What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
If Klemmer put his hand as lightly as that on a girl's breast in a Cronulla nightclub it would be doubtful anyone would take offence. Cummins is one of the worst referees running around, most games he deserves a slap, he doesn't however sit down to piss like Klein and if the touch didn't strike a chord with him so be it

Won't have to wait long for Dave to f**k up in a more meaningful way, the bloke plays with a Hoover between his ears, I'd rather bet on him doing something stupid than on a game of footy. I admire the way he plays, just not who he plays for, like to see him in Parra colours

Then again I'd like to see his partner Graham in any other club, I'm happy Klemmer hasn't learned to disguise purposeful harm as well as he does. When Dave learns to fool most League supporters there will be a real reason for alarm

POPEYE

Coach
Who would give a shit if quality suffers, the Poms do their best on slow grounds, if every NRL game had what the Widnes/Wigan game had to offer we here could give the f**king whinging away. Fantastic atmosphere with only a small audience, who says the Runcimans' of this game can't make a name for themselves

I needed this game after the offering in NQ last night, the more steps in front of League that Union take the more depressing, organised chaos seems to be winning over structure. I reckon that SL's 'Free Play' brings to League something that Union thrives on, throwing caution to the wind because you can instead of putting down an automatic scrum

Free Play certainly enlivened everyone in the joint, Widnes probably won because of the leg up they got from it . . . good shit all round

POPEYE

Coach
Don't think I've ever been so happy to be proven wrong, the Eels played like they were back at the Nines. Just maybe the interchange reduction is enough to take the porkies back to where they belong, relegated to a 'softening up period' and not an 80 minute brick wall.

POPEYE

Coach
No need for anyone to get their balls in a knot concerning the Bunker, we'll probably need a few more amateur episodes like the Cecchin Affair before John & Todd finally work out that it is not necessary for the referee to hazard a guess any longer . . . why risk making decisions imbecilic

John & Todd could probably do a good rendition of 'Who's On First', hope they don't get embroiled in Foran's quick pat on the referee's back, can't have them confused when they need to concentrate on ridding the game of 'I have a try/I have no try'. Fmd, I like Two-Up as much as anyone but there is a time and place even if Cecchin calling 'heads' and everyone waiting for the coins to land is f**king hilarious

POPEYE

Coach
Looks like 'shutting games down' and 'cruising to a win' is going to be a novelty rather than the norm, except for the NQ game that had masters against apprentices games so far were 80 minute excitement. I thought the Knights were badly done by on the scoreboard, all three games however were all about intensity

Got to give it to Neil Henry, his press conference showed he can talk a good game, maybe he deserves a little more leeway.

POPEYE

Coach
Another two games going down to the wire, favouring Melbourne as I do I wasn't unhappy seeing Souths lose but something has to be done about Jarryd Maxwell, referees are meant to not show their bias so blatantly

How the f**k could the idiot expect us to swallow giving McCrone a penalty after he took two steps off the mark right under his big nose, such incompetency leaves a taste of game manipulation

POPEYE

Coach
Every year I want Melbourne to win The Shield even if I've only ever been to one Storm game, the one in which Smith and Slater didn't play against the Roosters and they lost, I wouldn't wear their colours if I didn't. Each year however I have differing preferences for gf winners, this year it's #1 the Sharks, #2 the Warriors and #3 the Titans . . . last year it was the Cowboys

In my convoluted way of thinking it is why I care that Johnson runs around like a headless chook or that Barba is even allowed to play or that the Titans previously persevered with injury prone players in key positions.

Melbourne played yesterday like a group of teenagers spending a night in a haunted house but the only time I felt they were going to lose was when Robson had the ball. Ingrained discipline won the day for Melbourne just as indecisiveness again lost it for the Warriors . . . keep asking myself why the f**k should I care

Rain won the day for the Dragons but since I wanted Mary to have some respite from doomsayers it was a good result. I was under the impression that excluding Souths players everyone on the field and maybe some in high places also thought it better the Dragons should win . . . all's well that ends well, Souths will win far more games than the Dragons will

Now that the Bunker is proving its worth there's just a few more things to work on imo. Players should play the ball where they are tackled, it is ludicrous to penalise defenders for not getting off quickly or markers not being square if the tackled player is not penalised for stepping sideways/forwards off the mark . . . it is a contradiction of rules

Why do referees continually give penalties against players that want to be penalised when it suits them to be. Why stop an attacking team's momentum inside the 'red zone' when penalties can wait until play breaks down. Klein in particular is a momentum killer

POPEYE

Coach
Here I am holidaying on the beautiful Sunshine Coast with absolutely nfi what's going to transpire this RL weekend but the thread needs a bump so here goes. Burgess is probably lucky he's not playing against the Dogs, Graham will undoubtedly continue efforts to prove he's the best Pom, which he's not, safer for Sam to miss this one than be damaged for the next few. Dogs can't play any worse and Souths will hope there's no mud

Cowboys at their best will beat this Bronco's roster at it's best . . . guess what the $64,000 question is

Ashley Taylor will prove a better buy than Sezer . . . no that won't work, Aidan's missing . . . again. Sticky's quintessential should beat Henry's rag tag shouldn't they

I was in transit so didn't watch Barrett beat Flanno, Roosters have to improve in little steps and the Seagles have to fly. The process is worth the watch

Dragons/Panthers, the Surprise Twins, whatever either do everyone is going to take with a grain of salt, both need to keep on keeping on before anyone takes them seriously. This game has to provide some sort of roll-on for one of them

Warriors have to beat the Knights don't they?

Tigers/Eels could be match of the round . . . I like the Eels because I don't like Farah . . . better than throwing a f**king dart at a board

Like I said I didn't see the Sharks play but I did see Melbourne take the points against the Warriors and as I said at the beginning I've no f**king idea who's going to win this one

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Was going to bump it for you by asking if you're alright...coupla days during the season with no comment could mean anything. Glad to see its relaxation...

POPEYE

Coach
No Fox where I am so I had to sit through Ch9's embarassing amateur production last night, didn't catch the Souths game and glad I didn't. I was worried before the game the Broncos may put a big score on the Cowboys but the concern evaporated when possession had the home team nowhere near enough in front at oranges

Benny looked as though he'd seen a ghost and was more ashen as the game went on, the cowboys were clearly the better team, they learnt more from the gf than the Broncos did and if they'd had the same amount of ball at the beginning it would've been no contest . . . Green must be content being only beaten by rotten luck and a pathetic excuse for obstruction

johnny plath

Juniors
It's pretty simple..if you don't run through and take out defenders you won't get penalized. .what was the rotten luck. Only true dud that wasn't 50 50 was the Gillette no try imo.i think broncos take the two because teams continually infringe on them when they're in an attacking zone and don't get players sin b8nned.it might not be a professional foul but it's clearly part of teams game plan. I think they have apretty high try rate when they are inside opposition 20s but if opposition lay all over them without losing players taking 2 every time makes sense. You sure as sit won't score tries with slow play the balls and offside defenders.

POPEYE

Coach
Thanks for the bump JP, I've never been a devout follower of 'rules is rules', more of a common sense devotee am I. Being foremost a RL supporter I like to see the obstruction rule enforced when effective defenders are interfered with, none of that Hail Mary finger crossing shit for me, but whatever makes your day

I've only been able to watch the Ch9 shit where I am but from everything I've heard with the games being so close who gives a damn about a few hiccups. . . what goes around will come around.

Pity that every team doesn't play each other twice and each team wins every home game with points for and against determining The Shield. Seems a lot of games have had penalties when they matter favouring the home side. Nothing wrong with the Bums On Seats getting their money's worth mind you . . . as long as the merry go round lets everyone on sooner or later

POPEYE

Coach
Listened to the Warriors/Knights where the commentators reckoned one patheticism triumphed over another and the Eels/Tigers where Matty Elliot had the least amount of dropped ball surviving. Missed the Sharks/Storm entirely but didn't matter because the vibes were bad, Maloney always grows an extra leg against Melbourne

If what Bellamy says about his time at Melbourne he's never seen all the tries through the middle is true then yesterday was truly a shit day for RL supporters everywhere

Being a Flanno protagonist I can't say I'm too upset, having the catawauling from the anti-Flanagan wankers put on hold is worth the Melbourne comeuppance

Must add in the games I listened to all spruikers had the referees wasting everyone's time with needless adjudication

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
Wonder how long it will take Mary to realise that our only viable attacking gameplan is "just give it to Dugan"? Aside from the bit of Marshall brilliance every now and then, Dugan is about all we've got in terms of an attacking threat.

beave

Coach
I want to see more of Matt Ballin and his top knot in the #7 position........... Surely that has got to get a run again sooner rather than later?

POPEYE

Coach
With Sam in and Dale out the Seagles can't possibly beat the Rabbitohs . . . even with DCE playing you'd have to bet London to a brick on Souths

Titans might give the Broncos a run for their money, it's a case of steady as she goes against rip shit or bust for a team everyone expects to take the spoon, I for one wouldn't like to see the bubble burst. Return of the old and trusted firm of Reed & Oates is likely to be the fly in the ointment

I'm not even going to guess what the Storm/Knights game will throw up

Tigers week for up and Sharks for down? . . . I've always been a tails better but not sure which one should be heads or tails. With any luck Robbie will be hooked and Cherrington will come on to save the day. The mighty Gal is back and if anyone can cancel out Farah . . . what a f**king pair

Cowboys should smack the Dragons . . . says I refilling another Bourban

Crikey, if the Warriors let the Roosters get the better of them bring on a second NZ team. At least the Roosters admit to being amateurs this season

On paper the match of the round at Pirtek, great match-ups all over the park

Raiders will be more concerned about getting out of Belmore alive than playing good footy, the joint always was and always will be a f**king shit hole . . . to the opposition like Leichhardt without the charisma. Sticky will do it tough

POPEYE

Coach
If you haven't predicted the winners of all five games so far you should give tipping a miss, doesn't matter that the Seagles with even an ounce of luck would've won or that Melbourne didn't deserve victory or that officialdom did their best to thwart the Sharks

I managed to find Fox yesterday and at the end of it was left wondering why I bothered

POPEYE

Coach
Lot better yesterday, you could say the Warriors struggled to beat a team that hasn't won a game but the Roosters played out of their skins considering the roster they've got and probably deserved the win more. I can imagine the Johnson beatup without bothering to read the predicted bullshit . . . SKD best on the field

Great spectacle at Pirtek Stadium, best thing about the game was both teams are growing some balls, the score was just incidental. Arthur has brought Manly and Hook has introduced some Broncos to teams that previously might have rolled over. Both these mobs will prove more than just a chicane this season, the Eels especially will be contenders for the cup if not The Shield

POPEYE

Coach
Just now packing up to return home from the Sunshine and my missus asks me if i want to know the Raiders/Dogs score. Of course I said why the f**k would I want to know the score if I purposely didn't watch the game

She comes back with 'suit yourself, you don't care the Raiders trounced them 22-8'. What else could I say but 'f**king hallelujah'

POPEYE

Coach
Back just in time, the best thing going for the Dragons is every man and his dog are on the Broncos, would have to be a severe case of shit happens if a team with McCrone making the decisions can beat anyone . . . if so, maybe Trump will make President