What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Can't learn much from the first round of a season, the standout would be how dumb the NRL are playing a game in the hottest part of the day. Raiders' fans stayed home in droves when a 9.20 start would have been a nice balmy night out in a packed stadium. Everyone tried to impress as best they could, I always suspect adverse playing conditions first when I see injuries, players need to remain alert in a sport that revolves around collision.

Anyway, amongst the highs and lows in Canberra Will Smith was my most notable. Raiders made it hard for themselves when even a 70m line dropout still had Penrith back on their line in one set of 6. Sticky needs to teach his mob a straight line in defence is not enough, they need to move forward to meet the attack. Still, a most enjoyable game from in front of an air conditioner for supporters of both teams

Euphoria got the better of the Tigers, at half time I imagined Farah and Brooks might storm home to pack their bags, alas their silly grins remained at days end. They won't be needed however if Taylor can teach this mob how to play two 40 minute games. The Warriors are still rudderless, any direction Robson may have added is f**ked over by Johnson's indirection

Cowboys winning never looked in doubt, Sharks have a Dad's Army look about them and Barba's one centimetre tall pedestal epitomises a shithouse positional array . . . Green should be pleased with yet another successful training run

POPEYE

Coach
As the injury toll rises we're destined to hear more whinging about lessened interchange, I remember the days when cars like the Phase III were trying to win at Bathurst using 38% of their engine capacity potential, brakes and handling made the difference. RL players of today are like cars of today, they are tuned to the limit and have to hit something to be stopped

In the old days players had to be rugged, not good enough to just be an athlete where harm's way was not an issue, no-one waiting to tackle you as you turned the bend. The real athletes in RL that are regarded as game changers don't get interchanged, so why should the increasingly fragile of our game be pitted against a barrage of fresh meatheads

If the NRL want the cup to be contested by the most constructive players it has to remove the brick walls, gang tackling has to be made detrimental to a team's chances of staying fresh. If concentrating on training players to avoid injury by fine tuning their bodies is the new main priority then making gang tackling a needless waste of energy is a no brainer . . . no better way than reducing interchange . . . the less the better

POPEYE

Coach
Kind of got my wish, the Dragon/Storm game was close but did Mann and Dugan finalise their positions. If either had of found their way over the line in the last few minutes only a diehard Melbourne supporter could have imagined the resultant cacophony . . . 4 points would have had Mary exultant instead of reticent and Bellamy . . .

Injuries are what really mattered, have both teams finished the game no worse than exhausted? If so they have finished far better off than the table suggests. Dragon supporters should feel just as confident as I do for both teams

POPEYE

Coach
Up for a leak but again can't go back to sleep, someone has to pay so here goes. I was thinking of what will undoubtedly be another RL season turned into a lottery by injuries, maybe I could go on about it ad nauseum like I do other subjects I feel strongly about.

Take for instance ol' mate Sezer who I've never been in raptures about while others have, imo the reason the Titans have been a whipping boy is because of blokes like him, teams will not succeed with part time players. This is not an 'I told you so' because I'm the same person who said Tedesco was a waste of money because he was an accident waiting to happen . . . last year proved me wrong

I'm going to try my best not to be so cynical when it comes to injuries, I can afford to do that because I follow 15 teams with interest, unlike Raiders supporters I can move on for the time being. A lot of 'shit happens' occurs in RL, won't do anyone any good if I persevere in reminding people that players get paid if they play or not.

The less games they play the easier to impress, no better way to excuse absence than instill supporter anticipation for the next appearance. Don't mind me, I'm just having a facetious vs sarcastic moment, why should I care if Adam Reynolds thinks he needs to prove he can go with the big blokes . . . throw caution to the wind when the penalty for it is merely a hiatus

POPEYE

Coach
Apologies for the previous post negativity, after all RL is the survival of the fittest, so what if some players aren't fit to be a survivor. Tuesday again already, time to press on, rather than imagine which players won't survive the Dogs/Panthers game intact I'm keen to see how Will Smith progresses. Although the Dogs have probably been the most impressive coming into the round I've no interest in how they fare

Mark my words, the Warriors will put in a handful of good performances this year, if Brisbane let this be one of those times it will be a turn up for a hard cover, forget the paperback . . . Bodene on my watchlist

I'd put SKD at Fullback and Ferguson where he belongs if the Roosters are afraid to give Mitchell a shot at a Raiders in disarray . . . what better time for Latrell to embark on the Inglis road. Still, two teams as settled as a cat on a hot tin roof should make a good contest

If the Rabbitohs progress from a part time halves combination they could be the team to beat, imagine them walking off the field most games without having to restructure the brains trust for the next. Cody Walker has to be the main attraction here, Knights don't look to have found a life preserver to hang on to

Cowboys biggest threat is complacency with Norman/Foran a distant second. My hope is than the Eels halves stay healthy and lay the foundations, talk of a new stadium will beg the question 'why the f**k' if they don't. I don't mind the NQ slow starts, if it makes games like this a contest why not

Sharks/Dragons could've been the match of the round except I have no faith in Barba or Townsend . . . my fingers are crossed for Dragon momentum

Zillman is another Titan connection that like Sezer they can do without, if ever a team shouldn't change a winning combination it's the Titans. They need to leave winners grinners . . . forget the f**king temporaries. Melbourne have to remember how to play for the 80 like they used to

Seagles/Tigers has to be match of the round even if Brooks is playing

JamesRustle

First Grade
Went to the game on Monday and enjoyed the footy.. for my first game of the season, not the result! Thought the game was reasonable quality and both teams were in it to the death.

I was struck by the histrionics of Smith, getting stuck into the ref after Frizzell's try. Now Smith has always been cagey and generally knows how to speak to refs, but I thought he was looser than usual. With age, I wonder if he thinks his skills are beginning to fade and needs to step up his aura of influence, or whether this was a one off.

It's actually one of my pet hates that players get in the refs face... and refs take it. I'd love to see refs push back for a month to all the usual suspects and see if we can't get the refs and players ocussing on their respective roles. Give me a bit of "I've made my decision no. 9 so get back and let's get on with the game". Refs seem to have lost respect.

POPEYE

Coach
Most people will tell you Smith has too much control over referees because his IQ is greater than theirs. The penalty count when it mattered should tell you he hasn't lost his touch, Melbourne were looking shaky and Smith reminding the refs a player can't use his hands on anything other than the ball when scoring a try achieved more than you think

When he does come up with the occasional rant the refs listen, they even excuse themselves or sometimes apologise, something James Graham has a snowball's hope in hell of achieving. I know Smith was making sure something was stored in the memory bank for later consideration, the Dragons weren't about to lie down and he had to do something about their momentum

I have a Foxie that if you raise a hand to he will bend to your wishes, if you actually hit him he will growl, hit him twice and he will attack. Smith is Captain of the Storm because everyone listens to him, when he tells players to do what Cronk says no-one argues. He only manipulates the refs when he has a good argument, every Captain should follow his lead

I'm bias by the way, I consider Smith the best RL player on the planet and the first picked before daylight in any team of mine. If you think his skills are diminishing in any way at all I truly sympathise for the next best in his position

JamesRustle

First Grade
Smith is a champion, no two ways about it. Age catches up with all and champions respond how they know best... in saying that, he is in the stage of his career wher I think the gap will be closing.. this year or over the next couple... Cam will know. The arm throwing was new I thought, hence the observation.

POPEYE

Coach
Corey Thompson playing ESL may beggar belief, if there's 32 better wingers in the NRL I'm not here, there was however a greater irony to behold in the Widnes/Hull game. The Warriors buying Sam Tomkins when they didn't need him but a player like Kevin Brown, #6 for Widnes, is still playing ESL when the Warriors don't have any genuine halves

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm going to put this here as well in case you miss it Popeye.

Shaun Johnson is slightly heavier than James, almost as quick, has a far better sidestep, could learn to defend at least as well and makes as lousy a half as James would . . . bet Shaun could win Centre Of The Year just as easily

Of course, but if Shaun was a lousy half, he could move to fullback with his ball skills (ability to catch kicked balls) and dominate from there like an All Time Great. Can you imagine his sidestep return on long kicks. Or his ability to run through traffic when collecting grubbers. Let alone his link in support speed in the middle and his ball playing ability wide of the ruck.

Instead, he seeks to improve as a half.

I'm not sure how many halves running around are better than Shaun Johnson - I certainly like him and feel confident when he is playing for the Kiwis against Australia. But the Kiwis pack is not the same as the Warriors pack. That should not be a total assessment on Shaun's ability. Put him behind the Cows pack with Hannant, Scott, Tamau and Taumololo, and give him Morgan in support. See what gives. Put him behind the current Doggies pack with either Reynolds or Moses Mbye - they'd be premiership favourites.

Because Shaun Johnson in the halves, is a massive reason why the Kiwis are the #1 football team in rugby league. His brilliance rewards the dominant work of Taumololo, Bromwich, Eastwood, Tapau, Proctor, Tohu Harris and Matulino.

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
They keep talking up Corey Oates as a back rower, that would not only be a waste but a ticket to oblivion for the bloke. He runs and fends like Ribot did, a touch more aggression which will develop in the short term should have him playing on the wing for Australia just as Ribot did. Where are you Roy, write the bloke up ffs

Last word on Shaun, from here on I'll try to ignore him, his choices behind the line are abysmal and only when attacking the line does he take full advantage like a good Centre should. The only time he shines consistently in the halves is when he plays for NZ just as Olsen Filipaina did, he needs the forwards to steamroll the opposition to do that

The Warriors more than held their own against Brisbane, even though Robson tried to break through the halves pairings were the difference. Speaking of which Milford, who was never anything but a prospective NRL 5/8, without doubt will soon combine with Hunt to be the best since Cronk & Thurston

Spare a thought for McFadden, he can do no more with the players he's got, like a poor sod with dry balls he can just keep pumping away . . . probably wishing he could still play

POPEYE

Coach
The game of Rugby League's worst enemy is the NRL. From introducing a salary cap to 'create fairness' and then refuse to facilitate iconic one club players, the epitome of equality, to the simple act of not allowing a drinks break even when spectators stay at home because of the heat . . . incompetency saturates the game's governing body

Poll supporters of the game and tally who gives a f**k if the Eels paid Hayne too much to remain an icon, someone other clubs did nothing to deserve. If ever a game needed to be won by Parramatta it was last night, the result was as equivocal as the Eureka Stockade and we all should be appreciative of the fight against adversity

Last night the Roosters were overcome by nappy rash, the Cowboys by hiccups and the Knights by the third round 'team to beat for the cup'. I wonder if Cody Walker was born with the scowl, maybe it will help him stay injury free, if he does Souths will be the team no-one wants to play . . . Reynolds and Keary can arm wrestle for one spot

and Kudos to Sticky, either he has finally mastered the art of coaching or the Footy God is as flexible as Jared Maxwell

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Parramata have belief this year and Norman & Foran (even sounds like a partnership), Roosters will improve but maybe not enough, and while Souths are on a roll they are yet to come up against any real competition.

It will remain to be seen if success goes to Sticky's head.
Methinks Walker's scowl might be permanent, a good player but being moved on from Mexico could be an indication, let's hope maturity gets a look in.

Early days and it will be an interesting season ahead.

POPEYE

Coach
I was hoping for Mary's sake Dugan would be a better Centre than Fullback but alas not so, one consolation for me is that if he is returned to Fullback he will undoubtedly be picked by Daley, I'd rather not see the better Morris play #1 for NSW

I was also hoping Mann left Melbourne because like Widdop he thought the opportunities would be better elsewhere, seems he's most suited to a position that will always have others in front of him and it's not Fullback. The bloke never looks at ease, my guess is he's an underachiever mainly because he is swamped by his own expectations

Cody Walker on the other hand methinks has a tattooed scowl because at 26 he could have been an established Panther or Stormer but for some reason unbeknown to most has not been seen as being in the right place at the right time. June '14 had Blake Green resigning from Wigan and Walker signing for Souths, I like to think Bellamy tipped off his old mate Madge

Almost forgot, I can understand why Benny was reluctant about giving away Ashley Taylor . . . now there's a player the Warriors could use

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
How good is Jason Taylor, he's got his mob of discontents past two of the pre season favourites already, I always knew he'd become a Supercoach if people stopped knocking him down. How smart are the Tigers' management backing him against the wishes of loudmouth supporters

I loves it, cheered for Tigers not because I wanted them to win more than Manly but because I wanted you know who to lose

POPEYE

Coach
If you delve into the life of Sisa Waqa you'd have a far better understanding of why the NRL should do all it can to envelope Fiji. The bloke never wanted to be a League player, always wanted to be a Rah Rah and only used League to make a name for himself.

If the ARU hadn't of used petty bullshit to refuse him a contract with the Brumbies he never would have given the 13 man game a look in. Wouldn't take much for Radradra to turn his back on League either. The NRL need to include Fiji in their thinking as soon as possible

Speaking of thinking, couldn't have Bart Campbell so we'll have to take Todd Greenberg, surely there must be a hundred in between . . . fmd

POPEYE

Coach
'Despite losing to the Eels the Cowboys are keeping the same 17 against the Roosters', I am dumbfounded, the question is by what. Only real point of discussion will be after the game when we see how many baby steps the Roosters take . . . this year's journey more interesting than the destination

Can't imagine too many will be expecting anything more than one forward one back from the Eels, would need a miracle for their backs to meet the Dog's backs on an equal footing. It's a shame Foran doesn't have the forward quality he's used to . . . going to be a painful year for him

How do the Raiders normally go in the Hunter . . . is there a jinx that may beat them

I hope Will Smith will play against the Broncos, the bloke has great energy. How good would it be if Benny gets Hooked, it will take a full 80 on the edge of a seat for that to eventuate but well worth it

Have a soft spot for the Titans that won't go away but Go Taylor Go, you've got a few more posts yet to make a winner . . . I'm dying to see Rat Fink play NSW Cup

Wouldn't you know it, the Warriors turn into NZ when they play Melbourne, Shaun will be up for this one. If you bet on this game you may as well throw a saddle on a fly

With Dugan back at Fullback the Rabbitohs are in for it

Will we witness more of a culture on the way down versus one on the up, it will take more than Brookie to make the difference but I haven't given up hope for Barrett just as I've never given up on Flanno . . . either way the vultures will be jostling