What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Geez, Buzz is not doing well in the comments section of his report on 'riseforCameron', seems the Smellygraph will print anything even if it means deriding the 'most feared League reporter' . . . must admit he is scary, I'd be shaking in his presence

POPEYE

Coach
Must be an omen, last night's storm here in the bush has for some reason resulted in no more Ch9 or it's affiliates on my tv, every other channel including Fox on Tbox is perfect. Asked the missus is there anything that she desperately needs to watch on 9, she said no so I won't bother trying to remedy the situation . . . footy gods work in mysterious ways

POPEYE

Coach
No secret I want any of Titans/Warriors/Cowboys/Sharks to win the cup and things are progressing as well as can be expected, out of the four the Sharks top my wish list. Reminds me of another Connolly story as an analogy

A wrestling announcer steps into the middle of the ring and declares that anyone who can last a round against Ivan The Terrible will win a year's supply of Guiness. Crowd is silent except for a wee Scotsman in a kilt, 'I'll have a go' he says and so up he steps

Bell rings and immediately Ivan throws the little bloke to the canvas and grips him in a half pretzel, the crowd groans, then the full pretzel from which no-one has ever escaped. The crowd gasps as the poor twisted Scotsman fights for breath, his body parts in disarray

Suddenly an agonising scream and Ivan flies through the air and lands 10 rows back in the crowd rendering him unconscious. Amid the cheering the announcer holds up the hand of the little man and asks him 'How the f**k did you do that?'

The Scotsman says 'It's amazing how much strength comes to you when you bite your own balls'

Appears the Sharks may make more of adversity than anyone imagined, if they get anywhere near the top 4 at year's end Flanagan can stand tall

POPEYE

Coach
"They're a good team and anything can happen with Shaun Johnson there" says Dylan Napa talking about the upcoming Roosters/Warriors game, the exact point I've been making in my harsh judgement of the bloke. When Johnson finally becomes a top echelon #7 by adding cunning to his repertoire the Warriors will be unstoppable even by Thurston

The Warriors are slowly becoming less reliant on Shaun, their game used to live and die with his decisions but there are other players in the team beginning to compensate if an 'off day cloud' hangs over his head. Where once the rule was 'get the ball to Shaun' it's definitely now 'Shaun, get the ball to the runners', barging is becoming redundant

No-one other than a one-eyed Warrior supporter wants them to take out the cup more than I and I want to see Johnson sending his support through gaps rather than pass for the sake of it. Imo he's becoming more consistent with each game and I look forward to the day when wankers start calling it unfair that the Warriors have too much ammunition

POPEYE

Coach
What was the excuse for the Dogs not playing the Eels at home, can't be relevant anyway, Todd couldn't know Arthur would have his mob flying high at the head of the river could he. Parra have no right to win but I'll make sure I watch . . . just to test out my Doggie jinx

If Melbourne make the finals I'll be happy, who said 8 is not a good number. Bellamy is resorting to saying he may continue further as coach to get his mob enthused about the rest of the year. If that doesn't work he could threaten to poach elite players next year to stir the pot . . . hopefully not. Penrith a big chance the way things have been going

My Man Baptiste to halfback sounds exciting, at least we can't say that halves pairing is not livewire, he and Austin may keep the Sharks guessing long enough to forget their mission. Must watch game imo

Do or die for the Titans, Gidley is playing so they might have a chance

Dragons/Rabbitohs, a tie for match of the round on paper if only to see if they both struggle to a win or offer a resurgence to beat a resurgence. Can't see the 3rd alternative happening, one flogging the other. Tim Grant is an ESL player in the making, a jinx if ever there was one but maybe Creagh will make up for it if he decides to pussy around again

Roosters/Warriors the real match of the round if neither decide to have one of their occasional days off. The bookies love these two, the only good bet will be that one of the two won't turn up the way they should . . . could be a blockbuster though

Broncos should enjoy their training run since Farah is not playing . . . that could be another Connolly joke

If Brookie saves the Seagles from a full strength Cowboys outfit Toovey's mob will be as good as reincarnated . . . full charge ahead. Maybe Matai can dogshot Thurston early and the Green & Carty Show might bog down in the swamp

POPEYE

Coach
I reckon Sandow would do well in England if the Idigenous trait of not liking to be far away from their families doesn't interfere. The Poms don't have show pony referees and try to keep the game flowing, Chris would thrive in games where broken play is the norm and defence doesn't have the constant stoppages it needs to get reset

NRL clubs are becoming reliant on penalties against them, the bleeding heart story about the Roosters being picked on doesn't seem to worry Robbo too much, he only has to look at points for and against to reassure himself. Imo he preaches strict adherence to the game plan, don't let penalties get in the way and if they must be given away so be it . . . nothing wrong with that.

Referees may subconsciously believe the Roosters are bad boys and don't deserve to receive penalties but that doesn't worry Robbo either, reinforcing 'us against the world' is worth the drama

If we had referees like Richard Silverwood who can control a game by himself teams that rely on getting their defence reset time and again by any means possible might struggle more. Robbo teaches his players to go with the punches, count on them being thrown but most of all he has retaliation on the scoreboard an instinctive art form

POPEYE

Coach
Wouldn't mind betting that Arthur can't wait to see the back of Sandow, just as Maguire can't wait to see the back of Luke, Isaac and Chris are players that suffer badly from footy menstruation, every day has to be a good day or they drop their bundle

Madge has put up with Luke's ups and downs for years, some of it not his own making to be fair but he'll never be one of the greatest #9's until he finds consistency. Arthur is just doing the best with what he can't change, what you see from him now and until the administration shit is cleaned up is a fight to save financial ruin . . . not his job but shit happens

Speaking of #9's, the greatest in the history of the game is preparing for his 300th game, all the believers who carry a footy bible and worship rubbish like 'immortals/dally m's/origin/golden boot' etc only care about the aesthetics. I look at the number of games finished as they started, minutes played, tackles made, influence affected when I see Cam Smith

Fmd, anyone can rock up in footy gear for 300 games and do enough to keep his spot, This bloke makes a minimum 100 metres every game by taking one step forward from dummy half alone. 300 Spartans supposedly held off many times their enemy but in truth there were 4000 forgotten allies who helped them, in Rugby League just as in battle numbers mean sweet f**k all compared to effort

POPEYE

Coach
Well , that's a pleasant surprise, not the fact that Melbourne may not run away with their tail between their legs but the way Asofa-Solomona and Welch stepped up to the mark. I always thought Bellamy would brow beat his mob into a couple of face saving performances before season's end but I had doubts he could prolong the effort with a tired crew

One thing for sure, Koroibete is every bit as important to Melbourne as Marcus Bai was in his day, you can't buy inspiration, especially for a coach who didn't know if he was Arthur or Mary before last night. Koroibete can be classed as a 'new boy' and they're the blokes Melbourne need right now.

Being a key warehouse for NZ and Qld Origin is one thing but the little factory in the corner needs to keep turning out fine products, can't have yet another quality manufacturer being sacrificed to vulturistic importers

Also can't wait to see limited interchange get past Toddy, I watched parts of the Dogs game, enough to see Kasiano limp from the field after he got tired of falling on players after they were tackled . . . he along with the comedy team of Cummins & James should be shipped off to the NFL soap opera

POPEYE

Coach
Incompetent refereeing made the Canberra/Cronulla a great game to watch, who f**king cares unless you're a supporter of either team

POPEYE

Coach
The easiest way to snap a man into reality is tell him his ticker is playing up and he has to go in for observation so the most significant thing that happened last night in Newcastle is Gagai finding out he's ok for the time being

There will be histrionics from the same quarter that belittled Mary at the beginning of the season but I saw nothing in the Dragons effort last night for concern. The fact the cup drinkers from last year finally pulled their finger out against a Dragon outfit trying to get their crew shipshape only meant we watch a great game of footy . . . something we should be thankful for instead of looking for holes to shit in

Less said about the Sharks/Raiders game the better, it was exciting as all games of League should be, it's a crying shame the players alone weren't left to decide the outcome . . . the team I wanted to win did so but I have no f**king idea which team deserved to win

POPEYE

Coach
Nothing happened yesterday that wasn't a surprise but I could be wrong, I only watched 10 minutes of the Warriors/Roosters game before my dog dragged me away to chase ball

POPEYE

Coach
As far as I'm concerned there are only two current players who team mates consider essential to their own careers, as such whatever they are paid is of no consequence. Rightly or wrongly explained away by mathematics DCE is not one of them. He will never be affected only by Kryptonite, never be considered untouchable in his position and most importantly never be placed on a pedestal by everyone that plays with him

Imo, unless he can stay on the field and fight through almost every adversity he will do Manly more harm than good. Players that have good and bad days, and there are a few that are overrated when the good is praised and the bad are ignored, will not receive the blessing of everyone they play with.

Manly put up a fine effort last night, if they hadn't of been forced to deal with DCE's imperfection episode anything could have happened . . . imagine if Thurston was equally as vulnerable

POPEYE

Coach
I'd have to leave that up to you, I'm not really into queer music . . . more of a Gary Moore type rest his soul

POPEYE

Coach
I didn't even know Jack Reed was suspended, probably because the Broncos are a little ho-hum atm, winning becomes boring when other teams are struggling that you don't want to struggle. Sezer is going to bless us with his presence so the Titans might make a game of it

If the halves were swapped between Roosters/Tigers this game would be worth watching

If all goes to form the Seagles will catch Shaun on the up . . . Toovey must have killed a chinaman in past life

The Dragons have to bounce back very soon but Storm at home might see them continue momentum, whatever happens I'll be pissed to see one lose, can't we have a draw . . . f**k golden point, bury it with Immortals in the Dick Pullen family plot

If Luke's heart is in it the Knight's are ratshit, if not the Knight's are ratshit. Perfect scenario for an upset, a rare bird lately

Why is it Raiders' games are must watch, Penrith at home as well, should be a scintillating game. Shit, just saw McCrone is #7. . . can't wait to hear someone say 'bet responsibly'. Never know, Austin might run amok while McCrone confuses the other 33

If the Sharks can get up where infidels fear to tread I might shop around for a jersey

The Green & Carty Show could have stand-ins in this week, surely any niggling injuries could be rested against the Eels who look like a f**king train wreck

POPEYE

Coach
hi pops, MJ here, would you prefer to be shat on by a female, or pissed on by a guy? thanks in advance.

I feel a little sorry for you ol' mate if they're the choices that affect your life, explains why you are what you are . . . who was the woman that turned you, tough mum perhaps