries are scored in the backline as a backline was designed to be the creative part of a side. Otherwise we'd just have 13 forwards runnign around, backline players are generally quicker and more skillfull, hence why more tries are scored.

But if a winger misses a tackle who is the next line of defense to stop that try, a fullback.

And alot of fullbacks are 6'0 or over

- Luke Patten
- Greg Inglis
- Billy Slater
- Hunt
- Shifcoske
- Peachy

I don't recall Tim Smith ever defending on the wing. Marshall and Campbell were hidden on the wing because they wouldn't have to make as many tackles. When they eventually tried to alot of the times they struggled defensively and many fans and commentators were saying it was a bad idea because of the reasons I mentioned above. Also if you put them at fullback where is the actual fullback going to defend? It would be far too disruptive to make the fullback defend in the frontline and then have them going back to retrieve the ball for kick returns.

If a winger misses a tackle the scenario that usually follows is a try being scored especially if it's near the tryline. It has already been stated there's not much a fullback can do if he has 3 people in open space charging at him.

As for alot of fullbacks being 6 ft and over have you compared their weights to some of the wingers going around? Out of that list Inglis would be the only one over 90kg and Slater and Hunt are terrible defenders anyway. (btw Slater isn't over 6 ft). Compare that to wingers like Grothe, King, Vatuvei, Tupou who played in the Tri nations this year are all close to 100kg. How many small wingers can you name? In fact if you watched the origin series last year one of the main points Phil Gould kept bringing up was the lack of the size of the QLD outside backs compared to NSW. I don't know about you but if I was Brett Hodgson I would much rather be playing at fullback than marking someone like an Eric Grothe. Why are guys like Wesser, Bowen, Hodgson, Thaiday all playing at fullback rather than on the wing if it's harder to defend there?

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
lucablight said:
I don't recall Tim Smith ever defending on the wing. Marshall and Campbell were hidden on the wing because they wouldn't have to make as many tackles. When they eventually tried to alot of the times they struggled defensively and many fans and commentators were saying it was a bad idea because of the reasons I mentioned above. Also if you put them at fullback where is the actual fullback going to defend? It would be far too disruptive to make the fullback defend in the frontline and then have them going back to retrieve the ball for kick returns.

If a winger misses a tackle the scenario that usually follows is a try being scored especially if it's near the tryline. It has already been stated there's not much a fullback can do if he has 3 people in open space charging at him.

As for alot of fullbacks being 6 ft and over have you compared their weights to some of the wingers going around? Out of that list Inglis would be the only one over 90kg and Slater and Hunt are terrible defenders anyway. (btw Slater isn't over 6 ft). Compare that to wingers like Grothe, King, Vatuvei, Tupou who played in the Tri nations this year are all close to 100kg. How many small wingers can you name? In fact if you watched the origin series last year one of the main points Phil Gould kept bringing up was the lack of the size of the QLD outside backs compared to NSW. I don't know about you but if I was Brett Hodgson I would much rather be playing at fullback than marking someone like an Eric Grothe. Why are guys like Wesser, Bowen, Hodgson, Thaiday all playing at fullback rather than on the wing if it's harder to defend there?

yeh slater is closer to 4 foot

and thaiday is a freakin prop

cardinal

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
But Paul Taylor did make many tackles from fullback when he played in that position

The fact is that Paul Taylor made a sh*t load of tackles while wearing the number 1 on his back, but in defence he was in the front line and told by Jack to tackle untill he dropped while Sterling went back to fullback, in attack the roll reversed. So technically he was fullback but defending as a forward.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
lucablight said:
I don't recall Tim Smith ever defending on the wing. Marshall and Campbell were hidden on the wing because they wouldn't have to make as many tackles.

Thats is bs, everyone knows why they're put on the wing it is to hide them in defense so no one runs at them.

Then why not play them at fullback. Didn't you mention in an earlier post that some fullbacks don't even have to make a tackle all game?

Close to the line? what about anywhere not close to the line?

And if a winger does miss a tackle generally the fullback is the last line of defense. Probably the reason why Burt has found it hard to cement a position there as he's vunerable in defense hence leaving him on the wing when not as much is at stake.

Mckinnons contribution to our side over the last few years is amazing, are you saying he hasn't saved bugger all tries? he probably has saved us a good 100 tries in the past 3 years at least! compar ethat to Grothe who probably has let in close to that mark!

And it shows you why you do need a good fullback when three blokes are charging at you. As Lockyer has shown in the past you can hold up in the last line of defense long enough for a teammate to come and assist.

As for alot of fullbacks being 6 ft and over have you compared their weights to some of the wingers going around? Out of that list Inglis would be the only one over 90kg and Slater and Hunt are terrible defenders anyway. (btw Slater isn't over 6 ft).

Like most players in backlines they're not significantly heavier then one another as speed and mobility is essential to the backline, not weight. Generally players who weigh alot inveitably end up in the forwards.

And Slater is 5'11 lol and Hunt is a great defender. And i wouldn't bet seeing that Slater is moved to wing this year because Inglis is a better defender, actually i'm sure Slater played some wing last year?

Compare that to wingers like Grothe, King, Vatuvei, Tupou who played in the Tri nations this year are all close to 100kg.

Apart from King they're three of the worst defenders in the comp lol. Grothe has never played fullback because defensively and his positional play can be attrocius at times.

How many small wingers can you name? In fact if you watched the origin series last year one of the main points Phil Gould kept bringing up was the lack of the size of the QLD outside backs compared to NSW.

Off the top of my head?

Elmasri, Matt Petesen, Luke Burt, Nathan Merrit, Jason Robinson, Matt Utai, Brian Carney, Matt Sing, Ty Williams.

I don't know about you but if I was Brett Hodgson I would much rather be playing at fullback than marking someone like an Eric Grothe. Why are guys like Wesser, Bowen, Hodgson, Thaiday all playing at fullback rather than on the wing if it's harder to defend there?

Much the same reason why they hide Marshall, Smith & Campbell on the wings?

All the players you mentioned play a 5/8 role in the side aswell, aswell as that look at Bowen for an example, a speed bump everyone knows that, but his involment in attack adds alot more to a side when he plays fullback, if he was moved to the wing he wouldn't be as involved as he is at fullback.

Size isn't everything in RL, it helps, but at NRL level you are expected to defend against big blokes.

Look at this for an example

- Chad Robinson
- Nathan Hindmarsh
- Moi Moi
- Gallen
- Nutley
- Dean Young

These guys are either under 6' or just above, yet they play in the forwards, yes the forwards where they are facing the likes of Mason, Bailey, Ryles etc. If you think size matters on the wing, dont you think it would be even needed more in the forwards.

Eelementary

Post Whore
yy_cheng said:
I would like to add How You use your size is very important

Indeed - O'Meley and Moimoi are great examples. Big men, by all means - but compared to the SBW's, the Masons, the Clintons...They're not so big. But they play like they're 10 feet tall.

lucablight

First Grade
Thats is bs, everyone knows why they're put on the wing it is to hide them in defense so no one runs at them.

Then why not play them at fullback. Didn't you mention in an earlier post that some fullbacks don't even have to make a tackle all game?

I have already stated why they are hidden on the wing as opposed to fullback. You should read more carefully.

Close to the line? what about anywhere not close to the line?

And if a winger does miss a tackle generally the fullback is the last line of defense. Probably the reason why Burt has found it hard to cement a position there as he's vunerable in defense hence leaving him on the wing when not as much is at stake.

Mckinnons contribution to our side over the last few years is amazing, are you saying he hasn't saved bugger all tries? he probably has saved us a good 100 tries in the past 3 years at least! compar ethat to Grothe who probably has let in close to that mark!

And it shows you why you do need a good fullback when three blokes are charging at you. As Lockyer has shown in the past you can hold up in the last line of defense long enough for a teammate to come and assist.

Alot of people would say that Burt is a better fullback than Winger because he isn't put under as much pressure in defence. Tell me which scenario is more common? A winger having to defend against a team spreading the ball out wide or a fullback having to make a one on one tackle?
Like most players in backlines they're not significantly heavier then one another as speed and mobility is essential to the backline, not weight. Generally players who weigh alot inveitably end up in the forwards.

And Slater is 5'11 lol and Hunt is a great defender. And i wouldn't bet seeing that Slater is moved to wing this year because Inglis is a better defender, actually i'm sure Slater played some wing last year?

Slater did play on the wing last year and pretty much every commentator mentioned how clueless he was in defence. He was back at fullback by the grand final.

Elmasri, Matt Petesen, Luke Burt, Nathan Merrit, Jason Robinson, Matt Utai, Brian Carney, Matt Sing, Ty Williams.

Still bigger than the smallest fullbacks.

All the players you mentioned play a 5/8 role in the side aswell, aswell as that look at Bowen for an example, a speed bump everyone knows that, but his involment in attack adds alot more to a side when he plays fullback, if he was moved to the wing he wouldn't be as involved as he is at fullback.

Way to contradict yourself. How do Marshall, Campbell and supposedly Tim Smith all play in at five eighth/halfback if they have to defend on the wing?

cardinal

Juniors
Preston and other 5/8 or halves have been hidden on the wing in defence while playing their normal position in attack. Burt makes errors in defence on the wing by not reading the play well and he makes them at fullback as well by not being a strong enough front on defender. Both positions are critical in defence but without dought the hardest tackle to make is a front on one and that happens more to a fullback than a winger. There is a endless list of great defensive fullbacks who are noticed many times in a game making crucial tackles, because often that is how tries are scored, the line been broken. I don't think you could list the same amount of good defensive wingers.

yy_cheng

Coach
Grothe Snr was an excellent cover defender. I still remember a many a times where the opposition makes a break and it's shut the gates but then you would see Grothe Snr coming from the other side of the field to chop him down.

A winger however, has the luxury of the fullback to hopefully correct his mistake.

cardinal

Juniors
yy_cheng said:
Grothe Snr was an excellent cover defender. I still remember a many a times where the opposition makes a break and it's shut the gates but then you would see Grothe Snr coming from the other side of the field to chop him down.

A winger however, has the luxury of the fullback to hopefully correct his mistake.

He sure was, what a sight it was the big man coming from the clouds to save a try, but I think if you asked any present or past player they would say a front on tackle is harder than a covering one, and that is what often faces a fullback.

lucablight

First Grade
My main point is how many times a game on average does a winger need to know whether to come in or stay out? Compare that to the number of times a fullback would be asked to make a one on one tackle. You can be badly exposed when defending on the wing which is why so many wingers have bad reputations as defenders.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Comparing the defensive arts of fullbacks to those of wingers is like comparing the defense of props as opposed to that of second-rowers - sure, props usually come up against props, and that would make tackles harder in which to be dominant. But at the end of the day, they each have a job to do - a slightly different job.

Burt, well...He's pretty good in attack. Defensively, he's not too great.

Hayne is a freak and can play anywhere.

But we have to accept that, at least for the start of the season, Burt will be fullback.

Latest posts